Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 AM

96 posts, read 323,484 times

Advertisements

With the current economy, we are trying to be even more careful with our travel $$$. I was wondering if you could share a place you have been that, in your opinion, is a must see.

Last edited by AlohaMarie; 02-06-2009 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: syntax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
If price is a big consideration yet you want something out of the ordinary, Poland is a good choice. Once you get to Poland it is very inexpensive, the people are so nice and there are some really fascinating things to see and do. I highly recommend going to the Salt Mines (an underground city built entirely out of salt...amazing!) and of course, the concentration camp Auchuwitz...astoundingly well preserved and the guides are extremely knowledgeable.

Food and hotels in Poland are an incredible bargain.

You might also find Morocco an interesting place to visit. It is exotic, colorful and very inexpensive. The guides there are very fluent in English and they take you to the most interesting places. Ours even took us to see a cobra charmer! Fascinating.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I'd wanted to get to Poland before the join the European Union, but my son says it's still pretty cheap there; he visited for the first time over New Year's.
We were going to try to visit Morocco this spring, but I just don't think we can pull it off. It will be all we can do just to get to France.

A bucket list is awfully personal.
Some of the places that I especially appreciated might not appeal to anyone else.

A couple ideas:

I was amazed and impressed by Hawaii; it was well worth it to make our way over there, especially for Volcanoes National Park. Nothing like hot lava dripping into the ocean for an unforgettable sight. In addition to the natural beauty, Hawaii's history and culture were fascinating, as well.

The Freedom Trail in Boston is a must-see. I've only done it once, but would like to do it again. If you can afford it, go in the summertime, and combine this trip with a jaunt to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,806 times
We have been to a lot of places that are a must see, in my opinion. But, if I had to pick one, I would say the Cinque Terre in Italy. We just spent four nights there in October (my profile picture is in Vernazza, one of the towns). For sure you have to walk the trails linking the five towns. Here's a link about what first time visitors should do.

Cinque Terre: First-time Visitors - TripAdvisor

Here's a link for a travel guide:

Cinque Terre travel guide - Wikitravel

And finally, here's a link to my photo album of our trip (includes Lake Como/Cinque Terre/Tuscany/Venice (just hit slideshow to view):

Picasa Web Albums - RickMG - Italy - Oct. ...

Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Travel wise I've seen and done stuff already that would fill a few lifetimes. So here is my subjective bucket list I would recommend to everyone for a well rounded generic agenda of travel, with alternative choices, during your life:

See animals in their natural habitat - go to Central or South Africa. Take a safari, or, better yet, go on your own (possible in S. Africa). You will never go to a zoo again.

Learn about ancient ruins - Best is in Rome and nearby Pompeii. Roman ruins are all over Europe, but you can't beat Rome. Runner up is Athens and Egypt.

Experience the wide open expanse of unspoiled unpopulated nature - From all my travels, only the U.S. west fills this need. My favorite area is the upper plains from the badlands to Glacier National Park and down to Yellowstone. 2nd favorite is the strip from the 4 corners to Grand Canyon. But you can experience this anywhere in the west.

Learn about the mystic eastern religions - Nepal is best, where you can see 1,000 year old bhuddist temples. Second is the Hindu island of Bali.

Watch the world go by in a european street cafe - Any cafe in any western European town will fit this description. But choose wisely, many are spoiled by tourists. My choice would be Seinna, Italy or Lisbon, Portugal.

Visit one of the great museams of the world - Florence Italy Uffizi would be the main choice. If you can't make it there then chose The Louvre in Paris. Both cities of course have additional benefits.

Visit the capital of your nation. Washington D.C. is a must, and most of the sites are free.

Go to the best beach in the world and just zone out - My 2nd choice is Maui big beach. My 1st choice I keep to myself, no one knows about it.

Experience one mountain vacation (no not to ski, for reasons I won't get into a sking vacation is not what I would call travel) - an excellent cheap choice is the mountains of Colorado, California, or Utah. an excellent expensive vacation is the mountains of Switzerland.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:55 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
I consider Quebec City, Canada to be an affordable must see. It's cheap (as long as the U.S. dollar is doing well against the Canadian dollar), and simply stunning. There's a lot to see and do in the area and it's a culture like no other.

A couple of shots from our most recent trip in October:

These pictures don't do it justice. It's a must see.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
One thing to remember about places that are "spoiled by tourists."
The tourists are there for a reason. That is why those places might be on their bucket lists.
The other thing to remember:
We are ALL tourists.
The cool thing to do is to remember the Golden Rule and act accordingly.
If you are respectful and kind, karma will probably go well with you on your journey.
The other cool thing to do is to find your own special place that few people know about.
It's probably not going to be listed on a messageboard, but you never know.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM

128 posts, read 362,596 times
In the U.S., it has to be the Grand Canyon.

One of the most memorable moments of my life: My wife had never been to the Grand Canyon (even though she's traveled widely), so I blind folded her and walked her to the edge of the canyon, and then revealed the view. It's so incredibly beautiful and vast, that we both shed a tear at that point.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:06 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
Yosemite National Park.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,732 times
Montenegro, in Europe is a beautiful place.

I hope to explore more in the future. I mostly stuck around the coastal cities though.

Here's a picture of a sunset in Bar I took this July. I'll post the link, because it is a pretty big picture:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/DSCN1021.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel