Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,108 times

Advertisements

When people drink too much before boarding. I go to Vegas at least 3 times a year and it never fails that someone will start the party before getting on the plane. On many occasions, the flight attendants continue to serve them alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Taking sneakers off to be searched.
While wearing T-shirt and shorts, being pulled out of line for further scrutiny with arms up bare skin wanding. [senior citizen] Dumb!
Having a whinning kid behind you kicking your seat.
Missing passenger [still at the bar] Baggage has to be unloaded and researched until they show up late.
Plane has to get away from the terminal to get a good 'on-time' rating but then sit in line at the runway for half hour.
Ridiculous rip off parking fees.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Ridiculous rip off parking fees.
Oh yeah, my dad refuses to park when picking me up, he does the circle round.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post

Last but not least, parents who can't keep their kids under control on the plane. The kids that talk LOUDLY non-stop, throw temper tantrums, climb all over the seats, etc... The whole plane is staring at the parents, waiting to see if they're going to do anything.
As a new parent, you might try to show some compassion and cut the parents some slack. Parenting or traveling with children isn't as easy as complaining.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 PM

926 posts, read 2,746,855 times
I dont know how I lived without my Clear pass because I use to hate security lines but being able to cut in fron of everyone and have someone carry my bags for me is so nice
I still hate having to take off my shoes and sometimes some airports metal detectors are so sensitive- my hair pins make it go off- ugh!
And for the airlines I hate the ones where my laptop rolling bag doesnt fi in the overhead so I have to check it planeside then wait for it after I de-plane. Its such a hassle.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Most of what we are complaining about should be directed at the airlines. leg room, arm rests, really they are the ones that decide how many seats to put on the plane (although we are the ones that decide that we will take whatever ticket is cheapest regardless of how cramped we'll be, then we complain about it later)

Or the security people. When I handed the security lady my ticket and my husbands tickets, along with our passports, she was annoyed and told me he had to hand her his own stuff. OK. Fine. that just took more time.

Oh my god, the pushing and shoving. This summer in Rome I actually had to yell at an old lady. This is very out of character for me, I would normally never yell at an old person, ever. There was surge of people, and an old lady, who was taking every inch of space she could get her short little self ahead, was literally BETWEEN me and my kid, whose hand I was holding. There was me, my arm, her, his arm and him behind her. I had to yell at her "DO YOU MIND IF I KEEP MY SON WITH ME". OMG if she didn't back the hell up I was going to have to shove her aside. I was terrified of losing the kid.

Have you ever got through a line to board then out on the tarmac to wait in a bus for 1/2 hour? Now THAT pissed me off. (Actually for us it was more like an hour, as we had small children so we "boarded" first. Well, that just meant that we got through the gate first, and were among the first on the "bus", we waited almost an hour on the bus. Argh!

Just so you know, traveling with children is no picnic folks. Just remember that when you get on a flight, you have no idea where some of the people are from and how long they have been traveling. My husband and I just this summer took a trip with our 7 and 3 y/o that had us traveling for 40 hours straight. So if you found us at the last leg of our journey, well, it wasn't going to be pretty and if you thought our kids were brats, well I just don't know what to tell you. I was pretty exhausted and bratty myself. My husband was beyond the point of no return ad I'd put up with about 3 bratty kids if I could have swapped them for HIM. OMG it was awful. And during one leg, all these fresh looking excited people got on the flight. We just wanted to drop dead. The kids were begging to get home by the end. And Robitussin does NOT always work. Neither does Benedryl.

It is not fun. I believe most parents are trying to keep their little ones quiet, but for God's sake, show some compassion. You might not have kids now, but you may eventually have a little bambino of your own that you at some point may have to take on an airplane. And even if your child is a perfect little angel chances are that you might not have when you were a kid. Most kids have had some kind of meltdown or tantrum at some point in their life that has annoyed someone else. It might have been you!!

Look at all the complaining people here are doing and they are adults. Imagine how a kid feels stuck in a chair for hours. Mine aren't that bad as I bring DVD player, books, Nintendo DS, V Smile Pocket, coloring books, snacks (no juice boxes, sorry kids over 3 oz.) pillows, dolls, puzzles, whatever i can fit in the bag (yes, go ahead and complain now that I had too many carry on bags)

An airplane is a mode of public transportation, just remember that. As long as you cannot afford or will not pay for first class or charter a plane, just remember that you will be seated with the masses, on top of one another, squished next to one another, waiting in line to use the toilet after one another. It isn't pretty but it is what we have to deal with when we cannot afford private luxuries.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
The main one is a very well known airline that takes out its job misery on its customers! So much so that the police have been known to be called and who do the police support? The airline!

Sitting next to rude people who completely overtake the armrest.

Long security lines.

Crying babies who go on and on.

Aisles so narrow you have to move on top of someone if you have gone halfway down the aisle and a cart comes toward you.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's weird, I've never experienced anyone pushing or rushing to get off the plane. Most people file out by row (those that stay behind usually need assistance). Although a lot of people do stand up immediately, I am one of them and I can only speak for myself but for me, I simply want to stand up and stretch my legs! Once I'm stood up, I have no problem waiting for everyone in front of me to file out.
That's cause you live in the land of "queues".

Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
seriously and I don't mean to ne rude-but it is your choice to not only have a certain number of children but also to go on a trip requiring plane travel. Of course those of us traveling w/out kids might become annoyed( I mean if you are how can you NOT expect others to not be??) When my kids were younger we drove to destinations, sorry but we did, Sometimes we even rented an RV but never did we fly with them.
Just my 2 cents worth on this parents telling other passengers to sympathize with them. I do try to not become annoyed but hey-sometimes I'm stressed, rushed,tired and moody too so someone is going to annoy someone in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Just so you know, traveling with children is no picnic folks. Just remember that when you get on a flight, you have no idea where some of the people are from and how long they have been traveling. My husband and I just this summer took a trip with our 7 and 3 y/o that had us traveling for 40 hours straight. So if you found us at the last leg of our journey, well, it wasn't going to be pretty and if you thought our kids were brats, well I just don't know what to tell you. I was pretty exhausted and bratty myself. My husband was beyond the point of no return ad I'd put up with about 3 bratty kids if I could have swapped them for HIM. OMG it was awful. And during one leg, all these fresh looking excited people got on the flight. We just wanted to drop dead. The kids were begging to get home by the end. And Robitussin does NOT always work. Neither does Benedryl.

It is not fun. I believe most parents are trying to keep their little ones quiet, but for God's sake, show some compassion. You might not have kids now, but you may eventually have a little bambino of your own that you at some point may have to take on an airplane. And even if your child is a perfect little angel chances are that you might not have when you were a kid. Most kids have had some kind of meltdown or tantrum at some point in their life that has annoyed someone else. It might have been you!!

Look at all the complaining people here are doing and they are adults. Imagine how a kid feels stuck in a chair for hours. Mine aren't that bad as I bring DVD player, books, Nintendo DS, V Smile Pocket, coloring books, snacks (no juice boxes, sorry kids over 3 oz.) pillows, dolls, puzzles, whatever i can fit in the bag (yes, go ahead and complain now that I had too many carry on bags)

An airplane is a mode of public transportation, just remember that. As long as you cannot afford or will not pay for first class or charter a plane, just remember that you will be seated with the masses, on top of one another, squished next to one another, waiting in line to use the toilet after one another. It isn't pretty but it is what we have to deal with when we cannot afford private luxuries.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:39 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
huh? Clear pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
I dont know how I lived without my Clear pass because I use to hate security lines but being able to cut in fron of everyone and have someone carry my bags for me is so nice
I still hate having to take off my shoes and sometimes some airports metal detectors are so sensitive- my hair pins make it go off- ugh!
And for the airlines I hate the ones where my laptop rolling bag doesnt fi in the overhead so I have to check it planeside then wait for it after I de-plane. Its such a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel