U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,255,274 times

Advertisements

gymnasium vs. cabin on plane? No comparison-sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Kids are not the only ones that are LOUD! I was at gymnastics the other night for my daughter. Sitting in the bleachers on one end of them in this LOUD gym, lots of just clutter noise (kind of like an airplane). Got my Ipod out and started listening to some Sammy Hagar (loud rock no matter how you slice it ). All of a sudden I hear this LOUD conversation, wth? I look and this woman had come in and sat on the OPPOSITE end of the bleachers w/ her bluetooth earpiece in and talking up a storm. I heard EVERY WORD of her conversation . This woman was talking SO LOUD she would not have heard the fire alarms go off
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:12 PM

406 posts, read 1,488,685 times
ah, but you bring up another great annoyance that will be hitting us shortly - the cellphones on the plane. It's bad enough now when they can only use them before the doors close! I'm eagerly awaiting those posts.

I understand the annoyance about kids - I've been trapped on a plane with a child kicking my seat for the entire trip ... and I've been on planes with spawns of the devil... which is an apt phrase, as I blame the parents for not doing something. I've also been on planes where the children were well-behaved and polite, so it's a toss-up. I have to admit I've met more adult jerks though...

I myself am a guilty traveler, however, as I brought my cat on an overseas flight, and even sedated, she quietly meowed quite a bit. Luckily, she could only be heard by the unfortunate man right in front of me, who apparently was denied an upgrade to escape us lowlifes in Economy Class. I was sympathetic until I offered to let him use my noise canceling headsets, which he refused. At that point, my sympathy was gone.

As one poster mentioned, they have every right to travel with their children - for any reason - but other passengers have the right to not be pulling food out of their hair, too. (and I thank goodness for my headsets and iPod!)

Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM

16,022 posts, read 24,543,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
veuvegirl - maybe you missed this part in my original post. I did have my i-pod in and on - he was louder than the music.

I did, my apologies!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM

12,846 posts, read 19,073,589 times
Hmmm...we live in a society often characterized by such behaviors as "adults" using cell phones at funerals and people driving like complete, reckless lunatics.

I agree that parents should do their best to control kids in planes. However, an infant or a toddler is not exactly the best example of a rational being. And considering the behavior I witness at airports and on airplanes by grown adults, perhaps some of you should take a look in the mirror. Or at least lighten up a bit.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 PM

2,237 posts, read 8,445,889 times
My daughter is 2 and has flown 14 times going to WA, CA, CO, NY, FL, PA, OH & NC from TX. She has never once ever cried or got out of her seat other than to stand on the floor in front of it.

The key is to have PLENTY of activities...coloring books, books, videos, etc. Since she started walking, we also hike through the airport the entire time prior to boarding to get out excess energy.

She behaves better than most adults.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:52 PM

280 posts, read 1,080,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
veuvegirl - maybe you missed this part in my original post. I did have my i-pod in and on - he was louder than the music.
Sounds like it was the dad who was the problem and not the kids.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 PM

16,022 posts, read 24,543,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
My daughter is 2 and has flown 14 times going to WA, CA, CO, NY, FL, PA, OH & NC from TX. She has never once ever cried or got out of her seat other than to stand on the floor in front of it.

The key is to have PLENTY of activities...coloring books, books, videos, etc. Since she started walking, we also hike through the airport the entire time prior to boarding to get out excess energy.

She behaves better than most adults.
Oh I am SO jealous! I had the flight from hell when my son was 14 months old. We were flying to Denver, and my son cried non stop, fussed, screamed and kicked. We brought tons of things for him to do, snacks, everything and anything. He just couldn't be satisfied. I felt HORRIBLE. We got off the plane, and I told my parents we were going to have to move to CO as I would never fly again!!

Old 01-27-2009, 01:56 PM

2,959 posts, read 5,799,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
I can't stand kids on planes. They are such a nuisance!
The same goes for some so-called "adults"

Old 01-28-2009, 05:17 PM

718 posts, read 2,236,680 times
My kids love flying and have done it most of their young lives. I can admit, when they were infants, praying the night before and all the way to the airport the "good" child would show up that day, not the screaming infant. At ages 5 and 3 they flew without incident from Nashville to New Zealand and back, behaving perhaps better than my husband.

Just last year, they were 7 and 5 and flew with me, alone, to visit daddy in Australia. On the way over, I made the mistake of selecting the seats right behind the "front" seats, where the parents put the bassinets on the long trips. The kids in the middle section and those in front of us cried non-stop, for 12 hours. When your child asks why the other kids will not shut up, you know it is bad!

One last thing, as they have gotten older, I make them make their own apologies. My son who is 6 and a little ADHD, thinks twice about kicking the seat in front of him again, after he has to tell them he is sorry for doing it already. I have yet to meet a parent who wants to hear their kid scream the entire trip, but unfortunately, sometimes it is not up to them.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:05 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,775,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
When your child asks why the other kids will not shut up, you know it is bad!

One last thing, as they have gotten older, I make them make their own apologies. My son who is 6 and a little ADHD, thinks twice about kicking the seat in front of him again, after he has to tell them he is sorry for doing it already. I have yet to meet a parent who wants to hear their kid scream the entire trip, but unfortunately, sometimes it is not up to them.

LOL!!! Sounds like my kids. It is funny to see my own kids sit jaw dropped and stunned by how other kids behave and better yet........... the complete "lala land" totally unobservent parents behavior. I'm not talking just airplanes but doctors offices waiting rooms (this tends to be a BIG offense for some reason) and yes, even airplanes and airports. Even my own kids recognize a parent that IS trying their best and does get onto their kids for being totally brats or just childish misbehaving from those that are completely oblivious.

I do the same thing. I'll jerk a knot in them if they don't.

BTW, booked our flights for Spring Break today. WOO-HOO!!! 2 more kiddo's flying during that time Not to mention the other families kiddo's we are going with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel