Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:48 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's the deal. My family and I have begun going on vacation to the Dells, Wisconsin every year (to the waterpark hotels). When we go we hang out at the hotel and don't do the touristy things as it's just cheesy and a waste of money. Plus my kids love the waterslides...okay, I do too (I'm there 'til they close).

Anyway here is my dilemma. I invited my sister and her kids to meet us there. She lives in a different state and it's quite a long drive. She's a single mom so this is a big deal for her. When we first agreed on this vacation I thought it was decided on the hotel we normally stay at. Recently I was informed that the hotel was too expensive and they needed to go elsewhere. I am completely fine with that as I understand her financial situation. However now I'm in a pickle. Do I stay at the cheap hotel she is staying at and do the cheesy things in the Dells, or stay at our normal hotel and hang out with them for meals and maybe a day in the town? I really want to respect her situation and we only see each other maybe once a year, if that...but we talk on the phone and email all the time.

I feel that if I don't stay at the hotel they are staying at then I'm being a jerk and insensitive. I've thought about bailing on the entire idea and just saying we can't make it. But she's brought up how excited they all are. To add just a little background, the kid's dad doesn't speak to them, doesn't send Christmas or birthday gifts etc. He hasn't been sending child support for close to six months so my sister has had to work two jobs and move twice just to make ends meet. Thus, he's a dirtbag IMHO and biased of course.

All input whether positive or negative (calling me a dirtbag too is ok) is appreciated.

-Hoosier_guy (formerly Hoosier67)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 09:05 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
You can't let your sister dictate your vacation plans. Is it possible for her to stay at the cheaper hotel and then drive over to yours to visit? Just remember, it's your vacation too!

I've been in similiar situations where you're vacationing with friends and all of a sudden, they can't afford to stay at the "nice" hotel and switch to a Days Inn or something. It's annoying but I figure that since it's MY vacation, I'm going to do what I want to do. Usually they just drove over to our hotel and visited.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:23 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Would it be possible to subsidize her stay at the nicer place? Or explain to her that your family looks forward to staying there each year and you save money by avoiding the touristy things, so maybe the nicer place is more affordable than she thinks.

It's nice to be in the same place, because you can spend downtime together in the evening while the kids swim in the pool or watch tv together. But I would rather stay in a nicer place, too. It wouldn't be like a vacation otherwise.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:30 PM

hereinfla, she got this strange deal through some telemarketing firm. She paid with her credit card on the phone and is locked into this deal. I told her we could share a condo or suite so as to save money. If I could afford to pay for them, I would absolutely love it!! And yeah I do agree about downtime...that is part of my reasoning for staying at the same hotel.

And I do agree with Speedy in that I feel like I'm losing out on my vacation and my kids will be disappointed...but real troopers at the same time (understanding). But they shouldn't have to. BTW, whenever I see your name SpeedyAZ I think of Speedy Gonzalez the fastest mouse in all of Mexico (add the accent). One of my favorite old cartoons.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
You mentioned that you go almost every year and you've also mentioned that this is a very special time for your sister because she can't get there as often as you can.

I'd say, give her a treat and do it her way this time. you can always look forward to next year and who knows, you might have fun. But remember, with family you have to give a little.

Suck it up, be a trooper, grit your teeth if need be, but enjoy. Maybe once you get there you can kind of sway the daily activities over to doing the things you and your family like to do. Maybe even switch off. Her choice one day, your choice the next.

Enjoy. Life is too short to not enjoy with family.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:11 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I'm not really sure that I understand the nature of your dilemma. You and your family are going to the same place that you go every year and your sister & her family, who you rarely see, are going to be in the same town at the same time. You say that this is going to be huge for your sister & her family.

Stay wherever you want. Hotels are for sleeping & showering. If your sister is staying somewhere else that just means that she will be sleeping & showering in a different building. Were you planning on sleeping or showering with your sister?

Why do you feel like you are missing out on something? Sounds to me like you will have the added benefit of some quality time with your sister while you enjoy your vacation.

I can't think of a single one of my relatives that I would want to spend every waking minute of my vacation with.

Don't sweat the small stuff. For me, this sounds like the small stuff.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Well evidently someone here loves the Days Inn. I just recieved a negative rep for saying
Quote:
they can't afford to stay at the "nice" hotel and switch to a Days Inn or something.
And the person wasn't even decent enough to leave there username. To whoever it was- I was merely stating that it was inconvienent for a person to suddenly switch to a different hotel instead of staying where everyone else was at. It had nothing to do with the Days Inn in general, wanted to clear up whatever confusion there was. Here's the comment that I received:

You are such a snob! What is wrong with Days Inn?

Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Well evidently someone here loves the Days Inn. I just recieved a negative rep for saying
And the person wasn't even decent enough to leave there username. To whoever it was- I was merely stating that it was inconvienent for a person to suddenly switch to a different hotel instead of staying where everyone else was at. It had nothing to do with the Days Inn in general, wanted to clear up whatever confusion there was. Here's the comment that I received:

You are such a snob! What is wrong with Days Inn?
I agree with Evey. Hotels, motels...I don't care where I stay as long as the place is clean, quiet and has no bedbugs. You're going to spend your days together. Let her do what she needs to do and you do what you want to do. The hotel isn't the main feature of the vacation!
And Speedy, that person abused the rep. system. Forward a copy/paste to markablue and she'll not only remove it, she'll penalize the offender.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I'm not really sure that I understand the nature of your dilemma. You and your family are going to the same place that you go every year and your sister & her family, who you rarely see, are going to be in the same town at the same time. You say that this is going to be huge for your sister & her family.

Stay wherever you want. Hotels are for sleeping & showering. If your sister is staying somewhere else that just means that she will be sleeping & showering in a different building. Were you planning on sleeping or showering with your sister?

Why do you feel like you are missing out on something? Sounds to me like you will have the added benefit of some quality time with your sister while you enjoy your vacation.

I can't think of a single one of my relatives that I would want to spend every waking minute of my vacation with.

Don't sweat the small stuff. For me, this sounds like the small stuff.

See here's the deal. Actually the hotel is the focal point of the trip. These hotels selling points are that they have massive waterparks in them. They are absouletly amazing! It's so much fun and you don't even have to leave the hotel premises. Between a couple of pools, 8 to 10 huge waterslides, wave pool, 2 kid's areas and there are lots of fun activities for kids and adults. Each hotel has it's own waterpark...this is how they compete with one another. They're super spendy because of the sweet amenities they offer.

The hotel she is staying at is your run of the mill hotel with a pool and few small waterslides (I've seen their site and read reviews). And it's a Howard Johnson. It's not about the hotel brand, it's about what it has to offer.

I do appreciate Evey and MoMarks input...along with everyone else. Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion!! It's appreciated and well received.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
See here's the deal. Actually the hotel is the focal point of the trip. These hotels selling points are that they have massive waterparks in them. They are absouletly amazing! It's so much fun and you don't even have to leave the hotel premises. Between a couple of pools, 8 to 10 huge waterslides, wave pool, 2 kid's areas and there are lots of fun activities for kids and adults. Each hotel has it's own waterpark...this is how they compete with one another. They're super spendy because of the sweet amenities they offer.

The hotel she is staying at is your run of the mill hotel with a pool and few small waterslides (I've seen their site and read reviews). And it's a Howard Johnson. It's not about the hotel brand, it's about what it has to offer.

I do appreciate Evey and MoMarks input...along with everyone else. Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion!! It's appreciated and well received.
Simple then. Invite her and her kids over to play in your hotel's waterpark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel