Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

Any ideas about the cheapest world travel destinations? Let's eliminate places that are not safe, even though they may be cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Safety is somewhat subjective. We saw a dodgy situation or two in Guatemala, but had a great time.

Eastern Europe (Croatia is more expensive, and this will worsen when they get the euro, but we found good values in Montenegro)

Parts of Central and South America (example: Guatemala is still a fairly inexpensive place to visit)

certain destinations (such as Thailand) in Southeast Asia are supposed to be very cheap, but I've never been

Old 12-07-2008, 06:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Everyplace is safe. In my experience, India is probably the cheapest. Africa is expensive everywhere, considering the level of the infrastructure and the poverty of the people. Not bad in British countries, but very high in French countries. African visa fees are horrendois. aroud $100 for most countries. In East Asia, Laos, Philippines and Indonesia are cheap, Cambodia probably is, too, I havent been there. Nepal was cheap, but I don't know the current situation there. In the middle east, Syria and Egypt are pretty cheap. Europe is not cheap anywhere. Even Turkey and Portugal are higher than Mexico. In Latin America, all of Central America is fairly cheap. The Andean countries of South America are quite a bit cheaper than elsewhere--that would be Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia. In Mexico, there are plenty of hotels with doubles for around $10-15, and you can eat Mexican food for about $2 a plate---but not near the border.

This would refer to paying for basic, no-frills accommodations that are clean and reputable, and eating at food stalls or working-class restaurants. In the countries I've named above, two people can get by easily on $15-20 a day, food and lodging. As little as $10 with a little effort.

When I say everyplace is safe, I mean don't go out after dark where the streets are empty, and don't drink at all, and stay out of crowds, and don't trust people who approach you on the street and are overly friendly. If you do those things, everyplace is UNsafe. If you set your bags down at the station, stand on a strap or loop it around your ankle. Invest in a real moneybelt ($5, army surplus stores have them), and not a fannypack.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 PM

13 posts, read 46,560 times
I agree with those basic rule. Although, I would say do not go to places of war. That's common sense. My mom, who is a white southern gal, married a Costa Rican and went there in the mid-80's. Although, Costa Rica was not at war, the people were not happy with America's involvement in the conflict (thanks Regan.) She was spit on, and yelled at. My uncle had to punch out a guy on the bus. Just be careful of conflicts.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:11 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Thailand is very cheap and so is much of South east Asia. India can be very expensive depending on where you go/stay. For instance the Mariott in Goa will run you $300/night. I don't consider that cheap. In contrast I got a quote for the 5-star Sofitel in Bangkok for $80/night.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 22,680 times
Visit St. Croix. This small island is located a short distance from Puerto Rico and has great beaches, plenty sunshine and is a hot spot now since it is festival time.There are nice hotels that are less than $300 a night. If you are a cheap person, you can live anywhere. It is unsafe in every part of the world. We can all escape danger by using common sense.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Thailand is very cheap and so is much of South east Asia. India can be very expensive depending on where you go/stay. For instance the Mariott in Goa will run you $300/night. I don't consider that cheap. In contrast I got a quote for the 5-star Sofitel in Bangkok for $80/night.
When people ask for the cheapest place to go,. they are not asking about the Marriott. I bet there are plenty of Marriotts in the world that are couble that or more. You can go to any city on earth, and there will be at least one hotel there who will run the plastic handed them by a businessman on an expense account and very happily accept $500 a night. And then say "Wow that was easy" and raise the rates to $750.

Thailand and Malaysia are pretty cheap, compared to Taiwan or Korea, but still a little bit higher than what I wouls have considered my upper limit.

I have never booked on line, but just for the exercise, I checked Expedia for the local hotels here. All prices quoted were at least double what I know I can get at a nice, unlisted Indian-run motel down the street. I then phoned the hotels that were listed on Expedia, and found that I could get the same rate or less tonight, on the phone. None of them have nicer rooms than the Indian place, they just have additional amenities.

$300 a night in St. Croix? Cheap? I won't even go to a country, if I can't stay 30 nights for $300. I pay $400 a month rent.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Depends how you want to live, i have being to Vietnam, India, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia and they are all dirt cheap if you are prepared to rough it a bit and live like the locals do. If you a willing to forgo things like flush toilets, hot showers and western style beds, eat off the street and catch non tourist buses etc. You will have a great time on less than $20 a day, including a good night at the local drinking establishment every night of the week!
What I tend to find however is the less developed a country is the more you have to pay for modern luxuries. As other posters have stated if you want to stay in 5 star luxury accomidation, in say vietnam or india, its going to cost you heaps and is often far more expensive than their equilivents in developed countries.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:55 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
Depends on how you define cheap. I think Poland is pretty cheap, so is Hungary. You have to do your homework and find non-chain hotels to get the best deals.

I hear Dominican Republic has really good deals on all-inclusive resorts and the beaches are nice.

Western Europe/UK is outa sight price wise. Even with the decline of the Euro, its out of my price range now.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 AM

Here is how much more your US Dollar is worth now, than it was worth last summer. These are approximations, due to daily fluctuations. Remember, though, that last summer the dollar was very weak, and exchange rates in many places are now quite similar to what they were two or three years ago. For example, the Euro is now about the same as it was in October '06, Brazil the same as June '05. But Mexican Peso remained very steady for many years before suddenly dropping this fall. Southeast Asia follows the dollar fairly closely, and still does. Eastern Europe currencies generally follow the Euro.

Brazil 50%
Mexico 40%
Australia 35%
UK Pound 30%
Euro 25%
Canada 25%
India 20%
Switzerland 15%
Southeast Asia 5-10% (Thai, Malaysia, Singapore, etc.)
China 0% no change
Japan -10%

Last edited by jtur88; 12-08-2008 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel