Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:25 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times

Advertisements

No, Ive never encountered negative conversations on any of my flights. In fact, Ive actually made friends with other travelers.
One in particular, was a cowboy who does rodeos for a living. We talked all the way from OKC to Phx. We exchanged stories about his life as a rodeo guy and mine as an electrician, lol, and he showed me pics of some of the trophies and belt buckles he won. Really interesting conversations take place in travel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:15 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
No, Ive never encountered negative conversations on any of my flights. In fact, Ive actually made friends with other travelers.
One in particular, was a cowboy who does rodeos for a living. We talked all the way from OKC to Phx. We exchanged stories about his life as a rodeo guy and mine as an electrician, lol, and he showed me pics of some of the trophies and belt buckles he won. Really interesting conversations take place in travel!
I've never had any problems with other passengers on a flight, but I know somebody from church, who was on a long flight from Tel Aviv, Israel to New York City three years ago, she told me that a Jewish Rabi on that same flight didn't want to sit next to her because she is a Christian.. which was also good, because she told me that he smelled like he hadn't taken a shower in years.. So I guess it was a good thing he sat somewhere else! That would probably be worse than having to deal with 2 people talking loudly throughout the duration of the flight!

By the way, I love Jews, and this was not meant to offend them.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM

I was on a flight one time from Phoenix to Portland, OR, some 12 years ago, on a Delta Airlines Boeing 757, and a lady who was sitting next to me, was very nervous and scared about flying. Being an aviation enthusiast, I told her that flying is much safer than driving, but I also gave her a lesson about aviation, and how airplanes fly! I explained to her the purpose of each control surface on the wings (flaps, leading edge slats, spoilers, and ailerons) and what the rear stabilizers and their control surfaces (Rudder and elevators) do. I think by the time the plane landed in Portland, she was probably ready to pilot an airplane!

The conversation did help her overcome the fear of flying, at least for that one flight!

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 09-18-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-18-2008, 08:54 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
That was a good gesture, ensuring the person next to you if they are nervous. I know nothing about planes except that they fly, but am content with evey flight Ive ever taken.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I was on a flight one time from Phoenix to Portland, OR, some 12 years ago, on a Delta Airlines Boeing 757, and a lady who was sitting next to me, was very nervous and scared about flying. Being an aviation enthusiast, I told her that flying is much safer than driving, but I also gave her a lesson about aviation, and how airplanes fly! I explained to her the purpose of each control surface on the wings (flaps, leading edge slats, spoilers, and ailerons) and what the rear stabilizers and their control surfaces (Rudder and elevators) do. I think by the time the plane landed in Portland, she was probably ready to pilot an airplane!

The conversation did help her overcome the fear of flying, at least for that one flight!
Mike, we need someone like you on every flight to soothe those with a fear of flying; GREAT post! (What's the voltage output of a Vortex Generator?)

Old 09-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Mike, we need someone like you on every flight to soothe those with a fear of flying; GREAT post! (What's the voltage output of a Vortex Generator?)
Hmmm... I thought they were replaced with Vortex Alternators...

LOL... I love those trick questions... Well they produce 0 volts, but REDUCE the stall speed of an aircraft, so there's nothing electrical about them....

Old 09-21-2008, 03:10 AM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
What's the voltage output of a Vortex Generator?
Quote:
[b][color=darkslategray]Hmmm... I thought they were replaced with Vortex Alternators...
I'm here with a bucket of propwash for you both.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
I've never had any problems with other passengers on a flight, but I know somebody from church, who was on a long flight from Tel Aviv, Israel to New York City three years ago, she told me that a Jewish Rabi on that same flight didn't want to sit next to her because she is a Christian.. which was also good, because she told me that he smelled like he hadn't taken a shower in years.. So I guess it was a good thing he sat somewhere else! That would probably be worse than having to deal with 2 people talking loudly throughout the duration of the flight!

By the way, I love Jews, and this was not meant to offend them.
Then why repeat hearsay when you don't know it's true? How would he know she was xian?
_______

A guy masturbating next to me on a flight from China to New York. Icalled the flight attendant numerous times, then finally threatened to see the captain and they moved me.

Kids kicking the back of the seat.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Things that bother me when flying:
1) People who don't wear socks and then remove their shoes. I don't want to smell your feet.
2) People who dress in sweats and uber casual clothes. You're traveling and this ain't Greyhound. At least try to look presentable.
3) When the person in front of me reclines and my tray is still down because either I'm still eating or the flight attendant has not yet picked up my tray. That drive me crazy.
4) When traveling in a vessel with recirculated air, please take a shower and refrain from masking your BO with perfumes.
5) Men - please don't sit in your seat and spread your legs so our legs touch. This isn't a city bus. I get enough of that on the bus. Difference is, I only paid $1.50 for the bus and don't spend 5 hours on it.
6) Flight Attendants - Don't get bitchy when I press the button to summons you. I realize you like to sit in your jump seat and do Sudoku, but you are WORKING and I need something. I can't sleep on planes so if I'm on an international flight or going to Hawaii, I will be calling on you about every 30 minutes for water, more ice, a drink, etc.

That's about it for me

Old 09-27-2008, 08:32 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I just thank God that cell phones aren't allowed on planes (and are not yet technologically feasible to use at 35,000 feet over the Atlantic). Seeing a plane full of idiots with bluethooths strapped on and talking non-stop at maximum volume would instigate instant air rage.
Yeah, I'd agree that that would make a flight even more hellish than it would need to be. I've heard of some airlines wanting to trial cell phone usage on flights, i.e., Qantas and Virgin, but I sure hope the trials fail or they rethink it. Like you said, the last thing you need is all that chatter around you, most of it unnecessary and overly loud.

And the ringtones! OMG, the cacophany of stupid ringtones would drive me mad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel