Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 PM

10 posts, read 43,969 times

Advertisements

A former college friend and I are planning on a trip to Brazil in February. I was recommended to rent an apartment instead of getting a hotel. Stay in Copacabana in Rio De Janiero. Go to Club Help and that's about it.

Is that good advice? Do I need to know anything else? Do I need to avoid anything in particular?

Please advise,

Slimmy Slim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
hire your own goon. dont leave home without it.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Brazil is EXTREMELY dangerous. Do NOT bring anything with you about which you'd be upset if it were stolen. You'll notice that many cars don't really pull up to red lights, but rather keep moving slowly toward a red light: that's because stopped cars get attacked.

When I checked into my hotel (and it was a very nice one, as it was a business trip), the clerk said, 'Here is your room key, here is your minibar key, don't go out alone.'

It's a dangerous place.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-13-2009 at 05:53 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
hire your own goon. dont leave home without it.
I have to explain something to a concerned member here about the previous post posted by huckleberry.
"Goon" is not "vulgar" by any means, but merely describes hiring your own "criminal". (As in protecting YOU!)

Parts of Brazil, especially around that time of year, when the carnival takes place, is known to have a tremendous incline of muggings, stabbings, hold-up's, deaths...etc.etc.etc. aimed directly at tourists.
Even locals will tell you to stay within the "mainstream", not to wander off, and only go with people you know, and as a group.

Yes, it can be dangerous, if one doesn't take the proper precautions.

So, nothing vulgar here.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimmy Slim View Post
A former college friend and I are planning on a trip to Brazil in February. I was recommended to rent an apartment instead of getting a hotel. Stay in Copacabana in Rio De Janiero. Go to Club Help and that's about it.

Is that good advice? Do I need to know anything else? Do I need to avoid anything in particular?

Please advise,

Slimmy Slim
Definately rent an apartment...Hotels sometimes are kind of iffy bringing in female guests, Copacabana or Ipanema will suit you perfectly. Along with Club Help at night and Meia Pataca during the day check out the huge club district called LAPA! There you will find nice girls from Rio and the livest scene I've ever laid eyes on and it's much better than Help which is nothing but a hooker bar at night albeit fun as well.

Dont wear expensive jewerly and carry around flashy phones. Definately hang out on the beach in Copa and Ipa and party in the street drink caipiranas and be safe. The Rio Metro is a great tool and it's safe as well. You can also take a number of shared taxis from Copa/Ipa to Centro where Lapa/Gloria and alot of the nightlife is located. If you want more upscale nightlife check out Barra in the Zona Sul and Leblon. Have fun!

For more info post your questions on the Rio forums at Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor. You will have more detailed help with local experts. Have fun!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times
I went to the Carnival in Rio. Stay in Ipanema,it's much safer.Copacabana has too much activity and is easier to have things stolen. When I was there I wore what the locals did;shorts,tank tops,sandles,cap,carried no jewelry,wore a moneybag around my waist,got very tanned. I am asian,and there are many asians from Sao Paulo.So I looked like one of them. Don't try to look like a tourist. Do what the Romans do.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:01 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Don't give anyone a reason to want to harm you.

Have you gotten your Visa yet? That takes a while.

I'm so jealous! My friend and I made plans to go this year, too, but it fell through when she had to bail out on me for Nicaragua. I remember Carnival as a kid - the festivities, colors, action, dancing ... have fun!

p.s. And don't forget to do some sightseeing, too, like going to see the Christ Redeemer!

Last edited by foma; 02-12-2009 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: added p.s.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 AM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Don't give anyone a reason to want to harm you.

Have you gotten your Visa yet? That takes a while.

I'm so jealous! My friend and I made plans to go this year, too, but it fell through when she had to bail out on me for Nicaragua. I remember Carnival as a kid - the festivities, colors, action, dancing ... have fun!

p.s. And don't forget to do some sightseeing, too, like going to see the Christ Redeemer!
Hi Foma,that Christ Redeemer is a wondeful sight.

I think the view from many parts of the city is unbelievable. It's truly amazing!

I think the locals are really friendly! If you don't know where you are going,just ask,if they don't know they would as the people around them.Pretty soon you would have a whole group of people standing around you

Old 02-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
I will be in Olinda/Recife Recife-Olinda Carnaval Guide for Carnival! Anyone else going to Brazil for Carnival this year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel