Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times

Advertisements

I was in London recently and clicked this pic in the food dept. at Harrods, quite a bargain for each prawn? or do you think it's the cost for the set of 6 prawns??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times
I think it's for each single prawn. Must be tasty! I thought Harrod's didn't allow photographs taken in their store? I haven't been there in a while so maybe that rule was a long time ago.
My husband and I ate at Harrod's sushi bar one time and it was fabulous. We had a great time!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:50 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,711 times
I would say it's for one as the tag says 'each' and there are seven in the picture. What the heck is a prawn? I'm guessing shrimp.

I took this picture inside Harrah's back in '99 but never thought of taking others.
Attached Thumbnails
cost of a prawn Tempura at Harrods, London-mvc-150f.jpg  

Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
A prawn is a shrimp and the price of the shrimp is approximately $6 at the current exchange rate.

Harrod's is CRAZY expensive. When we were there is 1997, half a pastrami sandwich was well over US$10.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Harrod's has really nice restrooms.
heh
I pay less than $6 for an entire pound of shrimp.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Harrods isn't exactly known for its low prices though to be fair ! I personally much prefer Fortnum and Mason, much, much classier . Harrods is a bit "bling" for my tastes though its food hall is absolutely superb.

I can buy 500gms of King Prawns in my local posh supermarket Waitrose for about $ 10/12 considering we are about as far from the sea as we can get in the UK . Not exactly as cheap as BWP but not too bad.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM

72 posts, read 290,139 times
I had a nice prawn and dill sandwhich there back in October and it was only around 6 pounds.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:14 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Harrods isn't exactly known for its low prices though to be fair ! I personally much prefer Fortnum and Mason, much, much classier . Harrods is a bit "bling" for my tastes though its food hall is absolutely superb.

I can buy 500gms of King Prawns in my local posh supermarket Waitrose for about $ 10/12 considering we are about as far from the sea as we can get in the UK . Not exactly as cheap as BWP but not too bad.
It's a shame we live on an Island and have to pay so much for our sea food. I have easy access to Billingsgate Market so I'm able to get stuff a little cheaper but nowhere as reasonable as in the US. You are right Fortum and Mason is much classier.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
It's a shame we live on an Island and have to pay so much for our sea food. I have easy access to Billingsgate Market so I'm able to get stuff a little cheaper but nowhere as reasonable as in the US. You are right Fortum and Mason is much classier.

I completely agree. I am French but have lived in the UK for over 20 years now and it amazes me that Britain which has some of the best seafood in the world just does not seem to appreciate it a great deal. It is expensive but I also feel most people just do not want to eat it.

It seems the average person only like fish or seafood if it is battered within an inch of its life and really fatty.

I lived in Scotland for almost 5 years and found out to my utter amazement speaking to fishermen that most of the scallops, crab, king prawns, mussels etc... end up on French, Italian and Spanish tables where seafood is a so much better appreciated. Scottish seafood is second to none. I could live on Scottish crab, mussels and scallops for years and die a happy woman !

Most people I know would not touch seafood with a barge pole ( though most have never tried it). I have been amazed how many people won't even have fish unless it is "fish and chips".

And it is not just the seafood. Britain produces some truly fantastic produce, which seems to end up mostly in fancy restaurants. Such a shame.

We need to make it not only cheaper but also simply more appreciated.

You are really lucky to live near Billingsgate, it must be heaven !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel