U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:35 PM

7,474 posts, read 10,593,069 times

Advertisements

Great new ad about India...

Incredible India!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:35 PM

261 posts, read 1,467,209 times
I visited India through Dreamland Tours (India Vacation, India for visitors, Indian Vacation)
Highly recommended.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM

515 posts, read 1,266,829 times
I really want to go to India. It looks like a very cool place to visit.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 PM

2,870 posts, read 3,284,857 times
My Mom owns a very successful travel agency (independently owned since 1986 and still booming, even in light of today's Travel Industry challenges).

She is diligently looking for an outside sales travel agent that specializes in India... someone tied to the Indian community with a large network of friends and family...

Since its outside sales, you don't have to live in the same city, state or even country for that matter! All you have to have is the will and desire and passion to work in the travel industry!

Anyone interested can DM or email me (all my contact info is listed under my id, X2CME) and I'll reply back with the agency's contact info!

I predict that within the next 8 to 10 years India will be the worlds next Europe when it comes to travel!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:11 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,259,924 times
I traveled through northern India with Gap Adventures. The group had only 12 people. It's a more international group because you sign up online. We used jeeps, public buses, trains to visit some very remote areas... Some places that we stayed at were rather spartan with just the basics; others were former forts/palaces that had been converted into small hotels/B&Bs.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:45 PM

33 posts, read 75,730 times
This is a WONDERFUL video ad... I truly hope it inspires many people to travel to India! India is one of the culturally richest places in the world to visit and all travelers will enjoy the many splendid wonders it offers!

Old 05-16-2009, 01:04 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,642,466 times
I backpacked independently through India and found it to be one of my least favorite places in the world to visit. The desparity between rich and poor is really apalling, especially in the northern/central cities like Delhi and Jaipur. I visited people living in mansions with a half-dozen servants and people living under a single frayed blue tarp. I've been to less developed countries, but the plight of the destitute didn't really hit me as hard anywhere as it did in India.

I agree with the slogan, though; for better or worse it really is "Incredible India"

Old 05-16-2009, 01:26 PM

7,474 posts, read 10,593,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I backpacked independently through India and found it to be one of my least favorite places in the world to visit. The desparity between rich and poor is really apalling, especially in the northern/central cities like Delhi and Jaipur. I visited people living in mansions with a half-dozen servants and people living under a single frayed blue tarp. I've been to less developed countries, but the plight of the destitute didn't really hit me as hard anywhere as it did in India.

I agree with the slogan, though; for better or worse it really is "Incredible India"
Poverty exists everywhere, of course to a much greater degree in a 3rd world country of course. Sure, India is a poor country, but extremely rich in culture

When I go by Pershing Square here in downtown Los Angeles I am truly appalled at the homeless, destitute people sleeping on park benches and scavenging from garbage bins in what is supposed to be the richest country in the world. That to me is truly shocking. Certain parts of East Los Angeles actually look MUCH worse than certain parts of Bangalore in India.

Disparity between rich and poor as measured by the Gini Coefficient is actually worse in the United States than in India ;-) In India the middle class is burgeoning and in the United States it is shrinking, the rich are getting richer at the expense of the middle class.

Every place has it's negatives, let's not focus on that.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:39 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,902,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
I really want to go to India. It looks like a very cool place to visit.
It really isn't. The country is pretty bad and the people are very annoying. Don't ever visit.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:41 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,902,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Poverty exists everywhere, of course to a much greater degree in a 3rd world country of course. Sure, India is a poor country, but extremely rich in culture

When I go by Pershing Square here in downtown Los Angeles I am truly appalled at the homeless, destitute people sleeping on park benches and scavenging from garbage bins in what is supposed to be the richest country in the world. That to me is truly shocking. Certain parts of East Los Angeles actually look MUCH worse than certain parts of Bangalore in India.

Disparity between rich and poor as measured by the Gini Coefficient is actually worse in the United States than in India ;-) In India the middle class is burgeoning and in the United States it is shrinking, the rich are getting richer at the expense of the middle class.

Every place has it's negatives, let's not focus on that.
No, there is no comparison between the two. When the poor in the US start to drink rainwater from the streets then we can begin to compare. Until then, there is no comparison from the poor here to the poor in India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel