U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:43 PM

9,311 posts, read 11,247,712 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I did do a search for this questions and came up with nothing.

Just wondering if you have a favorite and why it is your favorite?

I have been traveling a little bit more than usual lately and will be in the coming years. I am traveling mostly btn Las Vegas and Detroit.

I seem to have no problems with US Airways, easy in and out both ways.

Spirit seems to be the worst. They nickel and dime you for every little thing and when you need to make changes, they do not offer a refund at all.

Not sure about Northwest yet, but their prices are always higher to fly anyway.

Any tips? What about frequent flier programs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 PM

158 posts, read 360,433 times
I prefer United, but I'm completely biased as both of my parents work for them & that's all I've ever known. I've always recieved excellent service.

The one time I flew Airtran for spring break with my friends I did not enjoy it at all, but it could have been due to the seating (we had no windows) and surroundings many people were getting sick (ew!)

Old 12-04-2008, 02:16 PM

4,923 posts, read 10,613,792 times
Actually, there is a recent post that is relevant:

//www.city-data.com/forum/trave...-airlines.html

I prefer Southwest because they are always on time, they don't charge for luggage and it's really easy to change flights if need be.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:27 PM

238 posts, read 1,065,202 times
My favorite is Continental and I use them whenever I can. Their routes make sense from the NE, I have never had a rude flight attendant, they have a good ontime record. Two outstanding experiences with Continental are: last year my husband and I took advantage of an upgrade to First Class/round trip to Puerto Rico for a mere $20 pp without using any of our frequent flyer miles; and a couple of years ago we were coming back from a cruise and most of the passengers were flying American so the check in line was really long but our Continental line had no one so we were able to immediately check our luggage and move on. This year we allowed the cruise line to handle our air and, unfortunately, they booked us on United/TED going out and Delta coming back. Had a bad experience with TED on a trip to Las Vegas but I have never flown Delta.

Last edited by NORMGLO; 12-04-2008 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Actually, there is a recent post that is relevant:

//www.city-data.com/forum/trave...-airlines.html

I prefer Southwest because they are always on time, they don't charge for luggage and it's really easy to change flights if need be.

Thank you.

sorry for the repeat question...I am off to check out that thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM

14,743 posts, read 31,403,218 times
Lately, Southwest because they can actually connect two non-hub airports without changing planes, their general flexibility, and their real down-to-earth cabin crews.

I've also had generally nice flights and friendly service on United and Continental.

I've had declining service on Delta...the worst of which was a scuffle with a very pissy gate attendant at SLC.

I've had unremarkable service on American.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,339,518 times
I like America. Its what I fly mostly for work, so it works for me. I took a Northwest flight this week. It was late both directions and they serve pepsi on board. Yes, it does make a huge difference to me. LOL Most of my miles are on either American or NW.

But, if I am paying for the flight myself, then I will fly anything except US Air. Terribly delays, terrible service. They booked my friend on a flight that connected in DC, only at two different airports. Yes, she should have noticed that, but why on earth should that ever be available for booking?! And they didn't even care when she called to change it, got different stories from every person she talked to.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 PM

Interesting. Southwest seems to be the way to go. I wish there were more of them in and out of Detroit.

I hate Spirit. Can't understand the customer service reps as they barely speak English. They charge you for a seat reservation and baggage, yet don't refund it if you cancel, yet they charge you for the cancellation. I am sure a lot of airlines do this, but it is very annoying that you spend your hard-earned money and get the crappiest of service.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 16,852 times
Default Re: What is your favorite domestic airline and why?

british air, i have always found the service and staff to be impeccable

Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 AM

22,751 posts, read 23,664,101 times
Southwest.
Flexibilty,lot of direct flights, good on time history and the crews seem to enjoy their work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel