Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,666 times

Advertisements

Hey my name is Feli and im new here but i was trying to find out if its safe to drive from miami to san diego in this time of the year...and i ran across this website...
i drove from san diego to miami 6 months ago but now i gotta drive back on the 22nd of february(exactly a week from today) and i was wondering if anyone here has done it in this time of the year and wuts ur opinion???
well thank you,

Feli
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfeliv View Post
Hey my name is Feli and im new here but i was trying to find out if its safe to drive from miami to san diego in this time of the year...and i ran across this website...
i drove from san diego to miami 6 months ago but now i gotta drive back on the 22nd of february(exactly a week from today) and i was wondering if anyone here has done it in this time of the year and wuts ur opinion???
well thank you,

Feli
Probably - not really tornado season - though you'd never know it from recent weather and usually not snowy. You could always look on the weather channel for the extended outlook. Be safe!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
I did this drive round-trip towing a boat several times in the 1980's-90's Feb/Mar, and it was OK the whole way.

You may encounter strong desert rainstorms enroute across TX, NM, AZ and SEastern CA, which can limit visibility and/or flood the highway for awhile. Best to find the next town or roadside stop and let the weather move on through, which it will in a little while, as the storms are generally fast moving fronts. You will be too far South for snow/ice enroute.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:17 PM

554 posts, read 2,500,905 times
Wow! That's litterally across the country!

Highways are usually safe.. Just know the right exits to get off when you need to get gas before you wind up somewhere you don't want to be.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Late February is a great time of year to drive across I-10 from FL to CA. It's probably your last chance before air conditioning season begins. Depending on how many hours a day you are willing to drive, it will probably take about 5 days. Hope you've got cruise control and plenty of tunes to bring along.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:26 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
Definitely bring a cell phone, music, maps, snacks, and be sure to always have at the very least 1/4 tank of gas as there are large swaths at times in between gas stations (or any sign of life really), especially if you head down towards the south/central Texas route. Cruise control will become your best friend. I had never used it prior to driving cross country, but my foot started to ache and it was nice to let the car do the work for me. It's a pretty long drive. I was looking forward to doing it by myself just to be able to talk to myself, sing loudly, and I figured it would give me the chance to be alone with my thoughts, and it did. I thought about every single thing there was to think about.....twice.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:09 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Definitely bring a cell phone, music, maps, snacks, and be sure to always have at the very least 1/4 tank of gas as there are large swaths at times in between gas stations (or any sign of life really), especially if you head down towards the south/central Texas route. Cruise control will become your best friend. I had never used it prior to driving cross country, but my foot started to ache and it was nice to let the car do the work for me. It's a pretty long drive. I was looking forward to doing it by myself just to be able to talk to myself, sing loudly, and I figured it would give me the chance to be alone with my thoughts, and it did. I thought about every single thing there was to think about.....twice.
Dullnboring, I can so relate to this I drove from SA, TX to Sacramento CA. in 1989 and I remember the long stright roads in AZ and NM. And I bet you looked out the window and said "Wow, what a great country I live in" I did It was freedom.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:22 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
My brother-in-law just drove from NM to Miami this past weekend with no problems. You should be ok, if you are worried check the weather report before you leave, so you have an idea of what to expect each day. Have fun!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:44 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Dullnboring, I can so relate to this I drove from SA, TX to Sacramento CA. in 1989 and I remember the long stright roads in AZ and NM. And I bet you looked out the window and said "Wow, what a great country I live in" I did It was freedom.
Yeah, for me the stretch from around one hour west of San Antonio til El Paso was the most desolate piece of roadway I had ever seen. At one point, I went over 45 minutes without seeing any sort of life; no cars, no gas stations, no homes, no freaky hitchhikers or anything. I took this opportunity to see just how fast I could go in my car. It was fascinating but also sort of eerie. Coming from the relatively mashed together East Coast, it was hard to wrap my head around the fact when looking at my map that the next town wouldn't be for some 70 miles, and even then, we're talking a blip on the map home to maybe 200 people. That part of the country is just so beautiful and it's interesting sort of tracking the progression in terms of climate, vegetation and landscape as you drive from sort of lush southern bayou country, slowly into the arid southwest.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 10,210 times
does anyone know what is the safest and easiest road to take from miami to CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel