U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM

13,153 posts, read 26,127,290 times

Advertisements

Continental..don't like where we are sitting...do they release the premium seats if the plane does not fill up..if not how do you upgrade to one...I'm all the way in the back..it will take an hour to deplane with people fumbling for their carry ons because they don't want to pay a baggage fee...( guess I can't blame them...imo 1st checked bag should be included in price of tix)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 AM

14,872 posts, read 39,050,817 times
If you did not pay for a First Class seat and are not a frequent flyer w/ millions of miles on Continental.............. they won't put you up there. You CAN get to the airport and ask if there are other seats available. Some airlines hold seats that can only be assigned at the airport. It is on a first come basis. The only way to upgrade to a "premium seat" that is in First Class is to pay for it or use your miles to do such.

Btw, I've sat at the very rear of the plane many times when that has been all that is available and it really doesn't take that long to deplane. Tops would be about 10 minutes.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If you did not pay for a First Class seat and are not a frequent flyer w/ millions of miles on Continental.............. they won't put you up there. You CAN get to the airport and ask if there are other seats available. Some airlines hold seats that can only be assigned at the airport. It is on a first come basis. The only way to upgrade to a "premium seat" that is in First Class is to pay for it or use your miles to do such.

Btw, I've sat at the very rear of the plane many times when that has been all that is available and it really doesn't take that long to deplane. Tops would be about 10 minutes.

No it's not first class seats..just normal coach seats in certain areas of the plane that they now call premium

Old 02-27-2009, 11:47 AM

2,955 posts, read 12,581,990 times
24 hours before the flight, you can check-in online. At this point you will be presented with the options of selecting seats. If there are no seats available, keep checking back and something may open. Seats do open and this will happen while you are on the page of the site.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
24 hours before the flight, you can check-in online. At this point you will be presented with the options of selecting seats. If there are no seats available, keep checking back and something may open. Seats do open and this will happen while you are on the page of the site.
Thanks!!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 PM

17,031 posts, read 28,270,349 times
The price you paid for the ticket and flier miles determine upgrades of seats.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,008,656 times
an hour to get off the plane?
Seriously, I doubt that. I've been on some pretty full flights and perhaps the longest it's taken is 20-25 minutes. Just sit in your seat and patiently wait.
Only time I get concerned is if I have a connecting flight; which is why I think the flight attendants should ask who has a connecting flight and instructing everyone else to remain seated while those passengers go.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
an hour to get off the plane?
Seriously, I doubt that. I've been on some pretty full flights and perhaps the longest it's taken is 20-25 minutes. Just sit in your seat and patiently wait.
Only time I get concerned is if I have a connecting flight; which is why I think the flight attendants should ask who has a connecting flight and instructing everyone else to remain seated while those passengers go.
I hear you but I seriously do not have any patience to have to sit & sit & sit while these boneheads who have stowed everything except the kitchen sink in the overheads gather stuff up..if they remember even where it is... they have no qualms about holding other people up because they don't want to wait for their luggage when they get off the plane...now that you have to pay for that first bag a fee of $15 and I think Continental charges $25 for 2nd bag it's even worse....

Old 03-03-2009, 12:54 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,008,656 times
oh. I totally "get" what you say about the carry-ons. I've only ever used an overhead twice and totally hated using it. The last couple of flights I've taken, I have seen people bring more luggage aboard than I ever checked. If they can get away with it-seems odd but ok. But it is an annoyance to others to wait while they find a place to stow every friggen thing they own that they brought. Then they have to haul everything they own that they brought off the plane
Anyway...........I suppose patience is a virtue when flying. It always tests my patience, but I bite my tongue and try......

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I hear you but I seriously do not have any patience to have to sit & sit & sit while these boneheads who have stowed everything except the kitchen sink in the overheads gather stuff up..if they remember even where it is... they have no qualms about holding other people up because they don't want to wait for their luggage when they get off the plane...now that you have to pay for that first bag a fee of $15 and I think Continental charges $25 for 2nd bag it's even worse....

Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
oh. I totally "get" what you say about the carry-ons. I've only ever used an overhead twice and totally hated using it. The last couple of flights I've taken, I have seen people bring more luggage aboard than I ever checked. If they can get away with it-seems odd but ok. But it is an annoyance to others to wait while they find a place to stow every friggen thing they own that they brought. Then they have to haul everything they own that they brought off the plane
Anyway...........I suppose patience is a virtue when flying. It always tests my patience, but I bite my tongue and try......
At one time I could call Continental and tell them I check everything and don't want to be stuck behind these boneheads and they would give me seats as close to the front as possible, now they are classifying these seats as premium...I'll have to find out how you book them as I don't care if it's going to cost extra $$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel