Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,124,112 times

Advertisements

typically I only carry a purse loaded with books, cd's and such and have always hated the hassle that people using carry ons caused. But airlines are forcing travelers to now use a carry on with their extra baggage charge. So for anyone who knows--what in the way of make-up is allowed in a carry on? Also lotions, etc. For my medicine I always put into a ziplock baggie but I'm not certain how many of those I'm allowed. I called the airline 3x to ask and once got someone who didn't seem to speak or understand ENGLISH and twice I was on hold so long I hung up.
If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 AM

362 posts, read 1,714,967 times
what is acceptable in a carry on in zip loc containers is pretty clearly listed on the TSA website: www.tsa.gov

Happy traveling!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:52 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,059,496 times
Honu1 said almost everything you need -- the TSA website. Read it carefully and follow the instructions to the letter. If you don't, your items will be confiscated and discarded. Rules are rules. Don't phone the airline -- they don't make these rules and don't know the answers. Don't phone the airport -- they don't make the rules either and also don't know the answers. The TSA website is your source of info and their wording is very specific and very clear.

As for the SIZE of a carryon piece of luggage, check on your airline's website, or this is American Airlines' website page. All the airlines have the same rules:
Carry-on Baggage Allowance

All cosmetics that are NOT liquids, gels, creams or sprays are allowed. Lipsticks, cover sticks, eyeliner sticks are allowed. See the TSA rules for the liquids, gels, creams and sprays. If the limits are less than you want to take, then take only the limits and buy more at your destination. If you try to hide liquids, gels, creams and sprays in your carryon or handbag, you CAN be searched and you CAN find your stuff confiscated and discarded and you will quite possibly be delayed past flight time. This is the federal government trying to keep us all safe from being blown up in the sky, so it's a really good idea to just go along. Have a fun trip!

Last edited by allforcats; 07-25-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,221,537 times
USPS should be at every airport checkin location, IMO

Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 PM

gee, yea I can really see where my Maybelline make-up could be a cause for concern. Sheeeese, I guess most women are modern day McGyvers and would use make-up to make a friggen bomb. Idiots who make up this crap

Old 07-25-2008, 05:12 PM

and BTW-thanks....good information there. Some of it is ridiculous and down right stupid but thanks for directing me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
what is acceptable in a carry on in zip loc containers is pretty clearly listed on the TSA website: www.tsa.gov

Happy traveling!

Last edited by Élan vital; 07-25-2008 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-25-2008, 05:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,780,042 times
Bascally, you check TSA's rules plus the rules on your airline's website. Then you go with the strictest between the two for each rule.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,004,384 times
It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. Here's what I've done, and so far, I've been able to sail right through.

Make sure you have the proper sized ziploc baggie. Anything that might remotely be considered "liquid" goes in there. I'm amazed at how many things you can fit in if the sizes are small enough! The key then is to keep that baggie immediately available. I keep mine in its own separate outside pocket on my bag (I know other people who put it right on the very top of their carryon so it's the first thing you see when you open the bag). When it's my turn to go through security, bingo, out comes Zippy. As soon as I'm through, bingo, back it goes into its little home away from home.

It's a little awkward remembering that my mascara and lipgloss can't live in the same pouch as my eyeshadow and blush but after a trip or two, you just get used to it. It sure beats having to wait while all your stuff is being picked through.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 PM

thanks all! Like I said I normally pack everything away but I can play that game the airlines are forcing me to play.
I bought the largest suitcase available that meets the airline guidelines; which I will check. Then I bought the dreaded carry on; which I despise and always grumbled about others doing. But hey--I will be traveling for a month and have to pack enough clothes for an extended time. The airline tkts cost enough and I'll be damned if I'll pay to check 2 bags.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:30 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,780,042 times
My last trip I made the mistake of a "small toothbrush". I bought a small container of toothpaste which came with it's own small travel toothbrush. That was a nightmare. Next time I'll be sure to take a regular sized one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel