Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:42 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,450 times

Advertisements

A much bigger deal for me was being a kid and for the first time walking through the tunnel to Yankee Stadium for a night game where the bright lights and manicured field with grasss more green than any you've ever seen before greet you along with an enthusiastic crowd. I'm talking circa 1977
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are lots of people like that. I would say that probably 50% of the people in places like Kansas and Nebraska have never been to either coast. I knew many people in the 50s that have never really been much outside the state- or if they have they just went to Kansas City Missouri or Dallas.
Until I moved to Washington when I was ten (raised in Kansas and Colorado), I had never seen the ocean. The first sight of it was a thing of awe that has never left me.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
What % of americans have never been to the beach?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
I was talking with a co-worker who lived in Newark nj his whole life and never been down the Jersey shore and he was 30yrs old. Being 20 at the time myself I could not even begin to understand that but sad to say for those living in inner cities that never owned a car staying very close to home is not that unusual.
How is this humanly possible unless he had no interest in anything?! Aren't there buses going to the beach? Didn't he have family or friends to take him there ONCE?!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
How is this humanly possible unless he had no interest in anything?! Aren't there buses going to the beach? Didn't he have family or friends to take him there ONCE?!

Well that's just the reality for some inner city people as evidenced by the story in the newspaper mentioned by a previous poster (see post #11)

Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Well that's just the reality for some inner city people as evidenced by the story in the newspaper mentioned by a previous poster (see post #11)
That's not the same. I was talking about this situation:

Quote:
I was talking with a co-worker who lived in Newark nj his whole life and never been down the Jersey shore and he was 30yrs old.
I can't imagine what stops him... He's 30, he works, he makes money. He has to be one hell of a boring person to not be interested in seeing the shore right next to his lazy rear end!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's not the same. I was talking about this situation:

I can't imagine what stops him... He's 30, he works, he makes money. He has to be one hell of a boring person to not be interested in seeing the shore right next to his lazy rear end!

Well he had no car and worked in a warehouse in port elizabeth for low pay and another factor could be that most beaches in jersey are inhabited by light skin people.
Believe it or not a lot of African-American people just as soon not go somewhere where 99.9% of people are white just like most white people don't make it a habit to go visit museums and such in Newark.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Well he had no car and worked in a warehouse in port elizabeth for low pay and another factor could be that most beaches in jersey are inhabited by light skin people.
Believe it or not a lot of African-American people just as soon not go somewhere where 99.9% of people are white just like most white people don't make it a habit to go visit museums and such in Newark.
OK. These are different and personal reasons and I'm not familiar with the region, so I can’t comment on that. I know there are neighborhoods I don't want to go to myself.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:35 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times
I've seen the Pacific and the Atlantic. I've seen the Gulf of Mexico. I've seen the Caribbean Sea.

Honestly, none of it has impressed me to the same extent of some of the mountains in my home state, Arizona. Even standing on a beach on a private Island, where the water was nearly crystal clear.

People never seeing the ocean? Maybe they just prefer earth and leaf to water.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
People never seeing the ocean? Maybe they just prefer earth and leaf to water.
One can't have a preference without a point of reference. That's called ignorance and yes, it is bliss.

Hmm, on second thought, that makes heterosexuality ignorant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel