Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,334,114 times

Advertisements

While on vacation last week, we discovered a nail in our tire midway thru our trip. However, during the early part of the trip, we drove very little. We found this during our 4 hr drive from 1 city to another. Stopped at a tire place and they determined the tire could not be repaired, put on the donut and we drove to the closest airport to swap cars. I really think this nail was in there already because the nail head was already worn off. Dollar roadside assistance said she would note this in the record. So car was swapped with no problems.

Onto our next destination, and we got a rock in the windshield - this was just a small ding - smaller than a dime and did not spread. So the car was returned and they were advised of the damage.

We did NOT take out the optional insurance, because mine will cover this. However the contract states all kinds of crap about paying for the car(s) to be out of service and repaired etc. Does anyone have any clues what I am going to up against? They have my original credit card info (but after vacation there is little room on this card for them to charge me - oopps and never asked for my insurance info other than day one to see that we had coverage.

I have rented cars many times and never damaged one - much less 2 on the same vacation lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Oh my, my husband seems to find all kinds of large boulders to back into whenever we rent a minivan. No other rentals get it but just the minivans we rent. LOL!!! Anyway, what will happen is they will get an estimate done on the vehicle and send it to you to approve and provide your insurance information to cover it or send a check. The appraisal they send should have it all broken down into the actual repairs and the car being "out of service". Being it is only a windshield you should only be looking at the car being "out of service" for a day. The last one my husband did (in March) was the back bumper on the corner and the tail light. It was only estimated to be "out of service" for like 2-3 days.

No, they will not charge your credit card.
Yes, they will bill you for the rental "unit" being "out of service".
Yes, they will send you an estimate and you can decide from there how to cover it.

It might take 3-4 weeks or longer for you to get anything in the mail from them.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:39 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,006,642 times
It takes a half a day to replace a windshield. If they try to bill you for the car being out of service I would ask them to show you that they had to turn away business because the car was down.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
It takes a half a day to replace a windshield. If they try to bill you for the car being out of service I would ask them to show you that they had to turn away business because the car was down.
True. It doesn't even take that long. Why they might bill for an entire day for it being "out of service" would be because it might not be done on their rental are. The car may be taken to the shop and set there all day.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,006,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
True. It doesn't even take that long. Why they might bill for an entire day for it being "out of service" would be because it might not be done on their rental are. The car may be taken to the shop and set there all day.
I agree it might take all day. However if the rental business is slow they might let the car sit for a week before fixing it. Then bill the customer for the week even though it would have just sat on the lot even if it had not been damaged.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:56 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
We did NOT take out the optional insurance, because mine will cover this. However the contract states all kinds of crap about paying for the car(s) to be out of service and repaired etc. Does anyone have any clues what I am going to up against? They have my original credit card info (but after vacation there is little room on this card for them to charge me - oopps and never asked for my insurance info other than day one to see that we had coverage.
Someone broke into our rental while on vacation by breaking the window. Our credit card company picked up the repair and the down time since we paid for the rental with the credit card. Have you checked with them to see if they provide coverage since you use the card for that rental?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:59 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,334,114 times
Thank you all for the info! I have not called the credit card yet - it was a Chase Visa, but I did call the insurance co for information about it. I still need to make an official report though.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM

33 posts, read 78,968 times
Did you take out travel insurance before you left? Your travel agent should have recommended that to you ... if you did, it might help with some of the costs! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel