Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 AM

13 posts, read 56,703 times

Advertisements

I recently was offered a certificate to fly anywhere that United Airlines flew in America for being bumped off a flight. I have already been to all the interesting places in America and really have no use for the certificate, so I gave it to a friend.

To me, almost anyplace overseas or south of the border is 100 times more interesting than here in America. I find most American cites to be dull and very much the same. Traveling overseas makes me perk up and think. It is just so much more interesting and stimulating.

What do you prefer, overseas travel or domestic travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 04:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Given my druthers, I prefer overseas travel as well. I love exploring the different architecture, history and general culture of other parts of the world. Language is always an interesting challenge, too.
However, the USA is huge, has plenty of its own diversity and I do hope to see more of my country before I am too decrepit to enjoy it.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:49 PM

83 posts, read 325,025 times
I prefer overseas as well. There are so many neat things to see overseas and there is so much history. There isn't anything like that in the U.S. The Tower of London with the Yeoman Warders, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Vatican with the Sistine Chapel in Rome, the pyramids outside Cairo, the canals in Venice, the fjords and waterfalls in Norway, the Carlsberg beer in Denmark, the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh, the abbey at Mont St. Michel, the Great Barrier Reef outside Port Douglas, Ayers Rocks in the Australian Outback, the Sydney Opera House in Sydney. So many cool things. The U.S. does have some stuff worth seeing. NYC is great to visit to get to see a show on Broadway, the Rockettes and the Statue of Liberty. Washington D.C. is great for all the museums and monuments. Philadelphia, Boston and Colonial Williamsburg for the Revolutionary history. The Grand Canyon, Yosemite National Park and Niagara Falls for stunning nature sites. Mount Rushmore would be cool to see too though I don't know if there is anything else in that area around it. So many places to see and so little time to see them. Sigh.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 PM

269 posts, read 913,751 times
I have traveled many places in the US ... and not as many international, but am just starting. The show The Amazing Race really has me wanting to go so many places, there is so much out there. I remember making the comment about some of the buildings and sites in other countries and wondering why we didn't have such things and my school age kids were quick to remind me that our country is a lot younger than some of the other countries.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:31 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Thumbs up Both!

Having traveled extensively abroad, I can say it is worth while, even if it costs you an arm and a leg. You will gain insight, and experience that is priceless.

I've also traveled in the US, but admittedly, not so much in the North East. However, there is something great to see in just about every state.

I used to back pack, then I met my wife, then girlfriend, and we used to go backpacking together. We both had an employer that was really great with the vacation policies, and we used to take all of ours at once, so we were usually gone four to six weeks at a time, that is the only way to do it in my opinion, especially if you travel great distances.

We've both been to all of Eastern and Western Europe, the UK, Scandinavia, Asia, Australia and South America. Of course, the US and Mexico as well, also Hawaii. Without my wife, I've also spent months in the Middle East as well.

One thing great about doing it as an adult is you are aware (hopefully) of the history. To walk the Great Wall of China, the Pyramids, stand in the Coliseum in Rome, or hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, or standing at the top of Upper Yosemite Falls is a cleansing of the soul.

Even today, or three children, eldest is 5, had passports within as short of two weeks after being born. Our kids have been to the great cities in Europe, and I still remember having to carry my eldest child up and down all the steps in Venice. My wife and I had already been to these cities before, and we still travel, and we take the kids too, though they may not remember, they will always have the family photos. Imagine what those places will look like when our children are in their 30s, married. They will have great memories indeed.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Well, I've been to about as many international destinations as I have domestic, even though I live in a place woefully served by air transportation (Duluth, MN - where it takes about 22 hours to get to Europe). I have to say I like both. International travel for the new cultural insights. Domestic travel for road trips.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
I think a lot of Americans will find US travel not as exciting as world travel merely because everything is so familiar, not necessarily because America itself is dull. A lot of people from England find travel within England boring but US travel very exciting. I think that is just the nature of people wanting to experience something different than what they've known their whole lives.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_plain_woman View Post
... I find most American cites to be dull and very much the same... What do you prefer, overseas travel or domestic travel?
See that's your problem - CITIES. Indeed most American cities do look the same. Look beyond the cities - national parks, state parks, wild areas, mountains, beaches, deserts, the great planes, etc. I have yet to go to any country internationally that was more geographically diverse or awe-inspiring than the U.S. in terms of natural beauty, and I've been to every continent on this world except Greenland and Australia. I can name dozens of geographical features in the U.S. that I have seen that have absolutely no match anywhere else.

Now for cities, I agree. You travel internationally to experience the culture of a different place which obviously includes it's cities and people. But if you want a vacation just to experience the beauty of earth - I can get all that and more just by staying in the U.S. I still take vacations in the U.S. - but it is definetly not for the purpose of experiencing a city. How boring. I will target a national park or group of parks in a certain region.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_plain_woman View Post
To me, almost anyplace overseas or south of the border is 100 times more interesting than here in America. I find most American cites to be dull and very much the same.
The problem is that you are spending your time in the city. There is nothing to see in cities! They ARE all the same and sterile and boring (ok, the really big ones might be an exception i.e. NYC, Chicago, LA).

The small towns of America is where you will find the good stuff.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I like traveling, period. There is something unique and interesting everywhere, the trick is to get off the beaten path and find it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel