Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkal View Post
Check your overseas medical insurance coverage. If your policy covers you overseas, make sure it covers emergency expenses such as medical evacuation.
Absolutely the most important tip!!!

AAA sells travel insurance that is originally intended to replace the cost of your TICKET in the event that you cannot go on your trip. the pricing for the insurance is scaled based on your ticket cost. however, the insurance ALSO comes with EVACUATION insurance.
so for example, on our last trip our tickets were $1400 each and the insurance was supposed to be about $125 each. I didn't want to spend $500 on insurance for four of us, so I bought insurance that covered us for a $250 ticket, at a cost of about $30 each.

The important fact is that BOTH insurance packages carried and equal amount of coverage for Evacuation. So for less than $100 i got evacuation insurance for all of us. That is a great buy (I wasn't worried that we wouldnt make the trip, the probability was that we would get there.)

********EVACUATION INSURANCE IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT WHEN TRAVELING INTERNATIONALLY, EVEN IF YOU ARE GOING TO SO CALLED "1ST WORLD COUNTRIES"

my husband's cousin, a perfectly healthy, young woman,was in europe on business, did not wake up after a nap and was brought to the hospital where they determined that she had a rare heart problem. It was a nightmare of epic proportions ending in her being evacuated by air ambulance which cost upwards of $60,000. She is recovering at home now but for spending $30 through AAA she would have not paid anything (or very little)

Always get travel insurrance if traveling internationally, esp. if you don't ahve 100K in the bank to get you home in case of emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Get an International Cell phone plan and make sure your phone is a GSM quad band type. You can call AT&T and make sure you have the international plan. Calling home from Europe is confusing country to country. You can also get a Europe calling card while you're there.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I think I've purchased travel insurance *once* in the many trips we've taken.
I am unconvinced of its worth. If nothing else, be sure to read the fine print.

I agree about not eating at McDonald's in Europe, but their bathrooms can come in handy, especially on a Sunday when every place else is closed.

I think the packing rule of thumb is: take half the clothes and twice the money.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM

I also agree with everyone on packing light. My three week backpack trip in Europe back in May I learned a lot. I had too many clothes! Here is a place that I learned a lot from about traveling light.

Travel Information Depot

Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 PM

47 posts, read 170,777 times
How bout this one:

Pack a good attitude

As cheesy and cliche as it sounds; its true (I travel way too much for my own good). I love how stressed people can get, and yeah I know we all have places to go and people to see. Sometimes we can get really inconvenienced; unexpected over-night somewhere or a mishandled bag (I always try to carry one bag as others have said), but getting stressed or yelling at the gate agent (who's probably been yelled at a few other times) is going to get you very far

Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Get an International Cell phone plan and make sure your phone is a GSM quad band type. You can call AT&T and make sure you have the international plan. Calling home from Europe is confusing country to country. You can also get a Europe calling card while you're there.
Or, if you are taking a laptop and have internet access, get Skype. It is dirt cheap to call home using Skype ($0.021 per minute). I've used Skype on several overseas trips and have been happy with the results, not to mention the low cost.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Better yet, have a skype account and use the many internet cafe's around Europe. A laptop is 5 pounds of extra weight to carry around on vacation. Remember, pack light!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:05 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Yeah, those laptops do get heavy (mine is closer to 7lbs, I think). But, then again, I was on a business trip, so I had to have it anyway . Great suggestions w.r.t. internet cafes, though.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Take an extra nylon bag in your suitcase to put the gifts and souveniers in when you go home. Last summer in England I had to buy an extra one to bring stuff home in!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
[quote=BlueWillowPlate;4929359]I think I've purchased travel insurance *once* in the many trips we've taken.
I am unconvinced of its worth. If nothing else, be sure to read the fine print.

You only need to use it once in a lifetime to be convinced of its value. (Or fear for a loved one's life while they lay sick in a hospital while you scramble to find air ambulance companies and deal with lawyers (to read the fine print), and financial institutions (to finance the ride).

When faced with a $60,000 (to over $100,000 depending on where you are), $30 is a pittance.

We are insured to the hilt in every other aspect of our lives. Home, Auto, Health.

I personally would never travel internationally without it. If I can afford $1400 for a ticket, why not pay the extra .25% for evacuation insurance.

when my husband went to school in the caribbean, the school required the students all have evacuation insurance at a rate of $350 per year, this was in response to a student getting hit and severely injured by a transport (basically a 12 passenger van, or minibus). I don't know how much his parents paid to get him home.

If I paid for insurance on every trip I took internationally for my whole life and never had to use it I would consider myself extremely lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel