Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times

Advertisements

Boarding and de-boarding the aircraft is like herding cattle ............... someone "HAS" to have a better idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Default Pet Peeves

Airport/airplane pet peeves:

- While waiting to board, the flight agent announces the zone which can start boarding and before half of those people board, the agent announces the next zone, and a minute later the next. This creates a cattle call of people coming from all directions who step in front of those already in line to board. What is the use of having zone numbers to board if the agent is going to call them so close that it becomes a free-for-all first-come-first served line?

- When the plane lands, people who do NOT have anything in the carry-on compartments above should be able to walk off first in row order. This leaves the people who have to get to the overhead compartment among themselves. This would make the deplaning go a lot smoother and faster. Currently, we have people waiting to get off from the back of the plan but are blocked by those passengers in the aisle trying to wrestle their carry-on out of the overhead bin, another person blocks it while looking for where their carry-on was placed which may be three rows behind where they sat.

- People have gained so much weight in our day and age that the current coach space is insufficient to humanely seat people. First-class room should actually be coach as far as space goes. Passengers being packed like sardines flight paradigm really should be passe with the technology and usage of space that even young interior engineers/designers could create. We're living in 2016 not 1916 yet plane seating space seems to be stuck a hundred years behind the time.

- Airlines not informing parents that the pressure while the plane descends for about 15-20 minutes will hurt the ears of babies and toddlers. They should give recommendations or treats (something they can sip or chew to swallow and relieve the pressure in their ears) to help combat this problem. It pains me to hear babies wailing in agony as the plane descends. Flight attendants know the reason and yet no advice or recommendation is given to parents.

- Insufficient snacks given on flights. If the airlines feel they will lose money by doing so then why not allow new products on the market to be donated by vendors/companies. It creates a win-win situation as passengers get decent size snacks and the airlines don't have to purchase them since the company gets a captive audience to test out and introduce their new food snack products to.

- The baggage area has already been stated numerous times so I won't mention it since it's been well covered.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, isn't $25.6 BILLION Profit {{{{{{{{{{{{enough?}}}}}}}}}}}}

Airline Profits Soar To Jaw-Dropping Record In 2015

Old 05-04-2016, 07:54 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
Going through security then sitting on a plane for 8 hours only to have to go through TSA again before being allowed into the flight side of the airport for following flight.
Now this might seem like a stupid moan, yes I know they have to keep it secure but I had been secure since 7am BST which was 9 hours ago, so had my carry on, my suitcase (which had a leaflet in from both customs in the US and UK) so why do I need to be checked again. Just to add insult to injury Virgin Atlantic were great about handing out bottles of water onboard so that bottle is also 'secure' right? not according to the TSA, its over 3oz so has to be thrown away.

Next rant is about those folks who fly domestic in the US and won't pay checked baggage fees so carry everything with. Two HUGE backpacks do not count as one carry on and one personal item. Worst thing the airlines every did was to start charging for checked bags.

Last but not least, ticket prices. Regular gas has halved in price so one would think also aviation fuel had maybe done the same??? So why have international tickets nearly trebled in price over the last 6 years ?

Old 05-05-2016, 01:46 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
I agree about the people that abuse the overhead bin and or refuse to check bags. Yes I know you want to get home/get on vacation and don't want to waste time at the baggage claim, and yes I know checking bags can be slightly expensive, but sorry if you have 5 suitcases at 60 pounds each check the damn things.

Also people that use overhead bins ABOVE rows they aren't sitting in. This is the absolute WORST, and is the single biggest thing that pisses me off. Like how you can only sit in the seat you are assigned, unless the flight is half empty, you're overhead bins should ONLY be assigned to the people sitting in that row. So, if the family that carries on 8 bags and can't fit all 8 above their seat?? Too bad, gate check the ones that don't fit! Why should I have to put my book bag 20 rows from where I'm sitting because the family couldn't check some of their 10 bags??

Old 05-05-2016, 01:53 PM

I haven't gone through all 40 pages so this may have been covered already, but the security lines really annoy me. When I'm getting close to the front I make sure I already have everything out that needs to go in the bin (loose coins, phone, hat & shoes, and the laptop bag open) so all I have to do is grab a bin, throws the things in, go through, and not waste time for the people behind me while I take my shoes off, phone out of pocket, etc. Also, when I get through I make sure to stay off to the side while I get everything back to also make sure I don't delay people behind me.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Élan vital View Post
Overhead luggage bins !! I don't use them because I check my luggage and carry my walkman,snacks,medicines,water and my book in a backpack that I can store under my seat. Hate the overhead luggage bins!!
Big deal to me is when the plane is running late(or maybe even if it isn't) I wish the flight attendants would ask if anyone is about to miss a connecting flight and let them depart first. I would gladly allow that because otherwise unless I am one of those bout to miss my connecting flight, I keep my butt planted in my seat until the aisles have cleared. I've only been on one,count em ONE flight in which they asked everyone to remain seated while those needig to catch their next flight were allowed off first.
I won't even go there about crying kids because until it becomes legal to drug the little buggers then there is nothing I or anyone,including the parent can do to stop the crying.
Baggage claim--I stand back until I see my bag, which is clearly visible to me due to a big polka dotted tag I put on it; but when I see mine I tell the person standing in my way---excuse me, I need to get my bag. The last time I tried that though the, er lady(??) standing there blocking the way still wouldn't move so I grabbed my luggage and when I picked it up it swung back and hit her HARD(oops, yea it was an accident) but maybe she won't be standing there like an idiot the next time someone standing back asks her to please move.

LOL my train terminal out of New York is Grand Central. One day I'm in New York and hurrying back to Grand Central because my train leaves in 10 minutes or so. I got the light for 5th & 42nd, so I cross the side of the street where the entrance is, and I "accidently" bumped into somebody. It turns out the person I pumped into was stopped in the middle of one of New York's busiest streets taking a picture. Person precedes to give me a dirty look. Maybe next time don't stop in the middle of the street to take a picture and you wouldn't get bumped into??

Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, isn't $25.6 BILLION Profit {{{{{{{{{{{{enough?}}}}}}}}}}}}

Airline Profits Soar To Jaw-Dropping Record In 2015
Not enough to make up for the cumulative losses since 2001.

Divide by the number of planes, then divide again by the cost of a plane, and you'll see how little that is.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:12 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ahh overheads and carry on luggage. This is my pet peeve. People - check in your luggage. Don't try to carry all your worldly goods on a plane. You take all the space for those just simply trying to bring a laptop or jacket, you keep people standing in line behind you trying get to their seat, and you eventually delay flights.

Now this is my note to "flight attendant" because I've had this happen to me three times so far. I check in my luggage like a good traveler, of course I carry my laptop. Little bag. So I board the plane (frequent flyer status so I usually get on first) then all the idiots with their multi carry on's board and soon the bins fill up. Then flight attendant comes by, pulls my bag out, and asks ME to put it under my seat to make room for Mr Has-to-carry-on-everything with his huge suitcase. First of all - DON"T TOUCH MY DAMN LAPTOP. It's a $3,000 tool of mine and I don't want to use it as a foot stool. Second of all - I checked in my bag like a good citizen. Don't punish me and reward the other dude because he's too selfish to check in his luggage. Make him check in his bags right there on the plane.

The third time I had enough and refused to do it, saying very load the reason I just listed. Suprisingly, it worked. Flight attendant agreed and apologized.
Wait a second, carry-on restrictions are very strict and are enforced both at TSA and on boarding. If a passenger's carry-ons meet the criteria for being carried on, there is no basis for complaining about them carrying their carry-ons on. (I am trying to be funny but maybe it's not working.) It is one of the rights that you purchase when you purchase a ticket.

"Good citizens" obey rules that exist. There is no rule saying that good citizens check bags that are allowed as carry-ons.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:19 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Wait a second, carry-on restrictions are very strict and are enforced both at TSA and on boarding. If a passenger's carry-ons meet the criteria for being carried on, there is no basis for complaining about them carrying their carry-ons on. (I am trying to be funny but maybe it's not working.) It is one of the rights that you purchase when you purchase a ticket.

"Good citizens" obey rules that exist. There is no rule saying that good citizens check bags that are allowed as carry-ons.

Carry on allowed sizing seems to be based on a typical plane size & configuration at a typical load factor. If you're flying on a full bird, a smaller regional jet (I think you can fit roughly three magazines in the bin on the one seat side of an Embraer 135) or both, the base assumptions break down and you get the bin chaos. On a recent trip I was 2/3 on 'due to a full flight, we're allowing you to check your carry on to your final destination with no charge' followed by 'we're out of bin space so if your boarding pass says Zone 2 or Zone 3, your large carry on WILL be checked through to your final destination at no additional charge'

If it's going to be one of those, then, hey, I'll sign up early- makes the gate agent happy and it's nice to be able to roam the length of the ATL with only my backpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel