Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Actually, the liquid foods (which includes aerosol cheese, jarred peanut butter) is part of the liquid rule. All 3 oz (or smaller) containers of liquid must fit into 1 quart ziploc bag. Only one bag per person, food or otherwise.

You can take hard foods from home like cookies, peanuts, crackers, beef jerky, etc. Not sure about fruit.

You can also take any food stuff you bought (after going through security) with you on the plane, as long as it doesn't exceed the airline's carryon limit.
Yes, they have to be in a ziploc baggie.

I have 3 baggies w/ me on every trip 2 of which are quart sized. One is a large gallon sized one for meds. No one has ever said a word.

Actually, this is not always true. In Cabo (Mexico) not even a bottle of water purchased inside the secured area can be taken on the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Besides, don't you know if you mixed Campbell's soup (not the store brand ) and a Jello pudding (has to be the right flavor) it can make a potential smoke bomb
Well, then it's a good thing it was confiscated! Better the smoke bomb go off inside the greedy, hungry TSA agent ...

Old 07-31-2008, 04:50 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I have 3 baggies w/ me on every trip 2 of which are quart sized. One is a large gallon sized one for meds. No one has ever said a word.
I find this kind of hard to believe, unless you're not talking about liquids. I've seen plenty of people get stopped for trying to carry less than that.

I wonder if you are just trying to cause trouble for people on this forum, because they *will* get stopped if they try to carry more than regulations permit.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:09 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
I'm not trying to give bad information; but I have carried 2 baggies before. One had meds and the other hand sanitizer, lotion, etc. No one ever said I could only carry one. I thought as long as you produce it for them to scan and see then that was all necessary.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I'm not trying to give bad information; but I have carried 2 baggies before. One had meds and the other hand sanitizer, lotion, etc. No one ever said I could only carry one. I thought as long as you produce it for them to scan and see then that was all necessary.
I went thru security FOUR TIMES last week alone (3 different airports and International as well). Each time I had 3 ziploc baggies and one of them was GALLON sized w/ all of the meds in it. I travel frequently and as long as they are 3oz or smaller and IN a quart sized ziploc (exceptions made for meds due to sizes of them) no one has EVER said a word, done a further search, etc. No problems ever with having more than 1.

If someone got something confiscated it was not because they had more than 1 ziploc baggie. It could have been the contents of what was in the baggie be it the item itself was not allowed or it exceeded the 3 oz rule. Heck, when we have traveled w/ my daughters nebulizer I thought FOR SURE they are going to search that thing. They never blinked an eye.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I find this kind of hard to believe, unless you're not talking about liquids. I've seen plenty of people get stopped for trying to carry less than that.

I wonder if you are just trying to cause trouble for people on this forum, because they *will* get stopped if they try to carry more than regulations permit.
I'm not trying to cause any trouble at all to anyone on here - don't know why I would even do that at all. Just giving out my own personal experience. As I mentioned just above I was thru security 4x's last week and had MINIMIUM of 3 ziploc baggies and one was gallon sized w/ meds in it. Not even a blink of an eye was to be had because of it. We travel frequently and I always have 3 and have had 4 if it is a long trip. All of it WAS indeed "liquid" of some sort: shampoo, conditioner, moisterizer, hand lotion, liquid foundation, nail polish, bath wash, toothpaste, etc.

The people you have seen get stopped could have had something in their possession that was not allowed at all or was in a larger package than 3 oz. If you have a 7 oz tube of toothpaste and over half of it is gone that is still not allowed. Some people do try that though. Without knowing EXACTLY what they were getting stopped for it would be hard to say.

The ONLY time I've EVER gotten stopped is if I forgot to put a liquid that was in the bottom of my purse in a baggie and 1 time they looked in my makeup bag to verify it was indeed liquid foundation. Some TSA agents are pickier than others but all they have ever said is, "okay" once they see it is something allowed.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Quote:
Do you have to put meds in a baggie? You can't just leave them in your purse?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
not sure if you have to, although I think that's the rule. I do, so they can be checked if security wants to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Do you have to put meds in a baggie? You can't just leave them in your purse?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Quote:
not sure if you have to, although I think that's the rule. I do, so they can be checked if security wants to do so.
OK. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 PM

201 posts, read 655,958 times
It's been my experience that you can leave the meds in your purse- I've never had anyone ask. When you get to the front of the security lines, there are usually signs that say that ALL liquids must be in 3oz containers or smaller AND must all fit in ONE (per person) quart-sized ziploc bag. I've seen these signs everytime I've flown through DIA...other airports, I was too tired to care to read. Oh well...

From what I gather, if you have a ton of meds, you should put them in a separate bag. If you have a couple bottles (I usually have advil, motrin, tylenol, plus claritin and benadryl), you are okay to have them go through in your purse.

Because I travel so much, I usually keep the ziploc bag in an outer pocket of my carry-on for easy access (you have to take it out and put it in a separate tray). Don't carry drinks or any soft food through- I've seen many people miss breakfast, lunch, and dinner and/or their snack because they forgot. I usually pack another ziploc with crackers or cookies, as well as a nutrigrain bar or granola bar. Then, once I clear security, I buy a bottle of water.

Of course, if you have to pack a checked bag because you'll be gone a while (I've had to a few times), I carry an "emergency- what-if-they-lose-my-bag" kit with small amounts of what I need and put the full sized bottles in the checked bag. There's nothing that says they can't go in that bag.

I'm also notorious for forgetting that I have my mascara in my purse- along with contact fluid and my case- I think the guards are convinced that I must need them right then and there, because I've never been stopped at any airport.

Good luck to you and have a wonderful trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel