Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 01:42 PM

321 posts, read 1,028,953 times

Advertisements

I've tried Googling this, but to no avail... so I thought I'd try here. I am traveling to Ireland for the first time in just over 10 weeks. I'd like to devote some time to a little pre-trip reading of novels that "capture" Ireland... maybe some historical fiction or even some modern-day accounts. A few books that paint a vivid picture.

I'm going with a touring company, and we get to see quite a bit in a short time. So, the books don't have to all be about Dublin, or all about the countryside... maybe a bit of both.

Any suggestions? Just for reference, I have been to both England & Scotland before.

Thanks, looking forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 PM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times
You could try the Dublin Sagas, which cover Ireland, by Edward Rutherfurd.

That said, I haven't read them! I have read The Forest which is about where I live.

This link will give you some info.

Edward Rutherfurd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How historically accurate these sagas will be I do not know.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:43 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,355 times
Just be careful, looks like Ireland is getting dangerous again.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
Just be careful, looks like Ireland is getting dangerous again.
The recent shootings occured in Northern Ireland, not the Republic of Ireland. It sounds like the OP will be in the Republic of Ireland which does not really see violence (even in the past) on this issue. The terrorists who commit these acts of violence are people who think NI should not be a part of the UK and that all of Ireland should be reunited as one country. Therefore, their violence is focused in NI and the UK, there is no reason for them to attack their own country (the Republic of Ireland where the OP will be touring).

It is arguably more dangerous to be visiting England than the Republic of Ireland right now. Although no attacks have been made in England recently, there have been in the past and who knows where these people plan to strike in the future. I think London saw the most attacks but a few other cities in the UK did see some violence as well - including the city I currently live in.

At least that is my understanding of the whole situation.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
I enjoyed the Agnes Brown Trilogy, by Brendan O Carroll.

I also appreciated the works of Roddy Doyle, especially Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha.

I haven't read Edward Rutherford's books on Ireland, but I certainly enjoyed his book about London.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 PM

321 posts, read 1,028,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I enjoyed the Agnes Brown Trilogy, by Brendan O Carroll.

I also appreciated the works of Roddy Doyle, especially Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha.

I haven't read Edward Rutherford's books on Ireland, but I certainly enjoyed his book about London.
Thanks for the responses so far! Any others?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayInParadise View Post
I've tried Googling this, but to no avail... so I thought I'd try here. I am traveling to Ireland for the first time in just over 10 weeks. I'd like to devote some time to a little pre-trip reading of novels that "capture" Ireland... maybe some historical fiction or even some modern-day accounts. A few books that paint a vivid picture.

I'm going with a touring company, and we get to see quite a bit in a short time. So, the books don't have to all be about Dublin, or all about the countryside... maybe a bit of both.

Any suggestions? Just for reference, I have been to both England & Scotland before.

Thanks, looking forward to your responses.
Thomas Cahill's "How the Irish Saved Civilization." It's purely historical, written in a light, almost folksy style that makes it an entertaining read. It provides an historical account of how, when western Europe was being overrun by barbaric hordes to fall into what we now call "The Dark Ages," the monks & scribes of Ireland preserved literature & history from all over the then civilized world that would otherwise have been lost. Provides a great appreciation for the people of Ireland, and an understanding of St. Patrick & how his love of literature & learning influenhced the world.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,250,778 times
My Dream of You by Nuala O'Faolain--The heroine, Kathleen de Burca, is an Irish travel writer living in London. Estranged from her homeland and her family, pushing 50 but still living in the same dingy basement flat that's been her home for two decades, Kathleen's is a life gone "even and dry."

She goes travelling in Ireland. Anything by Maeve Binchy will put you in the mood. I went in 2005 and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel