Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

A British Airways passenger travelling first class has described how he woke up on a long-haul flight to find that cabin crew had placed a corpse in his row.

The body of a woman in her seventies, who died after the plane left Delhi for Heathrow, was carried by cabin staff from economy to first class, where there was more space. Her body was propped up in a seat, using pillows.

The woman’s daughter accompanied the corpse, and spent the rest of the journey wailing in grief.

Paul Trinder, who awoke to see the body at the end of his row, last week described the journey as “deeply disturbing”, and complained that the airline dismissed his concerns by telling him to “get over it”.

“It was a complete mess — they seemed to have no proper plans in place to deal with the situation,” said Trinder, 54, a businessman from Brackley, Northamptonshire.

The woman died during a nine-hour flight on a Boeing 747. Trinder was catching up on sleep when he was woken by a commotion and opened his eyes to see staff manueuvering the body into a seat.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259500,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A British Airways passenger travelling first class has described how he woke up on a long-haul flight to find that cabin crew had placed a corpse in his row.

The body of a woman in her seventies, who died after the plane left Delhi for Heathrow, was carried by cabin staff from economy to first class, where there was more space. Her body was propped up in a seat, using pillows.

Former airline agent here, some people will do anything for an upgrade!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
I would have completely freaked! Eight to 10 hours on a plane is bad enough for me, but with a dead body sitting in the aisle opposite! OMG

Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
Well John, you are absolutely correct. This is weird news...

Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,937,269 times
Default yuck

let's take this a step further, imagine the bodily fluids that excreted from the body.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:42 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
let's take this a step further, imagine the bodily fluids that excreted from the body.
Lets not imagine!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
Too late. Already imagined.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:31 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Wow, that's horrible, but I have to add in regards to the passengers complaining, what exactly were they SUPPOSED to do? They don't anticipate people dying on flights so it's not like they have body bags on hand or a mortuary in the back. Space is tight on flights. Maybe they could've emptied out an entire row or little section by moving some people to empty seats in first class, assuming there were some, but all things considered, I think they handled such an unexpected situation, pretty well.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
I doubt this is the first time this sort of thing has happened, so why don't the airlines, (all of them), come up with a contingency plan? I can tell you right now, that if they thought they had a problem with what to do with the deceased lady, they would have had an even bigger problem of what to do with the very upset LIVE lady, had they tried to place a corpse close to me. Being in a tightly confined space is bad enough, (which is why I avoid flying, if at all possible. Not to mention that I get headaches, everytime I fly ), but this is nonsense! Particularly, with the prices they charge for people to have the "privilege" of flying in their tin cans with wings.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
I would have blown my stack had they set a dead woman in first class next to me. However...how the heck do you deal with a person who dies after the plane takes off? From what I read, they tried to keep her in her original seat, but she kept sliding to the floor even with the seatbelt on.
I wonder if the dead woman had a tough time in customs once the aircraft reached England...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel