Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times

Advertisements

Which is it? Did your sister "HIJACK" your vacation or did you invite her? Please don't make me play the 'Jesus' card (WWJD?) . Sounds to me that IF your hotel actually allows you to invite extra guests, that would be the best route to go and ALL should have a great time . But on the other hand, if they don't allow you to bring in guests...well then, that would be up to your conscience and you should consider other options that would be good for all .

One thing I really appreciate now, being quite a distance from my family and all, is that time together is 'precious' and nothing, not even waterslides can replace the time spent with loved ones . Also, I admire your sister for understanding her financial limits, but still taking the time and effort to be with you. There are way too many folks, spending money they don't have, on things they don't need, with no intention of paying the money back (don't get me started on this subject LOL !).

Hey Hoosier buddy, I got my bathing suit ready, is there room for 1 more??? When should I be ready? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Can you tell I love waterslides too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
See here's the deal. Actually the hotel is the focal point of the trip. These hotels selling points are that they have massive waterparks in them. They are absouletly amazing! It's so much fun and you don't even have to leave the hotel premises. Between a couple of pools, 8 to 10 huge waterslides, wave pool, 2 kid's areas and there are lots of fun activities for kids and adults. Each hotel has it's own waterpark...this is how they compete with one another. They're super spendy because of the sweet amenities they offer.

The hotel she is staying at is your run of the mill hotel with a pool and few small waterslides (I've seen their site and read reviews). And it's a Howard Johnson. It's not about the hotel brand, it's about what it has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 04:31 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
I agree with...I believe it was MoMark. If you can bring guests, invite them to your hotel. I am sure when you invited your sister, you made it clear that you were staying at the normal hotel you always stay at, so she made the choice...without contacting you first it sounds like, to stay at a different hotel.

A hotel is as someone already said-sleeping, crapping, showering. Of course your hotel is special-like a mini resort. Having kids myself, I wouldn't disappoint them, as my children would come before my sibling and I am sorry for all who disagree. I would stay at the different hotels, and invite your sister over every day...even if you have to pay a guest fee or something. Perhaps go to hers a day or two too.

Now I don't remember if you said how long your trip was. Did you already pay for your room? If your vacation is a week, how about stay at her hotel for 2 days and then your normal hotel for the rest?

Make sure you treat her to dinner too!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
We had the same thing happen in PA one year when all my husband's family was there. Just make sure to include her in the plans you want to share with her and let her stay at the hotel/motel she has booked. Really not a big deal, although at the time that my sister-in-law booked at a different hotel it seemed like it to us. Just enjoy family time and make sure to have lots of fun. Life is too short.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:09 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
A Howard Johnson's would not be a vacation to me. Everyone has different priorities. Once again, MoMark is the voice of reason- she can enjoy the beneifts of your place and stay within her budget. Looks like a win-win!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:27 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
We had a vacation with my husbands cousin once and stayed in different hotels,only we stayed in the cheaper one.His cousin and girlfriend preferred our hotel and came to our pool everynight. BTW been to the dells and we actually went to a camp gound (they did have showers and bathrooms and were well kept) But I would keep my plans and just have fun.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:25 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Okay, here's the deal. My family and I have begun going on vacation to the Dells, Wisconsin every year (to the waterpark hotels). When we go we hang out at the hotel and don't do the touristy things as it's just cheesy and a waste of money. Plus my kids love the waterslides...okay, I do too (I'm there 'til they close).

Anyway here is my dilemma. I invited my sister and her kids to meet us there. She lives in a different state and it's quite a long drive. She's a single mom so this is a big deal for her. When we first agreed on this vacation I thought it was decided on the hotel we normally stay at. Recently I was informed that the hotel was too expensive and they needed to go elsewhere. I am completely fine with that as I understand her financial situation. However now I'm in a pickle. Do I stay at the cheap hotel she is staying at and do the cheesy things in the Dells, or stay at our normal hotel and hang out with them for meals and maybe a day in the town? I really want to respect her situation and we only see each other maybe once a year, if that...but we talk on the phone and email all the time.

I feel that if I don't stay at the hotel they are staying at then I'm being a jerk and insensitive. I've thought about bailing on the entire idea and just saying we can't make it. But she's brought up how excited they all are. To add just a little background, the kid's dad doesn't speak to them, doesn't send Christmas or birthday gifts etc. He hasn't been sending child support for close to six months so my sister has had to work two jobs and move twice just to make ends meet. Thus, he's a dirtbag IMHO and biased of course.

All input whether positive or negative (calling me a dirtbag too is ok) is appreciated.

-Hoosier_guy (formerly Hoosier67)
I think the key word is "I INVITED MY SISTER". Maybe you should try to make it a fun time for her kids since it seems like they have been dumped on lately. You'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread if you pull it off for them. I'm sure if you wanted a day for yourself she would understand. Good luck to you.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:46 AM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times
I absoluty agree that you should stay at your original hotel and have your sister and her kids visit with you at yours. I grew up in WI and took yearly trips to the Dells, and the hotel makes the trip! I think most of those big new places allow guests in the water parks and stuff, but they have to pay a small fee (you can even go to them without anyone staying at the hotel and spend the day just like the big waterparks like Noahs Ark).

Also, is it possible that your sister doesn't expect you to stay at the same hotel and was just letting you know that she couldn't afford your choice?

Yes, you invited her, but you invited her on your vacation, not for her to change your entire trip so it really won't be enjoyable for your family. If she's sensible, she won't have a problem staying at two different hotels (especially if you weren't going to share a room anyways) and will actually enjoy the perks of you staying at one of those nice huge ones with the awesome waterparks

Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
ditto the previous responses. Stay at your hotel, and invite sis and the kids over. Probably on day 1, once her kids see what your hotel has, they will be screaming to go to your hotel every day. Perhaps there are things outside of the hotels both families can enjoy together. I understand that you want to have a good vacation and relax, but time spent with family having fun has its own rewards. This is a great opportunity for your kids to get closer with their cousins.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
If your sister made reservations through a telemarketing outfit, the odds are good that she will be spending a few hours at a timeshare presentation. That was her choice, not yours. You'll still get to see eachother, just not every waking moment of your vacation. If everyone makes the best of it, a great time should be had by all! Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel