Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 PM

713 posts, read 1,957,418 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about planning a trip to Kenya. I know some people over there that I could stay with near Nairobi.

Has anyone ever made the journey to Kenya or have any information about it?

I would like to go to Kenya after I graduate in May 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 08:01 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
My daughter went to Nairobi in 2006 as a senior in College. She had a friend from there and went to visit her for two weeks during her winter break. I was glad she didn't tell me about the possible danger until she came back. Her friends family lived in a gated compound and inside the house each bedroom had a deadbolt lock on it so that if intruders came in they would be safe. When my daughter and her friends family went into the city none of the women took purses because there was too much danger of being mugged. My daughter has one picture of the city but it's deserted, I asked her why and she said she couldn't take her camera into the city during the busier part of the day because it would be stolen. For the one picture she had gotten up really early so she and her friend could take a picture.

Even so, she said that she had a good time and enjoyed herself. The most disheartening part to her trip was seeing so many desperately poor people and not be in a position to help.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 AM

713 posts, read 1,957,418 times
Interesting... Did she see much wildlife?

Old 10-05-2008, 06:30 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
She saw a lot of monkeys when they went to the coast and some other animals while on the drive there. Her visit though was not really like a regular tourist visit because she was staying with a family and didn't really do a lot of sight seeing. If you haven't already visited, I suggest you check out tripadvisor.com for more information.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
Never been there, but... One night I had a flat tire along the highway with no spare, in the pouring rain (sounds like a country song, eh?). I tried for 2 hours to get someone to help, they just drove by. Finally, a new Cadillac stopped, the well-dressed driver popped his trunk and started unbolting his spare. I told him he'll get filthy with all the mud. He said he didn't care, he'll follow me to a station to get his tire back. I ask where his accent (obviously not American) was from. He jumped to attention and proudly said, "Kenya". I've always wanted to visit the country since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel