Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:55 AM

202 posts, read 359,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netfan View Post
Living in the United States is not for everyone. The same goes for any other country.
I'm an American, and I heartily agree! I don't know what the whole American hubris thing is about. Seriously, there are other countries out there besides the US - try it! Go to one! Even back in the States, people that have never left the US assume it's the best place to live. Honestly, of the places I have been so far, it is probably the best place for ME (perhaps if I were fluent in something other than English, I would feel differently!). But the generalizations about America being #1 are getting really old. Look at the economy & that should tell you something.

By the way, where can I find that list, netfan? I'd be curious to see what other countries are on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,195 times
Yes, but it depends what country. And you could do research about it.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times
NO I wouldn't move to another country without checking it out first. Yes I would go for a temp trial which I count as a visit first. 2-6months to a year first. I wouldn't go sell everything here and buy a house without living there for at least a year. I won't even do that for Hawaii or Alaska! Yes to the research first but that doesn't give you the culture feeling until you go there to live not to tourist.

Now when I was in twenty's and had an opportunity while having no responibilities or house to take care of Hell yes, why not it only takes a ticket to get back. If you are asking to give up US citizenship no can't see that happening.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
I would want to visit at least once. You need to know their lifestyle, their cost of living. Ive visited many states many times and can totally relate to the midwest, but wouldnt fit into a big place like Chicago or NYC, at least not for living. I definately wouldnt mind going to Canada and checking out some parts there, just for the heck of it. In my younger days Ive always wanted to live there but realistically, would need to check it out first.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:24 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
I moved to Palau from the U.S. without having been here before. If I would have hated it, I would have just left. Fortunately, it's been a lot of fun.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 AM

10 posts, read 17,160 times
I guess you would call me traditional or what the youngers would say old fashioned in the since I'd want to take courses or at least get a real working knowledge of the native languages.

France
Canada
Egypt
Russia
England

Mexico

Last edited by usernameshelby; 12-27-2011 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: list

Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
My first trip to Italy was to purchase a house. As soon as the escrow was closed and the visa for residency was approved, I moved there and stayed for 7.5 years. Lived alone the first 3.5 years until husband retired and joined me.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
I've moved to 3 countries without visiting first.
It was exciting!
I can't think of a country that would be so awful that I couldn't have a good time there for a few years.
Imagine what we have to learn about the culture and ourselves.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,648 times
We agreed to move from the UK to Hong Kong without me visiting first. Hubby had been there os business trips. we went for a week to sign paperwork and house hunt before the move. We lived there for 3 years and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Ive visited Tokyo many times as a tourist and I'd move there tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
No. - Despite the problems we have in the Unites States, we are still THE best country in the world to live in, and I'm sure if you asked many of the immigrants that came here from other countries... the ones that are here legally that is! , they'd tell you the same thing.
Thats your opinion and I am sure many agree with you however I have to disagree. We are in the US legally and have been here for a year. We leave to live in Switzerland ( I've never lived there before - just visited ) in June and TBH I can't wait to put up the 2012 calendar and start counting down the days. We are visiting the bits of the US we haven't seen so far because after we leave I can't imagine we will ever want to return. We live in a fairly affluent suburb of NY and quality of life is fairly high, food is cheap and we have lots of space but its dull and unless I travel into NYC there is not a lot to do.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Sure, and I have done it. I committed myself to a move to Jordan, sight unseen (I had previously been in Lebanon and Syria, which are very different), and I loved it there. Other countries I've lived in, I decided to stay after I got there. I also made a commitment to move to the Cook Islands (before there was any tourist infrastructure there), but the deal fell through on the other end.

I've visited a lot of countries that I wouldn't want to live in, but if I wound up there, I have no doubt I could have made the best of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel