U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:01 PM

33,085 posts, read 61,917,090 times

Advertisements

Delta misplaced my luggage on a nonstop flight from Cincinnati to Albuquerque. I was heading to Santa Fe directly from the airport, and gave the airline my hotel location and phone number; they told me my luggage would be on the next flight and I"d have it by midnight. At 9 the next morning, still no luggage. I called Delta to find out where it was, and the customer service person was completely inept. After about 45 minutes of no help at all on his part, he said he was "having a bad day." "At least you're wearing clean underwear," I responded. Come to find the airline had delivered my luggage to the wrong hotel, and they would not deliver it to me until the next day. I was in Santa Fe only for one day, and thank goodness I had a rental car and could retrieve it on my own. The hotel where the luggage was delivered said the desk clerk had told the airline delivery person that I was not registered at that hotel, and that another hotel in the same chain was about three miles down the road and that probably was where it should be delivered, but they left it there anyway. No apologies, no partial refund, nothing. Argh.

It's no wonder travelers don't want to check their bags!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,062,587 times
These are the most recent ones that involve traveling w/ the family. I traveled a lot when I was single and many times would be standby and had all kinds of adventures but these are the most recent worst.

1. A couple of summers ago we went on a family vacation down to Florida. Flew into Ft Lauderdale to spend a few days in that area then head down to the Keys for a week and then back to FTL to fly home back to Dallas. Nonstop flight from D/FW to Ft Lauderdale. Upon arrival to the airport in Dallas I knew it was trouble when I saw the HUGE PILE of luggage at security waiting to get scanned at the check-in and those guys were in NO HURRY! I had put my cell # in as an update to notify if any changes on the flight and while waiting to go thru security I got the notice that the flight changed gates (probably not a good sign for the luggage ya think ). When we got to the baggage carousel in Florida only about 1/2 of the luggage made it and not one piece was ours. I felt really bad for all the people leaving on a cruise. YIKES! At least we are on the mainland and can hit the mall if need be. They told us that most of the luggage was on the next flight. You should have seen the looks on the faces of the people that came to claim their luggage on THAT flight. HAHAHA!!!! Well a few pieces showed up then but out of all four of us only 1 piece made it, my husbands, the ONLY male in our family. YOU! The male. The person we could hit a souviner shop and get some swim trunks, tshirt and sandals and your set. Instead here are 3 females with NOTHING!!! Just the little bit of carry-on that YOU let us bring. I'm always wanting to pack more in our carry-ons and take the max but NOOOO. So we all file into the office and make our lost luggage claims then go get our rental car and head out of the airport and find some lunch. Oh yeah, this was the day that one of the hurricanes was coming on shore. LOL!!! So much for travel insurance. It only covers if the hurricane is hitting your PRIMARY RESIDENCE! geez. So it is hot, humid and WINDY! We go back to the airport late that night and I find my carry-on and one of my daughters. WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!! But we are still missing one, the eldest. And this is the child whom just lost the week before ALL of her dirty clothes from camp and they have not been found. She is needless to say already running short of clothes. So we head to a Target and get her a few things to get by for a few days. Happily her luggage did show up at the hotel the next day. Both girls suitcases were totally destroyed too when we got them and I had just bought them.

Going back I made sure that ANYTHING that we did not want to lose was carried onto the plane and hubby even BOUGHT another suitcase in order for us to have another bag to carry on. LOL!!! I did however get kind of perturbed when I saw the guy doing the security screening at the airport in Florida riffle thru my bag and pull out EVERYTHING including a magazine and started reading it. WTF!!! Put the thing DOWN AND GET OUR BAGS CHECKED IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:43 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,047,109 times
Flying on LOT (Polish Airlines) in the early 90's before they banned smoking on international flights. It was smokier than a bar! My eyes watered all the way to Warsaw. I also overheard the flight attendant inform another passenger that he did not want to order the 'beef' dinner as it tasted 'like rocks'. I took the advice and ordered the chicken. It wasn't too bad.

Flying back to Chicago from Germany, there was almost a physical altercation between a rather angry middle aged German woman and 3 Polish teenagers who kept hovering around her seat (as one of the teenagers was assigned the seat next to her) acting loutish and screeching loudly during the whole flight. I was seated behind all of them and would have thrown them all from the plane had I been given the opportunity.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,357 times
Couple of years ago I was coming from India with a stop in Amsterdam before going to US. I gave my booklets with the tickets in India when I was checking in. Then I got the boarding passes and the booklet. It seems the guy took also the Amsterdam ticket. I only had the ticket and boarding passes from India and then from Amsterdam to US. When I was boarding in Amsterdam the flight attendant tells me yelling the ticket, the ticket. I was what? I am like I only have the boarding pass, most probably the guy in India took it by mistake. She told me you have to purchase another ticket. I asked can she checked in her computer. I am not sure about all this. I do not know if they can do this. If you do not have tickets but the boarding pass you can not travel. Anyways I was alone and I started crying. It was humiliating. Everybody was boarding, and I was on the floor checking my hand bag to see if it was there, although I knew the guy from the check in counter in India most have taken it. She kept telling me you have to go and buy a ticket. I was telling her I had the boarding pass and copy ticket that I purchased. I kept crying telling her I am traveling alone and I do not understand why I can not travel if in India they gave me the boarding passes. They should have seen I had the tickets. Finally she let me in the plane. The plane took 8 hours and for the first 2 hours I was sobbing, I could not help the hick ups. It was my worse experience with KLM.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,357 times
5 years ago I was traveling from Dallas to Memphis in AA. I do not have strength in my arms so I asked the flight attendant if I he could help me put my hand bag in the compartment. He told me if I can not do it myself then I have to check it in. I was surprised. I have always seen then helping other people. So I move my arm to the back and a again to the front and was able to throw the bag in the upper compartment. This was unbelievable.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:27 PM

71 posts, read 382,381 times
Default Worst airline story . . .

My American Airlines airplane nearly landed on top of another private airplane in Dallas during a rain storm. This was after we circled the airport, way, way up (above the storm) for like two hours and running out of fuel!!!

It felt like we were coming down wrong, too. I was sitting in the exit seat and heard the landing gear come down . . . but still, we were teeter toters as we came down. This didn't seem normal, or save to me . . .we had no balance, it felt like we were going to land on one side or the other. Winds were strong, visibility zero and our fuel very low (this was announced to us). Then, I know we must be getting closer to the ground; landing gear is down and we are teeter-totering, just as it seems we should touch land we shoot up, suddenly, no warning, like a rocket!!! We didn't know, except for the fact we suddenly, inches (it seemed) from the runway to suddenly shoot up! We went up and up and up for what felt like hours (although it was only a few minutes) and everyone was in complete silence as we were all in shock.

Finally, on nearly an empty tank (the pilot had the nerve to announce this periodically while we were in the air!) -- we were diverted to Kansas City to land, where there was no storm; where we were finally told the facts of the nearly fatal landing in Dallas.

The pilot(s), though, given the go-ahead to land in that terrible storm saved our lives by pulling up before we hit the other plane. Which surely would've killed everyone . . .

I hope an airline never loses my luggage . . . or traps me in a city, refusing to pay for a hotel because rain is an 'act of God' and they do not pay for acts of God. [another incident]. Still, I will take lost luggage or missed connections over plane crashes, or near-misses anyday!

Last edited by AngelAura28; 06-13-2007 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: To finish my thoughts . . .

Old 06-15-2007, 05:32 PM

465 posts, read 2,276,524 times
Coming back from L.A. on a plane with a broken air conditioner and a baby in the seat in front of me, and one behind me. Both screaming at the top of their lungs. Then I wanted to cry, but tried to sleep instead.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,332,530 times
My experience wasn't on a major airline, but a seaplane up in Thunder Bay, Canada -- way up north. It was early September, and four of us decided to go camping in a cabin up north, and the only access in was by plane -- no boats, no bridges, no roads. It took two trips in -- two passengers each trip.

We got to the island the cabin was on okay. We had our sleeping bags with us, our canned goods, food, other items. It was really nice the first part of the week with moose coming to feed by the water and fishing on the lake.

When the pilot left us there, he told us there was no way to contact him -- he would just show up. No phone service, no cell phones, nothing.

Well, at the end of the week, it started to get cold. After waiting some time, the pilot finally rested on the water. He was rather excited and hurried us up. He told us to leave everything "heavy" behind -- no food, no metal, leave anything we didn't ever need again! Seriously. He said it had started to snow, and he could only make one trip back. We all had to tumble into that tiny plane.

As he started the engine and glided on up the water, he told us to brace ourselves -- he had to make a turn. THEN he told us, "If we can make this turn and not capsize, we can probably get into the air....." WHOA! Man, I was scared. The tiny plane tipped a bit but the pilot managed to upright it, and get it going straight. Then he took off into the air. As we looked down, and we were quite close to the trees, we saw snow had already settled there. After some nail biting, we finally landed!! Safely!

Now, that was strange. I'm just glad I didn't have to find out what would've happened had the plane toppled over or didn't make it over the trees!!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:11 AM

31,411 posts, read 17,557,212 times
I flew on American Airlines for both of these stories.

1) Flying from Omaha to Dallas-Fort Worth (ultimate destination being Long Beach), the landing was very rough. There was some turbulence in the air, and as we were landing, the plane was swaying from side to side. Everyone was gripping their arm rests tightly, holding on for dear life. I truly thought we were going to crash. Thankfully, the pilot was able to land the plane, even though we bounced pretty hard at first. The guy sitting next to me looked like a businessman (dressed in a shirt and tie), and he said, "I think the flight attendant was trying to land the plane."

2) Flying non-stop from LAX to Newark, NJ. I had the misfortune of being seated near this family with two out-of-control kids. Not only were the kids noisy, but they kept getting out of their seats and running up and down the aisle when they weren't supposed to. One of the flight attendants approached the dad and asked him to keep his kids restrained. He in turn proceeded to tell her off and gave her a piece of his mind. She walked away from him shaking her head and rolling her eyes. I can understand parents needing to travel with their young children, but in this case, the parents were the problem, in not being able to keep their kids from being so disruptive.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:54 PM

786 posts, read 4,384,506 times
Flying from Paris to Washington DC we were diverted to Canada.

I sat on the tarmac in Gander NF (in Canada) for 7 hours after being diverted to that City when my flight had a mechanical problem. Finally they let us out of the plane and we sat in the small Airport for another 8 hours. Finally they determined that the plane needed new parts, so they sent all of us to a variety of local Hotels with directions to come back in 10 hours. Finally we left 34 hours later after sitting on the plane 4 hours the next day waiting to take off.

The boss did not believe my story why I had to come to work 2 days late and came close to firing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or