Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
as if the parents want the children to cry the whole trip! come on now!
if people are such a nuisence, then its time to get into your car and drive all alone to your destinations.

I usually drive everywhere I go. The only few exceptions being when I had to fly for work (only 2 times in 3 years), when I flew to TX for a doctor's appt. (flew down and back on the same day), when my husband and I had to fly to OR for the funeral of our baby niece, when I joined the military, and when I flew to TX for my surgery (although thinking back on it I wish I had driven down for surgery.)

Luckily I haven't been too uncomfortable while flying, but it's not something I like and it's something I try to avoid if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:33 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Actually, you could fill the tube with that oxygen rich "liquid air". The kids won't drown - maybe gag a bit as they start to breath it in, but after a few minutes they'll be like little fish, and the sound won't carry through the liquid like it will the surrounding cabin in the open air. You could even mix a little Nyquil in with the liquid.

Oh, it was just a thought.
Hey the tube sounds great hmmm personaly i would be happy in the tube myself, no grouchy husband (I love the man however he is no fun to fly with) no kiddies as much as I love them. Just me in my medicated tube of liquid bliss, geee I might get more than 4 hours sleep if its a long flight.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Illustrates my point about people's inferiority complexes perfectly: just because a couple had children, suddenly it's the mother's fault the airline screwed up the seating assignments, and no one wants to move, and the guy gets sick, and the cart is annoying. Let's see, is there anything else you forgot to pin on her? Like the fall of the Roman Empire, maybe?

There have always been and always will be children in the world. The fact that it annoys you is your own fault, not theirs. Since somehow eliminating children and parents is not an option, I suggest you approach the problem by working on your own issues.
The airline did not mess up the seating. From what I read, the MIL screwed it up. Yeah the guy couldv'e been nice and moved, but perhaps he had good reason. Why should it be his fault? He was just sitting there waiting to get to his destination. As far as it annoying me, hey children are alright sometimes depending on the parent. My deal was that I had a seat alone, or w/o children that I picked out online by the window for my return flight. I ended up getting delayed for hours and once I finally got on the plane I decided to help out a mom and her kid (dad was sitting elsewhere) and instead of having an enjoyable somewhat quiet trip home, I got some bratty kid...all because I didn't do what this "business guy" did. Next time, I am playing the role of the business guy, or whoever it is that doesn't want some kid by him. Now if a kid just happens to be sitting there to begin with, that's fine, but to welcome it on, no thanks. I'm just sick of people thinking just because they have children they should be given special treatment. Same goes for the pregnant lady who has to stand...I got here first, my seat. I didn't get her pregnant. Sucks for her my feet hurt, I think I'll stay seated.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Same goes for the pregnant lady who has to stand...I got here first, my seat. I didn't get her pregnant. Sucks for her my feet hurt, I think I'll stay seated.
Awwww......come on. I bet you didn't mean that.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Being pregnant isn't a disease. I was perfectly capable of walking and standing like a normal person throughout both of my pregnancies. Just because you've managed to breed doesn't give you more rights than any of the rest of us.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
The airline did not mess up the seating. From what I read, the MIL screwed it up. Yeah the guy couldv'e been nice and moved, but perhaps he had good reason. Why should it be his fault? He was just sitting there waiting to get to his destination. As far as it annoying me, hey children are alright sometimes depending on the parent. My deal was that I had a seat alone, or w/o children that I picked out online by the window for my return flight. I ended up getting delayed for hours and once I finally got on the plane I decided to help out a mom and her kid (dad was sitting elsewhere) and instead of having an enjoyable somewhat quiet trip home, I got some bratty kid...all because I didn't do what this "business guy" did. Next time, I am playing the role of the business guy, or whoever it is that doesn't want some kid by him. Now if a kid just happens to be sitting there to begin with, that's fine, but to welcome it on, no thanks. I'm just sick of people thinking just because they have children they should be given special treatment. Same goes for the pregnant lady who has to stand...I got here first, my seat. I didn't get her pregnant. Sucks for her my feet hurt, I think I'll stay seated.
Like I said -- everyone has a God-given right to be an a-hole. Of course, some of us choose to opt out of being a-holes without expecting anything in return. But not you. And that is your prerogative. Being an a-hole is a fine moral right; you just don't have a moral right to have everyone pretend you are not one, when you are in fact acting like one. If you are flying abroad and need to fill out a customs form, I am totally within my rights not to give you my pen. Why should I let you use the ink I paid for?? It's your fault you forgot a pen, and you deserve to suffer the full consequences of committing that horrible, horrible crime, up to and including an execution by firing squad behind the airport as soon as we land! Sure, it's my right to act that way -- but it's petty, and mean, and anti-social. (And all that smugness about rights and entitlements will evaporate fast when you stand at the only open passport control window slowly filling out the form with the pen the officer gave you, while the passengers who would not lend you one on the plane are languishing in a line behind you.) Same with giving people any other kind of courtesy -- you don't have to give it, but withholding it often makes you an a-hole, who might very well get his sooner than he expects. That's just a fact of life.

As for children -- again, I don't see the reason to single them out. I've ended up sitting next to "bratty" adults lots of times, annoying me with their garlic breath, stupid conversation, even stupider flirting, coughing, beeping medical devices, smelly feet, loud ipods, and excess carry-on luggage. By the way -- I don't know of any airline that allows you to reserve a seat without children next to you. You are entitled to one seat and one seat only; you don't get to control who sits next to you, unless you reserve those seats as well.

Last edited by Redisca; 09-22-2008 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 12:19 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Sure he did. I commuted to work until my due date, and people routinely shoved me out of the way on the subway to beat me to a seat -- even when I was visibly pregnant. Not that being pregnant gives me any special rights not to get assaulted, or anything.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:35 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
i'm sure the obese dude is just as embarrassed as you are pissed. that's my take.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i think this is so sad. this country has no problem overcharging for produce, and for supersizing every meal, for filling our foods with so many preservatives, and making half of the population obese. food that is bad for you costs less than food that is good for you! and yes some people eat themselves into oblivion--usually due to emotional reasons.
have a heart. no one wants to be obese!!! and i can imagine how terrible that poor guy felt when he realized he had to sit in a seat and could not put the armrest down around him. and if he is an emotional eater, i am betting he got off that plane and made himself feel better with some more food.

i dont know the answer to whether or not obese people should be charged more. i just feel like we need to remember that these passengers are not just a passenger, not just a number, but a person with feelings.
Has everyone lost their minds? So what your saying is we should give up on fairness and LOGIC because someone feels bad?Why should it be fair to dicriminate against the thin by forcing them to give up part of a seat that they paid for? This country is in the shape its in because of reasoning like this ,a complete lack of logic.Feelings are niether right or wrong logic is.LOGIC RULES

Old 04-18-2009, 10:26 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times
I saw something on the TV on the news that if you can't fit in your seat, you will pay double for another seat, if that seat is available, if not, you have to wait till the next flight if there's room.

Well both my neighbors are obese, husband and wife, not genetic, I guess they won't be flying anywhere soon. Oh and the son is too, but he does workout at the gym and orders a pizza 11PM at night.

I don't want to be crowded either, the plane is tight enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel