Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,868 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

So in about a month and a half's time i'll be helping my girlfriend move from Rochester, NY back here to Los Angeles. She doesn't have many things she needs to bring, no need for a UHAUL, so i'm just renting a mini-van or SUV for the trip. The biggest importance to me is route, travel time, and how much it'll cost altogether. My rental is already going to be approximately $300 for a week. I assume with such a big car, i'll spend another $500 on gas, give or take. To cut it down:

-How are February driving conditions? I've seen threads suggesting the longer but safer southern route at this time of year

-What would my travel time be (one way) with the least amount of stops possible? Could I do it in 2 days with one overnight stay?

-What else should I be considerng here when prepping for the solo part of the drive? At this point, the longest and furthest i've driven alone was from Aspen, CO to Los Angeles in about 14 hours.

-How much would be enough to set aside for any additional expenses that may come up?

This has gotta be a lot easier than I think. But worrying about the worst case scenario or stranded far from home or my destination is there. Maybe you more experienced travelers can easy my mind. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:48 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberlou View Post

I've seen threads suggesting the longer but safer southern route at this time of year
You're absolutely right! Arrive alive! That's the only thing that matters. Maybe you haven't looked at, say, CNN lately but the entire northern 60% of the U.S. has been buried in snow, ice, blizzards, windstorms, whiteouts and avalanches for a few weeks. The only sensible way to go is straight south from Rochester and through Alabama, Louisiana, and stay far south through Arizona.

A friend of mine just arrived back on the west coast from a car trip that started in New Jersey, and because it is dead winter he wound up having to drive very far south as I just described.

Quote:
Could I do it in 2 days with one overnight stay?
Nobody could drive from Rochester to L.A. in 2 days even if they were driving a Formula One car in a straight diagonal path!!
Lots of reasons:
-- far too many miles, burning up both the car and the driver;
-- the driver insanity that sets in after about 800 miles or so, requiring that a lone driver get out and walk around and do other things for some hours, to realign mind, body, eyesight, reflexes...;
-- local construction and other limiting conditions, such as flooding and crashes, that have to be expected everywhere;
-- speed limits, State Patrols, local police -- remember that when locals see you speeding with your NY plates they're likely to report you on their cell phones;
-- darkness: it's deliberate suicide to drive, in the dark, on unknown roads in unknown conditions with no knowledge of local resources and help.

Plan on 5 days and 4 nights on the road.

Arrive alive! THAT is the only thing that matters. Have a safe trip.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 7,868 times
Ahh, thank you. I had a feeling I was in over my head but didn't really have any realistic input despite doing some google searching. There's still an alternate option of my girlfriend flying here and us driving back to her folks in a couple months when the cold weather subsides. Road conditions will be better and I won't go as crazy. I know EXACTLY what you mean about driver insanity. I felt it halfway through my Colorado drive.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
I am doing something similar soon, from San Antonio to Va...

What if you had her fly out, one way on a cheap ticket, and then you both drive to get her stuff? It would be a fun adventure, and you would have the both of you to handle driving, navigating, dealing with issues, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel