Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,054,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Cougar you forgot one huge detail - how much time in each city? A day? A couple days? A week?
Makes a big difference in the recommendations you are getting.

Not sure why people are giving you airline sites. By this choice of destinations I must assume you already have an airfare agenda preset...otherwise I would recommend a different agenda altogether for your trip.

edit: I note you say you haven't purchased tickets yet. In that case my suggestion, based on a typical vacation of a week, to stick to ONE country only. There is much more to England than London, much more to France than Paris, and much more to Switz. than Geneva. Geneva's practically part of France.
The whole trip can not exceed 15 days. -time off from work -
I haven't really made up my mind on how many days for each city, but I would like to fly from Houston to Paris on a direct fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 AM

355 posts, read 1,500,981 times
I would include Bath and York to London if i had the time. My husband and i made the trip in 2003. We spent 11 days in the UK and we still couldn't get enough of the city. Simply fabulous!

We visited the Netherlands, Belgium (Brugge) and France (Paris mostly) in June 2007. 14 days for the 3 countries..just not enough time.

I would suggest a couple of countries at a time. If you are doing UK, spend atleast 10 days there. Its worth it. You will enjoy your vacation a lot more that way. You can soak in the city..

Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
The whole trip can not exceed 15 days. -time off from work -
I haven't really made up my mind on how many days for each city, but I would like to fly from Houston to Paris on a direct fly.
15 days including travel time?
You'll lose a day getting to Europe, but gain a day coming back.
I would probably take one country out of the trip, myself.
But if you don't want to do that, do what I suggested back in post #8: figure out a loop. You should probably fly in and out of London.
But if you want to fly into Paris, you could do something like:
Paris, 4 days, day trip to Reims, Versailles or Giverny
Strasbourg/Alsace, 3 days
Geneva/whatever, 3 days
Fly to London, 3 days, this includes day trips to Bath/Stonehenge
Eurostar to Paris, fly home

Remember, in between each destination, you have travel time to consider.
You could maybe stick a night train in there some place, but too many of those could make a whirlwind trip even more exhausting.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:28 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,054,952 times
what would be the minimun amount in US $$$ needed for 2 people to spend one week in Paris, and take a few excurions and a one week in Geneva with a few excursions?
-let's assume that those two people are not born into luxury-
Thanks

Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
what would be the minimun amount in US $$$ needed for 2 people to spend one week in Paris, and take a few excurions and a one week in Geneva with a few excursions?
-let's assume that those two people are not born into luxury-
Thanks
A budget-minded backpacker is looking at $75-$100 a day.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:17 PM

365 posts, read 1,251,087 times
Spend some time at www.ricksteves.com. He writes travel guides, has a PBS show, DVD's. You can join one of his tours or there's info in his books and on his website about how to plan your own tour. My family and I have taken his suggestions and have used his guides all over Europe, and they are excellent. His website has answers to about all of your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel