Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Warning to those who plan to go on spring break or vacations to Cancun. There's a drug war in Mexico, you should be concerned about crime and your safety.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:56 PM

311 posts, read 694,033 times

Advertisements

US may warn off spring breakers to mexico. World news cha 11 said the drug war is so bad it could collapse the mexican gov. LOL 90% of the guns come from the US.Most coming from gun shows that have less regulation than mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:41 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Some of the Delaware colleges have already issued the warning. I think the students have been told to beware of the border towns.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
Here in San Diego, the trippers to TJ/Rosarito have dropped off big time, and TJ's tourism is in shambles. All the SoCal colleges have let it be known that TJ is NOT the place to be right now, and apparently the word has been heeded.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,221 times
Mostly only the border towns are affected though. Places like PV, Cabo, Cancun are all fine...I would not hesitate to jump on a plane and head for Mexico.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
Mostly only the border towns are affected though. Places like PV, Cabo, Cancun are all fine...I would not hesitate to jump on a plane and head for Mexico.

LOL....I am on May 2nd....to Cabo

Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
LOL....I am on May 2nd....to Cabo
I don't like you

I LOVE CABO!!!! I'm waiting till my youngest is graduating from high school and I've already told my family at that time they will find me in Cabo - LIVING!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,221 times
I'm heading to cabo in may as as well!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I don't like you

I LOVE CABO!!!! I'm waiting till my youngest is graduating from high school and I've already told my family at that time they will find me in Cabo - LIVING!

First time..we've always wanted to go..asked hubbie if he wanted Cabo or Aruba & he picked Cabo as he wants to go sport fishing

Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
First time..we've always wanted to go..asked hubbie if he wanted Cabo or Aruba & he picked Cabo as he wants to go sport fishing
Been to both........... Cabo Aruba is nice but it ain't Cabo.

Where are you staying?

Here are some tips though:

Arriving at the airport: You will get off the plane out on the tarmac and if there are two exit doors and the airport has two stairs available they will use them . Getting thru customs isn't that bad in Cabo. The last thing you will do is push a button to see if the light turns red or green. Red you get to wait a minute while they go thru your bags and they are QUICK about it, green you go on your way.

NOW, once you get ready to exit the area from Customs where the red/green light is............ STOP! Don't go thru the frosted sliding glass doors just yet and into the "shark tank". Get out your dark sunglasses and put them on and have your plan ready. If your expecting to be picked up by a pre-arranged shuttle then you will exit from the "shark tank" to the right. If your on your own to get a shuttle you will exit the "shark tank" to the left. Now, the "shark tank" is what is waiting behind those frosted sliding glass doors. It is an area FULL of timeshare people wanting to get you to sign up for tours. Even the place your staying will have rep's in there - do NOT go to them for your shuttle - GO OUT THE DOORS to the RIGHT from the "shark tank" to get to your shuttle. Walk STRAIGHT THRU the "shark tank" with your sunglasses on and act like you know EXACTLY where you are going and what you are doing. Then they will most likely leave you alone and even if they TRY to talk to you and they will......... with the dark sunglasses on you won't be making eye contact and can ignore them. If your needing to get your own shuttle you will exit from the "shark tank" to the left and this is where you will find the bathrooms and the duty free shops and some eating places. Once out of the powder room you can procede to the doors down to your right and outside and there will be a TON of shuttle vans and the guys hawking them. BARTER!!!! It is usually about $15-18 Per Person one-way to a hotel in the corridor or up in Cabo. Now, if your staying up in Cabo and not in San Jose where the airport is........ you will want to have gone and used that powder room Some of the guys that drive the shuttles have a cooler w/ some beer in it they will offer you (free). It is about a 45 minute drive from San Jose to Cabo and then it depends on how many people they have to drop off at other properties before yours.

Good places to go eat:
La Palapa - YUM!!! In Cabo
Cabo Wabo - Sammy Hagar's place. GREAT FOOD in the restaurant and a good bar w/ a great house band for late night entertainment. In Cabo.
La Dolce - Italian and VERY GOOD. In Cabo
Romeo & Juliet's - Italian and also very good. We went because the last time La Dolce was remodeling and closed. In Cabo
Desperado's - HOT and I mean KILLER HOT shrimp diablo. In Cabo
Zippers - On the beach in San Jose. Great burgers, ribs, etc. Really good food.

If your husband catches anything La Palapa will prepare it for you. They also have a lot of great fresh seafood options depending on what is coming in off the boats. Try the lobster rolls

For your return: If you forgot to buy your Cabo Wabo tequilla before you leave they have a store in the airport. BUT, you have to put it in your CHECKED BAGS. So don't check your bags if you need to buy some first. Once inside security..... the food options drop SIGNIFICANTLY! After you have checked in and checked your bags stay in the open area and get something to eat (Burger King, Subway, ice cream, etc). Inside the secured area the only place is a starbucks like coffee stand w/ premade sandwiches and muffins. Unless you stop at Zippers on your way to the airport and eat a good meal and don't need something before your flight. After your done eating and gotten your reading material from one of the shops in this area (they don't have that either on the other side) you can go thru security. You will notice most people don't go thru security till it is about 30-40 minutes before their plane is to depart so just watch the lines so you don't miss it (darn, that would be a shame ). Once in the secured area: Getting on the planes in Cabo.......... you can NOT take even bottled water onto the plane that you have purchased in the secure area. If you bought something at one of the duty free shops inside the secured area you will have a claim ticket and once thru the security to get on the plane you will get those items - yes, they go thru your carry-on bags at this point. No Cabo Wabo tequilla in the duty free shops though.

Riding ATV's and/or Dune Buggy's. I have not done this but hubby has. One time all of the guys went and did the ATV thing and had a BLAST! Take long pants, closed toed shoes, hat and a bandana (for your face) if you want to do this. They loved it and said riding in the sand dunes and along the beach was a blast. Some friends went recently and they did the dune buggy thing and even enjoyed that. There are also two places that do ziplines. I have not done them there but one person did and said it was a load of fun. As for the fishing........... going out on the boats is FUN!!! We didn't catch anything but we had a lot of fun (who says "fishing" isn't fun if your doing it on an 85' yacht ). Just be aware that the Pacific is rather rough in that area but the fishing is first rate. If you stay at one of the hotels on the Pacific side they don't even allow you to get into the water ankle deep. Anyone doing so will be thrown out practicially IF you don't get sucked under and washed away. This is why most people stay on the Sea of Cortez side. There are a few swimable beaches and the undertow is still VERY STRONG! Hold onto your suits (yes, they DO come off) and sunglasses/hats. You can take the glass bottom boats out to The Arch and that is fun but if you get the least bit seasick........ you will NOT want to do that. Man.......... I am so ready to head back to Cabo.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 AM

Momof2

Wowza good tips....well my son & dil are also coming and their budget is tighter then ours....much tighter...lol so we are doing AI at the Riu Santa Fe which I believe is all the way dam near to the arches.

I looked and Cabo does have Public transportation, used that a lot in Cancun with no problems...

Have no clue how far the marina is for the guys to fish or how they plan on getting there.
Between my DIL's work schedule, sons schedule I've had to change the dates 4x now that everyone is on the sme page I got on line the other night & booked and PIF because the only non stop flight out of NJ was filling up fast ao I can't make any changes now with out paying a penalty so if we are not in the best location we will just make the best out of it

Keep your tips coming even by DM if we start to bore people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel