Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:24 AM

607 posts, read 2,425,184 times

Advertisements

Okay, here goes. My husband thinks that he should buy a $400 nav system for our move to NC, so we can get around with ease.
I say, why not just the Thomas guide, and he thinks that the nav system would be so much easier.

Any thoughts???

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 AM

2,187 posts, read 7,979,412 times
Well Liz I agree with your hubby on this one. A navigation system would be much easier. I have every map out there and still get lost. The rural roads, hwys and streets are just not as clear cut and easy to find as they are in CA. In fact many times streets are not even marked. When I flew out here for the week to find our home I rented a car with a navigation system and loved it. I would like my next car to have one! Even with mapquest I am sometimes having to call hubby at work because I am lost. It is getting better but I still "sweat it" when going somewhere new.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:35 AM

237 posts, read 1,027,585 times
LOVE my GPS. I am with your hubby on this one! Didnt want it but it came with the new van. I will never buy a car without one in the future

Old 02-16-2007, 11:58 AM

607 posts, read 2,425,184 times
Wow you guys are killing me.

I thought for sure you would say "Thomas Guide", but noooooooooo, you have to choose my husbands side.
He is going to smile that "I told you" smile and really **** me off.
Oh, well, at least I won't get lost, but that sure is quite a few pedicures I could be spending that $400 on.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,639,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Wow you guys are killing me.

I thought for sure you would say "Thomas Guide", but noooooooooo, you have to choose my husbands side.
He is going to smile that "I told you" smile and really **** me off.
Oh, well, at least I won't get lost, but that sure is quite a few pedicures I could be spending that $400 on.
Getting lost is a great way to learn the area! We've talked about a nav system but maps have worked well enough.

Go get a pedicure!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 12:17 PM

106 posts, read 732,319 times
Navigation systems just might be the #1 investment you could make in your life right now.

Seriously, once you get one you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. We went house/apartment searching last weekend, and I'm even from the Raleigh area, and we saw more places than we could have EVER found on our own by just typing in addresses and following the route...plus, it saves stress!

We got the NAV option in our Grand Cherokee and I will never own another vehicle w/o a NAV, even if it's an aftermarket unit. Seriously, even at $1,000 it'd be worthwhile...the gas/time/stress they end up saving is incredible.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:26 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,882,945 times
A word of caution - our usually very reliable (and all around pleasant to deal with) GPS became utterly lost in Cary. She wanted us to turn down roads that were closed. She thought we were off-roading it when we drove down new streets. She sent us in a circle multiple times.

A good old fashion map probably doesn't have all the closed or new streets either - but - I do find it easier to consult a paper map and get a better overall view for an area when lost. Scrolling around a map on a GPS to find alternate streets can become very cumbersome.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 PM

225 posts, read 952,401 times
The Nav is the best money we spent in a long time!

The problem with maps (with me anyways) is that I am so unfimilar with the Raleigh area that it is so hard to look at a map & watch where you are going & watch for road signs & watch traffic , etc...

AND believe it or not, I still manage to get lost on occasion even with my Nav System.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,843,828 times
The ADC Maps Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill book costs about $30 and has extremely detailed maps of the entire area including every church, school, and shopping center, something which most navigation systems do not have. It is also more up-to-date than the 3-year old data on the GPS systems. You can get the ADC map at any Staples store in the area. Highly recommended - here in the D.C. area everyone uses the ADC maps as they are #1.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 PM

106 posts, read 732,319 times
^ My maps are from 2005 -- needless to say, Triangle-area roads have changed A LOT since then. GPS maps need to be updated almost yearly around the Triangle in order to have everything, but 99% of the time, it'll getcha there one way or another
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel