Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 PM

269 posts, read 913,511 times

Advertisements

I can not believe how little time it took, I believe I went to the post office on Dec 18th ... I got it yesterday in the mail, Jan 2nd!! With Holidays and Weekends ... it only took about 8 work days!!! So NOW I can breathe easy and start planning my trip to Mexico!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
I can not believe how little time it took, I believe I went to the post office on Dec 18th ... I got it yesterday in the mail, Jan 2nd!! With Holidays and Weekends ... it only took about 8 work days!!! So NOW I can breathe easy and start planning my trip to Mexico!!

Great, now you're trackable!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:56 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
HOT DOGGG!!! Now you can escape from the coming new great depression!!

Really, Txhawk, that's fabulous. You now have the best identification document in the world -- well, except inside the U.S. where citizens are generally insular and don't know anything about passports.

You MUST guard that passport pretty much with your life.

Storing: a safety deposit box is good. Another great place is inside one, then another, small, new ziplock bags (to prevent any water damage) and placed at the very back of your freezer compartment. Put your birth certificate with it; your SS card; emergency cash; any docs you keep at home that must have utmost protection.
Ever notice when a house or apartment goes up in flames, what's left standing and intact? Yep, the refrigerator.

Replacement: If you ever do lose your passport, how will you get another? Right away, make a few photocopies of the page with your picture -- open the passport and spread it out flat on the copier to copy both upper and lower parts of the page. Keep 2 in the freezer; keep one in your suitcase when you travel and the other in your moneybelt so no one can steal it. Put the 3rd copy in some other safe place at home, and when you travel give that copy to someone you trust so that you have an additional resource to get a replacement.

Have fun in Mexico!!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:42 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I got my passport last February and went on a trip to Europe in May. Visited six countries, England, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, and Italy. We had a great time and now I'm ready for more! I'm thinking New Zealand at some point this year, my old boss lives there and I'd like to go and visit. Once you travel to a different country, you are hooked!

Old 01-04-2009, 04:13 PM

83 posts, read 324,946 times
If you're going to visit New Zealand Warptman, you should see some of Australia too. It's only 3 or 4 hours flying away from there and it rocks too. However, you do need a visa for Australia whereas you don't need one for New Zealand.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:15 PM

269 posts, read 913,511 times
Warptman, with all those places visited was it some sort of scheduled trip or did you just go where you wanted ?? I ask because I am interested in traveling but unsure how to go about foreign countries!! I am hooked on traveling ... I've only been to Mexico, but I want to go so many other places!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:28 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkester View Post
If you're going to visit New Zealand Warptman, you should see some of Australia too. It's only 3 or 4 hours flying away from there and it rocks too. However, you do need a visa for Australia whereas you don't need one for New Zealand.
It is really easy to get that visa fir Australia now, it is done online and costs like $20 Australian dollars. Internet Visa Services Australia
When you get there, it is in the system, your passport is stamped and you are ready to go!

Once you visit New Zealand, you will be hooked! It is one of the most beautiful places on the earth. So much remains untouched.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
Warptman, with all those places visited was it some sort of scheduled trip or did you just go where you wanted ?? I ask because I am interested in traveling but unsure how to go about foreign countries!! I am hooked on traveling ... I've only been to Mexico, but I want to go so many other places!

It was a part of a travel class with the University of Alaska-Kuskokwim Campus. They hold a travel class once every two years. We based our tour on Rick Steves books. Here is a breakdown of our nightly stays...

May 7 & 8th-Ace Hotel in London

May 9th-Night ferry to Hoek Van Holland

May 10-11th Carillon Hotel Haarlem, Netherlands (day trips to Amsterdam)

May 12-14th St. Christopher's Inn, Paris France (tours of museums, tower)

May 15-16th Mountain Hostel Gimmelwald Switzerland (free to do anything)

May 17th night train Bern to Florence Italy

May 18-20th Alessandro Hotel Rome, Italy. (everything Rome)

May 21st-22nd Ostello Cinque Terre Manarola, Italy (free time)

May 23rd-24th Venezia Hostel Venice Italy (free time)

May 25th Night train Venice-Paris.

May 26th Fast train Paris to London through Chunnel.

May 26th Ace Hotel and the 27th flight from London/Gatwick to Cincinnati-Anchorage.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
I tried to rep you , Warpt, but it's too soon.... That was incredibly generous and informative of you, to type out your whole itinerary to help the OP. You are a fine person. But we already knew that, didn't we?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 AM

Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel