Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

But, at this point, could you ever just STOP traveling altogether, and merely be content living where you are?

Ironically, my best trips have been when they ended on a sour note, like being mugged in Quito, Ecuador on my last day there, when I all but kissed the ground upon my return. The "worst" trips are when I throughly enjoyed every minute of my trip, and all but cried on my way home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Travelling can be painful, tiring, even dangerous sometimes- it's all part of the experience. People who'd rather stay in their confort zone had better stay at home-because going full package for an all inclusive week in a ***** resort is not traveling in my book.
And for me there is something else to travelling...it's a quality, not quantity experience, travelling is meaningful when it is interwoven in the fabric, in the essence of your life...travelling to visit friends & at the same time sightseeing & enjoying the local culture, food, entertainment ...doing the homework before is part of the pleasure...ponding later on the positive (oer negative) aspects of the experience...all in all travelling is always an education in the mores and ways of others...it shouldn't be taken lightly...I couldn't envision a life without any travelling, even if it's only from time to time...one comes back always the wiser...

Old 03-14-2009, 10:25 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
When you live in Hawaii, it's nice to come home.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:30 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
"Business Travel makes you more wise and less happy" would be more correct from my experiences. I've spent 7 years traveling for business, around the US and internationally. Spending time away from family and friends was miserable, in addition to the miles and hours logged week after week.

However, I got a more "day in the life" perspective that is sometimes lost while traveling for fun. I've become more tolerable, and sensitive in the differences of all regions; first hand experience to compare all the stereotypes that people have. If anything, it gave me a better sense of where I wanted to live, and how I want to live my life.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:43 AM

291 posts, read 390,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Thomas Jefferson once said: Travel makes you more wise and less happy.

I'm totally in agreement with that statement, do you agree?
Interesting quotation, but I do not agree.

I'm sure that everyone can agree that travel does make you wiser.

As far as happiness, travelling has become my passion. I would go away every week if I could. We have completely ceased going to all restaurants and, instead, use that money toward trips.

Unfortunately, I did not discover this passion until turning 40 with a wife and three kids, so I'm a bit limited to family friendly places.

On my iGoogle page, I keep countdowns to all my future trips. This is what helps me survive bad days at work and bad bosses.

Travel is an immense source of happiness in our lives. Frankly, I don't understand people who don't travel.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,579 times
I dont agree at all. It make you more wise because you experience more things but i think, at least for me, it makes me more happy because i enjoy my vacas so throughly.

G Man

Old 03-17-2009, 07:03 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
Interesting quotation, but I do not agree.

I'm sure that everyone can agree that travel does make you wiser.

As far as happiness, travelling has become my passion. I would go away every week if I could. We have completely ceased going to all restaurants and, instead, use that money toward trips.

Unfortunately, I did not discover this passion until turning 40 with a wife and three kids, so I'm a bit limited to family friendly places.

On my iGoogle page, I keep countdowns to all my future trips. This is what helps me survive bad days at work and bad bosses.

Travel is an immense source of happiness in our lives. Frankly, I don't understand people who don't travel.
I'm glad you agree with me, in so many words, that travel makes you more wise and less happy. I do the same thing, just the idea of a future trip helps me to survive any bad days I encounter.

So if travels DOES make you more happy, then WHY this big scramble to get on the next plane to go somewhere again? I'm praying for the day when I'll be happy NEVER to travel again. To me, it's like an addiction to drugs.

I work with people who NEVER travel anywhere, they spend their vacation time at home, blissfully happy. And, of course, I look at these people as aliens, but with extreme envy as well.

I remember the first time I crossed one of the oceans. I remember the game: If ONLY I could see Europe, I'd never ask another thing from God again, I'd be happy the rest of my life having gone there. And, now, after hundreds of trips, I STILL play the same game. If ONLY.......

Is it ever going to end! The happiness and unhappiness!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
I've known many people who could travel but chose to stay home in the town they adored.
I could never understand why traveling bothered them so much.......These were smart, intelligent people....why didn't they want to go explore?

I have always liked to visit other places, and I come home happy......yes, never sad.

Unlike Tij.......I didn't find any unhappiness in travel. It sort of refreshes me.........
Until I find a new place to visit again.

There is always more places to see..........and there just will never be enough time....

Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
ANYthing that makes you more wise is likely to make you less happy.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
The only thing that makes me unhappy about traveling is when I return and the elation of the vacation dissipates within my first day back on the job. I travel only domestically, and usually in April or Sept/Oct. Those are not particularly great months where I live. So I'll go to Palm Springs in April and end up resentful when I come back to endure another wet cold for another two months.

Many others I work with battle the very same thing issue, too. I think part of it is the job as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel