U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:27 PM

550 posts, read 1,373,950 times

Advertisements

Looking at the bigger picture here, I'm trying to understand WHY so many parents travel with their kids? I'm mean really.....it's very expensive and most kids are not that well behaved (though there are exceptions.) Okay, the parents have to haul them to grandma's house, then to granny's house in order to visit all the grandparents.....but it's all the time now, not just around the holidays. Can't they leave them with a trusted relative or friend any longer and take an adult trip?

On cruise message boards, many future passengers will ask what to expect while they bring little Johnny/Susie along, a child who is all of two months old, or at the very least--an age that surely cannot appreciate the experience. Are these parents just afraid, co-dependent or what? I just don't understand why in the world the parents wouldn't want some adult time away from the kids in order to brush up on their adult conversational skills!

Maybe it's just me....but I really don't undertand and I'm not trying to be mean here because - sheesh -- I just don't get it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:21 PM

15,475 posts, read 26,955,621 times
What I don't understand are the number of people who bring a newborn on a flight. There is no way that I would expose a newborn to all the germs in an airport as well as all the stale air in the plane.

Personally, I would send tickets to grandma and grandpa and have THEM do the flying.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:16 PM

16,023 posts, read 24,591,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Looking at the bigger picture here, I'm trying to understand WHY so many parents travel with their kids? I'm mean really.....it's very expensive and most kids are not that well behaved (though there are exceptions.) Okay, the parents have to haul them to grandma's house, then to granny's house in order to visit all the grandparents.....but it's all the time now, not just around the holidays. Can't they leave them with a trusted relative or friend any longer and take an adult trip?

On cruise message boards, many future passengers will ask what to expect while they bring little Johnny/Susie along, a child who is all of two months old, or at the very least--an age that surely cannot appreciate the experience. Are these parents just afraid, co-dependent or what? I just don't understand why in the world the parents wouldn't want some adult time away from the kids in order to brush up on their adult conversational skills!

Maybe it's just me....but I really don't undertand and I'm not trying to be mean here because - sheesh -- I just don't get it.
Because families have every right to fly and enjoy a vacation just like you do. Because I like to visit my relatives across the country not during the holidays when things are crazy. Because I want my kids to have some great memories of vacation. Because I love spending time with my kids. Seriously, until you have children you need to get a grip.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,271,964 times
I have kids and I "get" what you mean. I absolutely needed adult time away from my kids and they probably loved being away from hubby and I. It taught them more, I think, in the long run. They learned we would come back, that we needed and took adult time away--no kids allowed, it taught them to become more self-reliant and less clingy. Of course they were always left with someone they knew very well and loved; either a family member or family friend.
Kids on cruises??? Outrageous! I don't even understand the whole Disney cruise concept. I've always thought of cruises as being a very adult thing.
But.hey--that is just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post

Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,271,964 times
OMG-I know.........blows my mind!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What I don't understand are the number of people who bring a newborn on a flight. There is no way that I would expose a newborn to all the germs in an airport as well as all the stale air in the plane.

Personally, I would send tickets to grandma and grandpa and have THEM do the flying.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:35 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,828,956 times
I take my kids on vacation anywhere in the world we want to go and can afford to. That is why. I'd much rather fly w/ my behaved children that know how to go thru security PROPERLY, board a plane at their DESIGNATED TIME and do NOT block the gate from others that are called, get seated quickly and out of the aisle, obey the flight attendants and pilots instructions to the "t"..... again, I would MUCH RATHER be w/ my kids traveling than some of the more "mature" adults that act like a bunch of "I'm more important than anyone else" and do not do what they are supposed to nor have any courtesy whatsoever for their fellow travelers. I also take my kids across the globe on "family vacations" because we live right by the grandparents and they can see them any day of the week they want. So 3 or so times a year we fly somewhere. Then at least once a year we DO get away for "adult time" be it somewhere out of town or the kids are w/ their grandparents and we have the house alone. Get plenty of "adult time" here at our house.

I'd also rather fly with my kids for a week long trip across the country than spend a good portion of it DRIVING to the destination to only have to turn around and head back. Flying opens up a lot of doors for us to experience as a FAMILY! It also teaches my kids how to behave in public just like going out to eat, again something MANY adults fail miserably on. My kids are not the drunk beligerent jerk that is demanding a seat upgrade on an overbooked flight. My kids are not the "too good to be here" business person that takes up a seat and a half just because he THINKS he deserves it and I'm invisible and that I'd like his elbow in my face. My kids are not the ones cusing and carrying on a flight saying things that are totally inappropriate and crude loud enough for everyone sitting at least 15 rows around could hear (yes, I complained to the flight attendant but she wasn't much help as she was PART OF THE PROBLEM by actually ENCOURAGING THEIR BEHAVIOR and feeding them 2 drinks at at time ). I've also flown MANY MANY times w/out my children and seen plenty of grown adults act worse than most children.

Besides, next time you DO see someone traveling w/ children and small infants................ realize they COULD be headed to the side of an ailing parent or even worse. They might not have a choice. I've known too many friends that have had to do just such w/ kids in tow and all. If mom or dad seem totally oblivious and look tired......... take the time to ask and see if there is something YOU can do as they might just need it.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 AM

16,023 posts, read 24,591,462 times
It would be great if the airlines would have adult only flights, but they don't. So instead of complaining, come prepared, wear an iPod! Most of the time I fly there is a child on the flight that is acting up. To say "Why don't parents control their children" is ludicrous. I am the majority of parents are doing everything they can to prevent their child from screaming, crying, whatever. There is only so much you can do in a small space. And I promise you 95% of the parents are 10 times more stressed than you are!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:39 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,611,151 times
Kids on flights drive me nuts... and I admit, all kids are not terrible. Some are just freaking bored...just as bored as we are, I'm sure

I used to just scowl at the kids and the parents when things happen (especially the seat-kickers!) but I've found the best remedy is to actually ask the kid to stop what he's doing. Scowling just pisses people off and is more likely to get you scowled at right back and doesn't really fix the problem because it incites defensiveness. A simple stern "can you please stop that?" usually works. Kids seem to react much better to annoyance from adults that they don't know (when they're old enough to understand what they're doing).

Last edited by tabbcat; 01-26-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-26-2009, 01:29 PM

4,639 posts, read 23,423,956 times
veuvegirl - maybe you missed this part in my original post. I did have my i-pod in and on - he was louder than the music.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:32 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,828,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
veuvegirl - maybe you missed this part in my original post. I did have my i-pod in and on - he was louder than the music.
Kids are not the only ones that are LOUD! I was at gymnastics the other night for my daughter. Sitting in the bleachers on one end of them in this LOUD gym, lots of just clutter noise (kind of like an airplane). Got my Ipod out and started listening to some Sammy Hagar (loud rock no matter how you slice it ). All of a sudden I hear this LOUD conversation, wth? I look and this woman had come in and sat on the OPPOSITE end of the bleachers w/ her bluetooth earpiece in and talking up a storm. I heard EVERY WORD of her conversation . This woman was talking SO LOUD she would not have heard the fire alarms go off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel