U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:56 PM

13,386 posts, read 41,499,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
To much walking in Schiphol, everything is 2 miles from everything else. The worst is Charles DeGaule. You WILL loose luggage there, you WILL miss flight if you change there. You WILL deal with snotty french ground crews. You WILL see the french chain smoking alongside "do not smoke" signs.

I not only did not have to walk that much at Schiphol, I arrived very late (unscheduled landing in Ireland) and still made my flight to Toulouse.
I have heard a million horror stores about CDG but <knock on wood> have never had a problem there.
I have heard good things about the Singapore airport but have never been.
The Honolulu Airport was pretty nice, love the open air thing they have going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 02:35 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,052,673 times
So Sky Harbor in PHX is pretty good??? We have to change planes there on our trip for spring break to Cabo.

Denver aka DIA..... man, that one is weird. While it might be a nice airport it just seems so disconnected. I can not imagine the horror of having to change planes there w/ different airlines.

DFW, okay. The main complaint most have about DFW is having to wait for luggage. It really does not take any longer to get your luggage it is just that at DFW you literally walk off your plane and not more than 50' to go to your baggage claim for most flights. No having to take a people mover, change buildings, floors, etc to get to baggage claim. Then right out the door you go as there are doors right at the baggage claims. The only terminal that is different now at DFW is the new one that just opened last year. It is more like others whereas you have to go downstairs to baggage claim and it is a hike. One thing I do like about DFW is that there are tons of restaurants, shops, food places INSIDE of the security area.

Worst airports, those that have all of the shops and food service OUTSIDE of the security area.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,039,954 times
I was at the Atlanta airport once and was impressed with how clean it was, and how nice people were, in comparison to Philadelphia and Newark.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:10 PM

101 posts, read 293,206 times
Atlanta Hartsfield.

Because I only fly Delta I find myself there half a dozen times a year. I could get to my connection blindfolded.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:11 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,538,196 times
I have never been to an airport I have been impressed with yet. :/

Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 PM

186 posts, read 855,291 times
In the U.S.: Ronald Reagan Airport in D.C. ... I met my wife there.

Rest of the World: Munich, Germany.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,514,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Have you seen sleepinginairports.net ?

I like the view upon take-off from San Diego. Decent airport food too.
That site is great. When I was backpacking through Europe, I slept in airports all the time. Not only did it save cash, but it was oftentimes more comfortable than the hostels I stayed at, largely because the airports were air-conditioned.

Honestly, no airport has really impressed me all that much. Vegas was cool in that kitschy Vegas way (i.e. flashy with slot machines), but other than that, no American airports really stand out. Foreign airports? Well, I hear Singapore is the best, but from what I saw, Athens (the new one) is quite nice although it's quite the hike from the center city but there is now a rail link (there wasn't when I was there; you had to take a bus) making things much easier. I remember thinking Schiphol was just very.....odd.

The worst? Dulles Airport, the dullest airport around and in an inconvenient location for tourists with minimal restaurants and until recently, a ridiculously outdated mode of inter-airport transit, the infamous "mobile lounges".

Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 15,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I was at the Atlanta airport once and was impressed with how clean it was, and how nice people were, in comparison to Philadelphia and Newark.
I like Atlanta, too. I had to change planes there once, and due to bad weather, the first flight was delayed. Unfortunately, my connecting flight, from Atlanta to L.A. was on time, so I had to run to catch it! Kudos to their signs and the cities listed alphabetically on the monitors. Everything was very well organized. I caught my flight in time, but then had to wait at LAX for the next flight in so that my luggage could catch up, since it couldn't run like I did!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 AM

699 posts, read 2,370,621 times
Atlanta is SO easy to get around for such a large airport. The concourses are parallell to each other in a row, I think there 6 or maybe 7. The trains run straight down the middle and stop at concourse...and come straight back up going to baggage and two main terminals. In between those you can walk directly into the Airport Marta station. It's all very logical and things are located where you would expect them to be. It's fairly clean I guess...I saw a schedule showing how often each U.S. airport cleans bathrooms and ATL was one of the more frequent. I would like to see it more architecturally interesting somehow. The terminals are nice and there is art in different places throughout, but it feels kind of cold and institutional...like a hospital or a school. Layout is more important to me than asthetics though.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:34 AM

165 posts, read 290,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
In the States, DIA is okay when they have enough security.

Have had an easy time of it with Orlando, and our little Panama City Airport.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with DFW.

In Europe: Amsterdam's Schiphol is clean, easy to use, and even has decent restaurants and good shopping.
Yeah, Schipol is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or