Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:52 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times

Advertisements

I've never ridden on Amtrak; the last time I rode a train at all was when I was six years old (that's almost 40 years ago now!). However, I'm planning to go visit my aunts up in Oregon, so I checked out Amtrak just out of curiosity. From L.A., that trip would take 27 hours! Since I'm not independently wealthy and can't afford a sleeper car (and also can't imagine sitting upright for such a long time, regardless of stops), I decided to fly instead. I found a round trip flight from Burbank to Portland, OR for only $208, and it only takes a little over two hours!

For people who have the time, and the money, it's probably great. For the rest of us... maybe not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,540,413 times
Pardon me, Roy...is that the cat that chewed your new shoes?

Old 12-28-2008, 04:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
This is a very informative thread, my thanks to everyone who contributed.
I've been looking into Amtrak--it did look awfully expensive.
But I would think that it would indeed be scenic, if you have the time.
J Arp--good advice about the BYOB. That's something a person can't do on an airplane.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,755,103 times
I live 5 minutes from an Amtrak station on the east coast corridor. Unfortunately, Acela does not stop here. My expierence is that its great from here to DC or here to NY (I'm north of Baltimore). I did take it round trip to Boston. Was over an hour late both directions. It was very long and, after awhile, very boring. We didn't have a "dining car," just the lounge car with coffee, Pepsi, microwave food, and a few cold snacks. I ate two or three of the $4 cheese plates. I would not take it to Boston again. Wouldn't take it for anything over 2 hours.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,862,365 times
I personally enjoyed my trips on Amtrack. I took one from Hermiston, OR to Denver, CO. Going over the Blues and into the Rockies was spectactular. I saw areas that one cannot see from a car or plane. I traveled with my then three month old. I traveled coach and found the seats to be comfortable. A lot of folks strectched out on the floor of the view car. It was nice to to be able to go to the bathroom with a little one as they were very spacious. I believe there was even a bathroom with a shower on the coach cars.

We did loose power to one engine while going over the Blues, so we traveled rather slowly. But the engine was replaced in Salt Lake, UT and we were going again in short time. Our train was probably an hour or so late getting into Denver.

I also took Amtrack from Williston, ND to Pasco, WA and back and again from Williston to Ellensburg, WA and back. These trips I traveled with a toddler. It was so nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the trip instead of doing all of the traveling by car. The view car had plenty of space to let my toddler play and stretch. Much better than a car that is for sure and cheaper and better for little ears than a plane. The plane would have charged me an extra ticket for my toddler where as he rode for free on Amtrack.

The only bad part of those trips were we went over Glacier, MT at night and couldn't see anything and we went across the top ugly part of MT during the daytime where all you saw was flat land after flat land.

I don't remember there being any hidden fees for baggage. I took 3-4 carry ons and a couple of checked bags my first trip, the next two I just took 3-4 carry ons. (I think they allow two per person which they included my toddler in the count.) The dining car was a bit expensive, but not terrible. If you are on a tight budget you wouldn't want to eat in the dining car the whole trip. The snack car was cheaper and a lot of folks brought their own food and beverages.

They even played Bingo in the dining car after Dinner, and you could also play cards. If you didn't have cards they give you some.

I would love to take Amtrack again. I just wish they would put a line in from Spokane, WA to Denver, CO. Denver and Salt Lake are the closest Amtrack Stations we have to us.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Pardon me, Roy...is that the cat that chewed your new shoes?
I wonder how many people got this? The original song is fairly old, and from what I recall, isn't heard too often. I have it on CD, though, so I am familiar with it.

I like the play on words, Crew Chief. It made me laugh.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I wonder how many people got this? The original song is fairly old, and from what I recall, isn't heard too often. I have it on CD, though, so I am familiar with it.

I like the play on words, Crew Chief. It made me laugh.
Thanks, jdavid....I read it but didn't "get it"....until I read your post...of COURSE.....an old "pre-Amtrak" RR passenger-related song..

I get it now....

Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,185,929 times
'bout 4 yrs. ago I think it was (pre katrina) we took Amtrak from Jax Fl to New Orleans. I had a blast- I like to talk , so met a lot of interesting folks We left about 7 I think, and rolled toward and into NO at dawn. It was misty, the sky was amazing, and it was a real treat to be in the dining car, having a good breakfast while watching the city coming into view. The cemetaries (above ground) were interesting from that viewpoint. We enjoyed it, a leisurely trip, no pressure to be on time any where. The workers on the train were very nice and helpful.

I would recommend a sleeper car for more than one overnight. The coach seats stopped reclining at that awkward spot It isn't a FAST way to travel for sure, but if you are adventurous, flexible and not on a strict time table, it is an awesome way to travel and see America from a different angle.

I would love to go out west by train...maybe someday...when we have time!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Thanks, jdavid....I read it but didn't "get it"....until I read your post...of COURSE.....an old "pre-Amtrak" RR passenger-related song..

I get it now....
Track twenty-nine....yes, I did get it, and should have mentioned it in my post.

It seems like the thing to remember is Time--traveling by train is a different mind-set.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:40 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
I took Amtrak from St Louis to Chicago once about 16 years ago. No real problems on the way up so we got in only about an hour late.

Returning, there was some type of mechanical problem. We were stuck on the tracks for the longest time and got in 7 hours late. As I had left a 2 hour leeway before I had to be at work and Amtrak reported to have gotten in on time, I almost lost my job.

Now I have kids and they really want to ride a train. But 4 plane tickets to San Diego are $808 rt and Amtrak would be (with a sleeper car) over $2000. So, flying it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel