Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-88 View Post
Is it so very hard to bring your own water and snacks? Whenever the bride and I fly, we take some water, some fruit, and some cut up veggies. Hell...the longest flight in the country is only six hours. How much food and drink do you need?

Has anyone bought a beer in a professional ball park lately, and they don't even have to pay for jet fuel.
Have you flown lately? Where exactly are you buying those 3 oz. bottles of spring water? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
We just returned from our flying trip. We went to Chicago on US Air. The flight was uneventful, was on time and yes they charged $2.00 for water or sodas, $7.50 for beer. We filled our bottles up at the fountains before boarding. You also can take on food and water or sodas purchased after the security check is done.
On the return trip from Toronto we flew on Air Canada that is partnered with United. We got free water, sodas, and juices offered several times on the 4 hour flight. Beer and food they charged for. We had free movies with a free headset. Though they announced that they were charging for headsets starting Oc t1st. We took on food we bought in the airport. The plane was on time and again un-eventful.
We booked a long time ago and did not have to pay the baggage charges.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah090206 View Post
US Air will be charging $1 for sodas and coffee now. I know its not much in the grand scheme of things, but what's next? Charging to use the restroom? ...
They cannot charge for the restroom. Some smartass will "go" without using the restroom

Old 08-28-2008, 04:07 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,676 times
I am an x-airline employee and still have several friends working at USAirways, from what I hear from them, the Flight Attendants are loving it. No one is complaining or buying, more time for them to sit on the jump seat and read the paper!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:30 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I said we should give the water away, and then put a coin slot on the restroom.
If we added the dollar to the ticket, you would have to pay sales tax on it.

This is strictly my opinion with nothing to back it up.
I don't think the buck is to simply make money. I think they are trying to discourage people from wanting something to drink. Once demand drops, we can stop carrying around so much extra weight, and save fuel. Most of our flights are short hop 2 hours or less. I know that I can go that long without eating or drinking. Long haul is a different story.

I'm quoting myself because I found this recent article very interesting.

US Airways is Happy That Nobody is Buying Drinks | Travel Industry Blog | BNET

Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-88 View Post
Is it so very hard to bring your own water and snacks? Whenever the bride and I fly, we take some water, some fruit, and some cut up veggies. Hell...the longest flight in the country is only six hours. How much food and drink do you need?

Has anyone bought a beer in a professional ball park lately, and they don't even have to pay for jet fuel.

snacks...ok....but since when do they allow water on flights? the last time I took a domestic flight they asked me to throw away my water bottle before I got on (Boston to Seattle)

Korean Air and Singapore Air are the best airlines (too bad its for overseas only) not only are the flight attendants gorgeous (unlike old crabby women on domestic flights) but they treat you well with free drinks, beer, snacks, etc

Old 09-25-2008, 09:00 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
You cannot take water through security but you can drink or empty it before you get to security and then refill it at a water fountain. I did 6 flights this year, multiple airlines, some international and some in US and was able to take water on every flight.

PS - I would rather have a strong flight attendant that can easily move those bulky carry-on bags then some pretty flight attendant any day.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:31 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
One more reason why I never fly, I'll drive any day. Yes gas is so expensive to drive long distance anymore, and yes it takes a lot longer especially if your going cross country, but I can eat and drink what I want, stop and see the sights anytime I want, and control my own trip. It's worth the extra costs, plus no fussing & fighting at the airports.
It is so NOT worth it. First of all, you'll never be able to travel off of the continent. Secondly, unless you have tons of vacation time, you probably can't take more than one substantial trip per year. If paying $25 to check a bag and $1 to buy a soda on a flight deters you from flying, then I must assume that you're not that interested in seeing anything outside of the country. I hate flying. Not because of the cost, but because i get antsy. However, in the time that it takes me to drive to work, spend 8 hours there and drive back home, I have been to Hawaii (you'll never get to see it), Europe and South America (a very long drive). I pity you that you put more importance on which snacks you can eat when traveling and can't handle some lines at the aiport than seeing interesting places that you can't drive to. The airport isn't that bad. You go through customs and then you can eat, drink, read, etc. until you board your flight. I hope you reconsider this. If you can afford to drive cross country, you can afford to fly somewhere. I go through Customs at the airport alot. I have never waited more than 20 minutes. And I can get ALOT further than you can driving AND I can buy snacks prior to boarding and bring them on the flight. Paying $1 for a can of Coke is totally worth seeing the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel