Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

It's like New Orleans. Crime there is very blatant right now, but I've had reservations for April and we're doing it, anyway.

I would never bother wasting money for an exclusive resort in Mexico ~I can do the same in Palm Springs if all I want are drinks and poolside (and keep the tourism money close). When I go places I want to go OUT and experience the culture. I have heard enough bad experiences from people about Jamaica that I never attempted it (but Jamaice is another thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
May as well for me! Where are you staying?
Not sure yet...was looking at Riu Santa Fe
Hubbie & son want to go fishing..DIL and & I just want sun, sand & umbrella drinks

Old 02-15-2009, 11:44 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Well I just got returned from Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) and it was a great trip. There was a story in their local newspaper about some pick pocketing incidents on their public buses. We witnesses no crime nor were we victims of any. Felt as safe there as I do at home. I love Mexico and will return again in February 2010.
I know they are not close but any mention of the security shooting in Cancun? I was thinking of Playa in March but have reconsidered.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:38 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I am very sorry for your loss . I went to mexico on a high school trip senior class to be exact and boy what a nightmare . first the bus we were on broke down and then the hotel we were staying at caught on fire , a few of the kids got diahreah it was a total disaster . I called my mother and had her send me the money to get me back home . I told the chaperone I was going back home and had a taxi waiting for me to get me to the airport . She yelled at me that I could not leave . I was so peed I just ran out of there my luggage was already in the taxi . I got out of there and I was finally comfortable when we landed in dallas / ft worth texas I was never so glad to see the united states in my life . Yes I second this stay away from Mexico !!!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,862 times
My husband was born and raised in Mexico and we've traveled there several times to visit family. We've been to Cancun, Mexicali and Puerto Penasco to name a few. We've also traveled to Austin Texas, New York City and Chicago where muggings and murders also occur. I'm very sorry for your loss,but no matter where any of us travel to, we have to play it safe. You stay in heavily populated tourist areas, travel with a group, site see during the day or in a heavily lit area.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I am very sorry for your loss . I went to mexico on a high school trip senior class to be exact and boy what a nightmare . first the bus we were on broke down and then the hotel we were staying at caught on fire , a few of the kids got diahreah it was a total disaster . I called my mother and had her send me the money to get me back home . I told the chaperone I was going back home and had a taxi waiting for me to get me to the airport . She yelled at me that I could not leave . I was so peed I just ran out of there my luggage was already in the taxi . I got out of there and I was finally comfortable when we landed in dallas / ft worth texas I was never so glad to see the united states in my life . Yes I second this stay away from Mexico !!!
Please don't let one bad trip spoil the whole country for you! Any of these things could happen to you in the US also. Personally, I think High Scool Seniors are too immature for international travel. For adults, a bus breaking down is not such a big deal-we know how to stay calm and make other arrangements. I can't imagine trying to control a busload of HS students! You didn't mention WHERE in Mexico you went? Pick a mid-sized tourist location like Playa del Carmen, and an all-inclusive hotel to start. take some tours to see the ruins, snorkel, etc. And realize this is Mexico, not the US and absorb the culture, don't run away from it. Use commom sense and don't sweat the small stuff- I guarantee you will be back!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
My son died in Mexico. He was in an accident. The police could have talken him to the nearest clinic and he would have suruvide. Instead they waited for the Red Cross because they pay the cops to call them so they can pick up injured Americans. He died in Baja before they arrived. REparation is a nighmare of the worst kind. It took over a week to get him home.

The few times I've been ot Mexico have pleasant, I go to Columbus on the New Mexico/ Old Mexico border. I, nver more than two blocks from the border. with US and Mexico tensions the wy they are now, I wouldn't set foot in it.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I would not set foot in it today either regardless of my high school class trip experience . did you know that Mexico City has one of the highest kidnapping rates in the world ? I was done the day the hotel burned down on my senior class trip and oh excuse me I was 17 when this happened and could not wait to get home and I swore that if I had to walk to the border I would have and given someone the bird . LOL !!! my foot i was too young to travel !! my dad and mom taught me alot about taking care of myself and thank god i called them to meet me at the airport .

Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 PM

46 posts, read 152,020 times
There are bad people everywhere. But at least in Mexico you don't have to worry about the chimpanzees! There is obviously a simian problem in Connecticut and I wonder if "Travis"(if that's his real name) was in this country legally. I will never visit New England. It's just too dangerous.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I would guess that more people get mugged and killed weekly here in Chicago then they do in Cancun. Should I move? Crime can happen anywhere and overall, I think Cancun has a very low crime rate as compared to some other areas of Mexico and cities here in the United States. One would be overly cautious and paranoid to avoid Cancun because of one mugging. For what it's worth, I've been to various tourist spots in Mexico as recently as within the last 10 months. I've been to Mexico about 15 times and have never been a victim of crime and I often leave the resort and go into the town. Going again in 3 months and some random mugging won't stop me. The chances of me dying in a car accident here at home are greater. Maybe I should just become a shut in and not leave the house?
I thnik you need to look at the number of americans in chicago compared to Cancun and then the number of crimes. It just depends on the chance you want to take. But remmber that you are not in the USA if something does happen one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel