Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times

Advertisements

I'm considering switching to Alltel. I've searched the forums and it seems that many posters are happy with their signal locally. I am wondering about how the signal is when leaving traveling out of NC'? I have Suncom now and it's horrible when I go see my family in MD and NJ. My phone can receive calls but not make any. I'm supposed to be able to use my phone nationally. The whole states of MD and NJ are dark blue on the coverage map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
I can't speak for now, but when I went to college (Virginia Tech) from home (Newport News, VA at the time), I was ALWAYS on roam. A huge bill made the whole family switch to Verizon.

My wife got her first cell phone in Raleigh through Alltel but hated it when she went to Tech as well. So she switched to Verizon.

Maybe the signal is best nearer large metros or something.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:50 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,586 times
I've had Alltel for about 7 or 8 years now and love them. I can't think of any place that I do not get reception. I have heard that they have been purchased by Verizon so I'm wondering if that would only strenghten their receptions (double the cell towers)??? I would definitely recommend Alltel.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:41 AM

30 posts, read 105,655 times
I heard that, too. Can't comment on Alltel, but Verizon reception is good just about anywhere you go.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Ive heard a LOT about how well Verizon works, in areas where many others dont. Im sure its a great service, and I like how you can listen to a preview of a ringtone before buying one.
Ive been with T Mobile forever (about 6 years now?) and guess its just grown on me, there are few places it doesnt work...but then, what phone doesnt have 110% coverage 110% of the time anyway?
Another feature I like is the simcard. Everything is on a card so you can simply take it out of one phone and put in another. Some services dont have that ability so when you get a new phone, you have to have everything transferred over to it, if they can do it. Address book, saved text messages, etc. Its all on a card that you can put in any new phone. Take it out, put in new phone, done.
And of course, after all these years, changes arent really that appealing to me, though for the right reasons, might consider it. (A better plan, maybe?)

Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times
Believe me, I'd love to have T-Mobile. I had it for a year back in NJ and I had great service for a great price. Unfortunately T-Mobile isn't in NC and isn't planning on moving into this market (I checked already). Verizon is good, but I do not have Verizon money. Reception isn't the deal breaker at this time. Price is more of the issue. We rarely travel, but when we do, I'd like to know that my phone would work.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Most areas have good Alltel reception from what I have seen.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
I have Alltel. I live in NJ but have the free "in network" roam feature so its "free" Overall I like them but also heard they are being bought by Verizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel