U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,173,468 times

Advertisements

I don't make road trips of any real distance without my GPS system since I installed it on my laptop computer. That's right, for about $105 from many places on the web you can get the Garmin GPS-18 delux system. The entire country on your hard drive in one loading, a large screen you can actually see while driving (not recomended by manufacturer of course) and no mutilevel nested menus with virtual buttons to deal with. Since you often now take a CPU for email etc on the road anyway it makes sense to me. Yes the size is not so convienent wihen two in the car but for those times when I'm by myself...just plop it on the passenger seat fire it up and all I have to do is glance to my right to see where I am. Big screen and more features for $100+. Can't beat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 12:56 PM

106 posts, read 689,331 times
^ That is an option, and it's especially nice if you have someone riding shotgun who can type in addresses while you ride. Just make sure you own a AC inverter to power the laptop whilst riding.

If you really wanna get technical, pick up a HSDPA / EV-DO PC Card or ExpressCard and get online while driving -- your passenger can google search homes, find addresses, key them in, and never leave his seat or force you to slow down

Old 02-16-2007, 01:24 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,173,468 times
NCSU...thought about that and prob will do soon... I'm thinking so I also can do when on boat (near shore of course). If u have any personal experience or knowledge etc PM me and/or start a thread in Misc...I think lots would like to come up to speed on this fairly new and developing tec

thanks

Old 02-16-2007, 01:37 PM

9,599 posts, read 27,519,951 times
Hey Lizard Lips,

I am with you on this one. Although those GPS Nav systems are handy, I have never had any problem using good old Google Maps to find my way around the Triangle Area, and I have explored everywhere from Raleigh, Durham, Wake Forest, Knightdale, Cary, and Clayton.

But if you have the disposable income and don't want to hear the "I told you so'" from your husband the first time you get lost....better give in and get the nav system anyway . Just make sure you get soemthing nice for yourself when you move here and when your husband balks...politely remind him that you allowed him to by the pricey nav system.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 PM

607 posts, read 2,272,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hey Lizard Lips,

I am with you on this one. Although those GPS Nav systems are handy, I have never had any problem using good old Google Maps to find my way around the Triangle Area, and I have explored everywhere from Raleigh, Durham, Wake Forest, Knightdale, Cary, and Clayton.

But if you have the disposable income and don't want to hear the "I told you so'" from your husband the first time you get lost....better give in and get the nav system anyway . Just make sure you get soemthing nice for yourself when you move here and when your husband balks...politely remind him that you allowed him to by the pricey nav system.
North Raleigh Guy; You are a genius. I will let him get the nav system and I will get a koi pond!!!!!!!!!! Whadda think???

Old 02-16-2007, 02:47 PM

106 posts, read 689,331 times
This post is to go a bit more in-depth regarding online / mapping use while in car:

My "part-time" employment is a journalist for a tech publication, so I've delved into the GPS / mobile internet realm quite a bit.

Last weekend, my wife & I set out to search for apartments & homes in the Triangle and to see as many as possible in 1-2 days. Our setup consisted of:

- Power inverter to run the laptop
- Dell Inspiron 9300
- Alltel UTStarcom PPC-6700 for EV-DO (read: FAST) internet connection anywhere in the Triangle (any smartphone with a data plan can work, but Alltel's are the least restricted [no Verizon / Cingular!] and allow you to "tunnel" your phone's data plan onto your laptop for free -- I believe Cingular actually CHARGES you to do this)
- USB cable to connect phone with laptop
- My Jeep's NAV system

Now, an alternate way is to pick up a USB GPS module along with a software package containing US maps. Combined, these 2 shouldn't run you over $150. Since my GPS was built into the car, I opted to use it versus my PC to actually map my way.

Another alternate step is to pick up an EV-DO / HSDPA card from your wireless carrier -- Sprint/Nextel, Verizon, and Cingular (maybe Alltel, too) all offer these data cards for your laptop for their own various rates. Make sure you get a PCMCIA (also known as PC Card) card if you're laptop supports it or an ExpressCard only if you've got a newer laptop and/or a MacBook Pro. These cards will allow you to connect without the use of "tunneling" the data from your phone to the laptop.

In my situation, I turned on my smartphone and laptop, and carefully followed these instructions: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1026028

There's DAYS of info in there, and each phone / connection is different.

In my scenario, my phone got online, and channeled the internet to my PC's browser via the USB cable. Now my wife was searching apartmentratings.com online in the car, and when she'd find a good one, she'd key it in the Jeep's NAV and we'd be on our way. Saved hours over the course of 2 days. If you're using strictly the PC, even better. Just copy/paste addresses from Google Maps or the website you're on into your GPS software and click Go.

Having the internet AND GPS while driving is amazing, the possibilities are endless. Endless eateries, movie times, attractions, etc. If you have Google in your car, the world is at your fingertips.

This was very broad, as I'm just trying to give an overview of how the internet / GPS tandem in-car works -- please post any further, more specific Qs in the thread so everyone can enjoy the knowledge

Oh yeah, this really only works efficiently (and safely!) if you have a shotgun rider.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:14 PM

132 posts, read 510,006 times
If you are going to look at new subdivisions the nav system will not help much and you will still need a good map to generally pinpoint where you want to go and to give the nav system an idea with older roads. Found that out during Parade of Homes last year. DH was all excited to use the nav-never need a map again he says. Couldn't find a single house with it. Had to use the POH map. Save the 400 for some good meals, IMO.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 52,438 times
Default Garmin GPS 18!

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip regarding the GARMIN 18 Nav. system!!

We visited Raleigh this past weekend, decided to purchase the Garmin at Best Buy ($118) installed it on our laptop and it worked GREAT!! We just plugged in the address, and it helped to find houses, restaurants, shopping centers,etc! It saved time, frustration and arguments

Highly recommend it!!

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2007, 04:58 PM

425 posts, read 1,151,585 times
We just ordered, online at Buydig.com the Garmin Street Pilot C320 in car navigation GPS receiver for $254.00 with FREE shipping. Our realtor has one and it works great. Looking forward to getting it and trying it out!

My Road Atlas is hard to use when it's just me in the car.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:27 PM

237 posts, read 959,053 times
go with the NAV! Here in NC there are a lot of "meridian islands". while NAV doesn't always know there is an "island" it can "re route" you when you dont turn where it told you to. I am almost certain traditional maps dont route you around islands either but also can't re route you.

I do agree that NAV needs to be updated regularly but you can also "save current position" in your address book,there for not needed to keep referring to a map over and over. I have had my NAV for 2 years and moved here from New England and still have my original software.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or