Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:05 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,640 times

Advertisements

My family is going to Europe in October, and I would to get your tips/advice(s) on the following cities:

London(staying 2 days):
what areas would you recommend to see/visit. any other ideas are welcomed.

Amsterdam(staying 2 days):

Lucerne(staying 2 days):

Innsbruck(staying 2 days):

Venice(staying 2 days):

Rome(staying 2 days):

Nice(staying 2 days):

Thanks!

Last edited by Cougar31; 08-17-2008 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:02 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
The city I know the best is Nice. The old city (Vieux Nice) is a great area to stroll around day and night. And of course, you can't pass up walking along the coast on the Promenade des Anglais and the Quai des Etats-Unis. There's also a great park just east of the old city - "La Colline du Chateau," situated on a hill overlooking the city and the port.

My absolute favourite place in the area is actually the village of Eze, which is a few miles east of Nice. It's a tiny Medieval village perched high up on a mountain overlooking the Mediterranean. The drive alone along the Moyenne Corniche / Avenue Bella Vista makes the trip worth it. The views are spectacular. The village has lots of quaint little shops and an exotic garden at the top of the village where the old castle ruins lie. There's a small entrance fee for the garden but the views from the top are *definitely* worth it. Across from the old village is a popular perfume shop and there are also a few nice restaurants in the area.

If you take the bus from Nice to Eze, then you can hike down a path just east of the old village which leads to the coast (Eze Bord-de-Mer or Eze-sur-Mer). There's a lovely little beach here used by the locals. And there's a train station just nearby, so you can easily hop a train back to Nice.

Nice also has the splendid St-Nicolas Russian Orthodox Cathedral, which is worth a visit. Just north of the city is the Cimiez area, which contains the Matisse Museum, a great park area with Roman ruins, and the Cimiez Monastery. The monastery offers a beautiful garden and excellent views of the area.

Let me know if you'd like any more info on Nice

Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
Default London

London is a wonderful city to visit! Definitely plan to visit the British Museum - Welcome to the British Museum. It's one of the world's most comprehensive collection of objects from Egyptian, Roman, Chinese, Arab, African, Native American, etc. cultures. You'll see art, money, all kinds of stuff. the Rosetta Stone is there. You could spend all day there. Another don't miss is the The National Gallery, London. It probably has the best art collection outside the Louvre. My favorite painting Portrait of Giovanni (?) Arnolfini and his Wife ('The Arnolfini Portrait') is there. It was so cool to see it! I liked this museum so much I went back on another day. Both these museums are free.

I just got out with my camera and walked. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes. I went to St. Pauls for Evensong service and to the Globe to see a play (buy a ticket before you go).

Probably with London you can't go wrong with anything you decide to see. On other trips I've been to the Tower, Westminster Abbey, Parliment, the Victoria and Albert and to see a play.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
London(staying 2 days):
Hop-on Hop-off Double Decker Bus Tour
Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace
British Library
British Museum
Tower of London
Tate Modern
Westminster Abby

Amsterdam(staying 2 days):
Rijks museum Museum
Van Gogh Museum
Canal Boat Ride
Anne Frank House

Venice(staying 2 days):
St. Mark’s Square
St. Mark’s Basilica
Doge’s Palace
Murano, the Glass Island

Rome(staying 2 days):
Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel
Colosseum
Roman Forman
Pantheon
Spanish Steeps

Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Man, I just don't understand why people do those whirlwind tours of EUrope. 2 days in each location I assume also includes travel time, packing, etc, so really you only have a day in each location -
My recommendation, stay home and watch the travel channel.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:26 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Man, I just don't understand why people do those whirlwind tours of EUrope. 2 days in each location I assume also includes travel time, packing, etc, so really you only have a day in each location -
I agree. You are covering a lot of distance for very brief stays. Even if you are flying, you will be spending more time at the airports than at the destination cities... awake that is.

How are you planning on getting around?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
The city I know the best is Nice. The old city (Vieux Nice) is a great area to stroll around day and night. And of course, you can't pass up walking along the coast on the Promenade des Anglais and the Quai des Etats-Unis. There's also a great park just east of the old city - "La Colline du Chateau," situated on a hill overlooking the city and the port.

My absolute favourite place in the area is actually the village of Eze, which is a few miles east of Nice. It's a tiny Medieval village perched high up on a mountain overlooking the Mediterranean. The drive alone along the Moyenne Corniche / Avenue Bella Vista makes the trip worth it. The views are spectacular. The village has lots of quaint little shops and an exotic garden at the top of the village where the old castle ruins lie. There's a small entrance fee for the garden but the views from the top are *definitely* worth it. Across from the old village is a popular perfume shop and there are also a few nice restaurants in the area.

If you take the bus from Nice to Eze, then you can hike down a path just east of the old village which leads to the coast (Eze Bord-de-Mer or Eze-sur-Mer). There's a lovely little beach here used by the locals. And there's a train station just nearby, so you can easily hop a train back to Nice.

Nice also has the splendid St-Nicolas Russian Orthodox Cathedral, which is worth a visit. Just north of the city is the Cimiez area, which contains the Matisse Museum, a great park area with Roman ruins, and the Cimiez Monastery. The monastery offers a beautiful garden and excellent views of the area.

Let me know if you'd like any more info on Nice
what part of Nice is the "Vieux Nice"? (i.e; west, North west, or more detailed location)

Old 08-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
London is a wonderful city to visit! Definitely plan to visit the British Museum - Welcome to the British Museum. It's one of the world's most comprehensive collection of objects from Egyptian, Roman, Chinese, Arab, African, Native American, etc. cultures. You'll see art, money, all kinds of stuff. the Rosetta Stone is there. You could spend all day there. Another don't miss is the The National Gallery, London. It probably has the best art collection outside the Louvre. My favorite painting Portrait of Giovanni (?) Arnolfini and his Wife ('The Arnolfini Portrait') is there. It was so cool to see it! I liked this museum so much I went back on another day. Both these museums are free.

I just got out with my camera and walked. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes. I went to St. Pauls for Evensong service and to the Globe to see a play (buy a ticket before you go).

Probably with London you can't go wrong with anything you decide to see. On other trips I've been to the Tower, Westminster Abbey, Parliment, the Victoria and Albert and to see a play.
Great info. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
As you may be aware, vacation time is very limited in the USA, unlike in Europe where people get 1 month + 1 week + ~15 holidays, then travel can be scheduled on a different basis.
...may be things will change one day...

Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
I agree. You are covering a lot of distance for very brief stays. Even if you are flying, you will be spending more time at the airports than at the destination cities... awake that is.

How are you planning on getting around?
it's a 15-day tour with Globus...and I hope that I will not have to cancel it because of work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel