Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:59 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times

Advertisements

As you see from all the posts, it's a personal choice. Some people love stability and some love to be free birds. I am a free bird, moved to the US 13 years ago, lived in 2 different states and now relocating to a third state without visiting the city I am moving to. All depends on what you are looking for, you can either go and live there as the locals and enjoy what you find, or just stay here and wonder what it would be like to be there.. good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:04 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
I was going to say no, but then realized I kind of did this for a bit.

My dh did part of his schooling in the Caribbean. He went down and I met up with him 2 months later. We stayed for almost 2 years. I had never been there, and this was before Youtube, so I had never seen video or anything. did not know what I was in for. kind of expected nothing (you know you are in trouble when all DH advises you to bring is "another bath rug, tablecloth and" I can't remember the other thing. I think he didn't want me to hear the whole list of things we needed because he was afraid I wouldn't come.

This was not a permanent move, though, and if it was permanent, I would never have agreed to it w/out visiting first. No way.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:19 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
I'd probably like to visit first, but I know that it really wouldn't make much difference in the long run. Visiting a country is vastly different from living there. While visiting, it's with a certain level of euphoria. It's all new and different and exciting. Especially exciting. Everything seems so nice and so much better than your home country - as a tourist (unless your home country is a war-ravaged or oppressed hellhole).

Then when you're there for a while - several months, or a few years - and experience all the problems and things that bug you, you realise the grass is not always greener on the other side afterall, that it's much of the same. Same useless politicians making promises, wasting money and doing little. Same problems with jobs, housing, traffic, taxes, crime, etc. Some things might be better than where you left, some things worse. And even that changes with time. It all evens out, to pretty much the same.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:40 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
We stayed for almost 2 years.
This was not a permanent move, though, and if it was permanent, I would never have agreed to it w/out visiting first. No way.
You stayed for almost 2 years though.

When you think of it, no move you ever make is "permanent"... Until the last one.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:15 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
You stayed for almost 2 years though.

When you think of it, no move you ever make is "permanent"... Until the last one.
You are right, that is true.

And let me tell you, that almost two years sure felt like a long time to me. It wasn't one of those touristy, vacation-y, beautiful beach islands either!!!
living without *A LOT* of the things you are used to is a challenge.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:50 PM

202 posts, read 358,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I'd probably like to visit first, but I know that it really wouldn't make much difference in the long run. Visiting a country is vastly different from living there. While visiting, it's with a certain level of euphoria. It's all new and different and exciting. Especially exciting. Everything seems so nice and so much better than your home country - as a tourist (unless your home country is a war-ravaged or oppressed hellhole).

Then when you're there for a while - several months, or a few years - and experience all the problems and things that bug you, you realise the grass is not always greener on the other side afterall, that it's much of the same. Same useless politicians making promises, wasting money and doing little. Same problems with jobs, housing, traffic, taxes, crime, etc. Some things might be better than where you left, some things worse. And even that changes with time. It all evens out, to pretty much the same.
I agree that visiting is completely different. You don't have enough time to fall into culture shock

I read the title of the thread & thought "wow! That's crazy! Moving somewhere without ever having visited first!" Then I realized...I'm in Wales right now, for the semester, and I definitely never visited before I came! So I do think it depends on the person. I don't think I could ever do a permanent move, say more than a couple years, without at least seeing the place first, though. Guidebooks can never prepare you for actually being in another country. Sure, I read lots on London, Rome, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, but it is completely different once you arrive.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
It depends on the country. Ive only been to Canada once but would live there, probably in or near Alberta (Calgary). I would also like to check out Russia, or Hungary. Sounds wierd but why not?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:21 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Would you move to a country you never visited?
No. - Despite the problems we have in the Unites States, we are still THE best country in the world to live in, and I'm sure if you asked many of the immigrants that came here from other countries... the ones that are here legally that is! , they'd tell you the same thing.

I would only visit other countries, I've been to Canada, England, France, Germany, Austria, and Israel when I was a kid.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I would move to a different country without visiting if it was for a limited time. My daughter lived in China for a year, could have stayed longer but her contract was for a year and that was all she wanted. We've lived in five different states and moved to all after just one or two visits. We've lived here for 11 years and that's the longest I've lived anywhere my entire life.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
No. - Despite the problems we have in the Unites States, we are still THE best country in the world to live in, and I'm sure if you asked many of the immigrants that came here from other countries... the ones that are here legally that is! , they'd tell you the same thing.

That's your opinion. Best is an opinion. What you think is best maybe worst to others.

From the United Nation and Nato they consider these the top five best countries to live in?:

1. Norway
2. Iceland
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. Ireland

They put the United States at around 12-14.

Since Iceland has gone bankrupt and Australia is requiring everyone to have filters on there internet and becoming another China. Those two will probably go down the list.

Living in the United States is not for everyone. The same goes for any other country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel