Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:43 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times

Advertisements

Has anyone filed a complaint? anything I should know? I don't really expect a refund, the cost from the next day far outweighed the ticket price, but want some sort of serious mileage compensation.

Here are the details...

I flew Swiss/business class and had the displeasure of sharing the cabin with a husband, wife & their 3 kids in the seats directly in front of mine. About 12.5hours, LAX to Zurich.

The baby & 2nd kid cried and/or yelled for 10 hours straight, took 2or3 poops that the mother eventually changed right in the seat. The other kids talked loud, hung over the seat and generally caused me to have a very irritating flight.

I understand kids are kids, but didn't appreciate the lack of sleep and disruption that I generally avoid by flying bus. class. I politely asked to be moved, but the plane was full including first class and the economy section. The mother and father had headphones on most of the way and were largely inattentive of their kids. Head Stewart talked to them after 5 hours, but it made no difference. Top it off, some guy two rows over, would yell back to the kid in a similar fashion to encourage more yelling for a few half hour sessions.

This is the 2nd time having a family issue on Swiss.. first was 3-4 years ago where a parent/kid kicked or banged into the back of my seat every 5 minutes in economy.. that was the last time I ever flew economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:56 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I have had very positive response from airline in regards to complaints I have made on issues that were within the realm of their control, ie poor service from employees, missed flights due to lack of gate staff or connecting gates on the other side of town on tight connection schedules.

What you are describing is outside the control of the airline and fall more under the joys of traveling. You may get lucky and find someone who is willing to throw miles at you to not have to listen to your complaints, but it sounds like a stituation not of their making and out of their control.

A private jet is likely the only solution to this type of experience. I could say get a grip and keep a positive attitude, or some other catch phrase to help you maintain zen, but in the end you will have good trips and bad trips. How you deal with them is up to you, but I would not expect the airline to give a refund or even a "serious" amount of miles. Perhaps a few hundred to a couple thousand if you are a serious flyer and have good ff status, but I would be astounded it you got anything worth the whining you will have to go through to get them just because it wasn't their fault.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
On a Delta flight once I made the mistake of using my debit card to swipe that game machine for myself and my daughter so we could play games for a long flight. I believe it was to be $5.00 each. A one time fee; except well over the course of the next few weeks my card was debited over and over and over and over until I had to cancel my card. Then began my quest for re-imbursement and there was NO phone number for such. Try finding one, if you ever need to. So I began an email campaign and I emailed them each and every day for weeks until finally some lady responded with a phone call to me. They did pay back all the charges and give me a ticket to fly wherever I wanted......big deal. It was a real pain in the ass so that was the very least they could have done.
I don't recall seeing those little theft machines on the flights I've taken this last year so I dunno, maybe they got rid of the pay ones.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:24 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
The last time I flew I lost two days of my vacation and my luggage due to United's screwups. My letter to them was at least read, but their idea of compensation was to give me $100.00 off my next flight. Like that'll happen. I won't ever fly them again.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
I laughed when I re-read my original post.

I think I should lower my expectations to a $5.00 starbucks gift card or more realisitically... nothing.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,546 times
Wink Is it also falls into airline complains???

Newark Airport screener accused of stealing electronics from luggage - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com

Old 10-08-2008, 02:50 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Two letters -

1.) Once on TWA bumped from a flight. 10 hour delay. Sent a letter to TWA, copied to the FAA and my companies travel center. They gave me a free round trip ticket.

2.) Once on Delta for lost luggage for a vacation to Greece (luggage lost the entire trip). Not really a complaint, but a letter of claim with receipts, etc., all carefully itemized. They reimbursed me over $500 for clothes, film, luggage, just about everything wife and I purchased on the trip except food and hotel. Sent me a check to cash. Doesn't hurt that I'm a Gold Medallion member. They finally found my luggage in Paris (DeGualle airport is like the devils triangle for lost luggage), after my trip concluded.

When you write letters - document everything, send it to the right chain of command, be polite and professional but firm.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

2.) Once on Delta for lost luggage for a vacation to Greece (luggage lost the entire trip).
My kid's class had a similar experience.
They were on a school trip to Greece, and Delta messed up their connection and bags, they were without luggage for 4 days (not the entire trip).
As a school project, the kids wrote letters to Delta. As a result, they were each sent a $350 voucher.
The kid used it to take a trip to NYC with his brother the following year.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:02 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
My kid's class had a similar experience.
They were on a school trip to Greece, and Delta messed up their connection and bags, they were without luggage for 4 days (not the entire trip).
As a school project, the kids wrote letters to Delta. As a result, they were each sent a $350 voucher.
The kid used it to take a trip to NYC with his brother the following year.
That's the trend now by the airlines. I hate vouchers. Too limited. You have to use on certain class of travel, usually the full fare. So in some cases you could have bought a cheaper discounted seat for the value of the voucher.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's the trend now by the airlines. I hate vouchers. Too limited. You have to use on certain class of travel, usually the full fare. So in some cases you could have bought a cheaper discounted seat for the value of the voucher.
Yeah, they get you coming and going.
The kid was thrilled, though, Denver to New York wasn't cheap at that time and he was just happy to get another trip out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel