Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip in the middle of June to go to rio de janeiro. Is there any advice on where we should stay? Is there an area other than rio de janeiro that we should look into traveling to? We are not locked into rio de janeiro, but my wife will be going to sao paulo for business.

Thanks in advance!
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM

9 posts, read 14,759 times
When in Rio, it's best to stay in Zona Sul(or the south zone). This would be areas such as Copacabana and Ipanema. There are many hotels along the beach in Copacabana and Ipanema- the Copacabana Palace is a wonderful place, and also the Hotel Fasano in Ipanema. As I'm sure you've read, Rio can be dangerous in places, but having been there more than once, I can say being smart and assertive is key to enjoying your trip and staying safe. No flashy jewelry, no laptop at a sidewalk cafe, that sort of thing. Stay out of the favelas, think twice about going on a guided tour of one also. It wouldn't be my first choice. However, I only encountered one slight issue while walking to my hotel one night, and I was being followed, and harassed by a man, obviously working for his "boss" who was sitting at a kiosk nearby. This was a little alarming, and had my husband not been with me things might have gotten hairy. With that being said, Brazilians and Cariocas(natives of Rio) are a generally very kind, caring, helpful and friendly group of people, and I absolutely love Brazil and cannot get enough of it.

You will definitely want to see Christ the Reedemer statue and Sugar Loaf mountain. Both are huge attractions in the city, and absolutely breathtaking. If you're also looking to venture in other directions, I would suggest Paraty, Ouro Preto and in Nordeste (northeast Brazil) I would suggest Natal.

PM me if you'd like more information!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM

128 posts, read 628,155 times
I've been to Rio a couple of times the most recent in November. Remember one thing - it's winter there. Frankly this trip I didn't enjoy at all. My fiance' who was with me (Brasilian) didn't enjoy it either. As Bom dia (good morning) suggested, the NE. Less traveled, closer to the equator, less expensive and to me the most important, less crowded. You can PM me if you wish for any further info.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I never much liked Rio--too touristy for me personally. I actually like Brasilia, but some don't since it was planned and not as "natural" as other areas. Still, it's clean and relatively safe. I like the rural areas around Brasilia. We go to Goias.
In Rio you have to be careful of all types of thievery. They are rampant--day and night. Be esp. vigilant.
I want to get to the Northeast area by Recife/Fortaleza next and South Brazil, around Floranapolis. I'd take those areas over Rio.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:34 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I was in Rio a long time ago but the most important thing that my friend and I (two gringas who didn't speak portuguese) did was to stay in Ipanema, and not to stay out late or go venturing into unknown territory at night. We usually just went out to dinner (Rio has some great restaurants) and then back to the hotel, and we were fine.

We stayed away from the Copacabana area, as it was very touristy and therefore much more crime-prone. The Copacabana Hotel is gorgeous--we couldn't afford to stay there but we did go there for high-tea one rainy afternoon. I also enjoyed the Feria Hippie in Ipanema.

Corcovado is lovely, especially the ride up the mountain. I also enjoyed the botanical gardens, as well as the National Museum (at the time, there was a spectacular El Greco exhibit.) Also in the downtown area is the famous Confeitaria Colombo, a very elegant tea-house/restaurant that is a visual stunner.

I second staying out of the favelas. I would also stay away from Cinelandia, especially at night.

There are some neat side trips that you can also try, such as Buzios and Angra Dos Reyes. More locally, you can check out my personal fav, Grumari [beach].

Just keep in mind that you are going during the wintertime, so the weather may not be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel