Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Also of interest is the Chateau de Malmaison ( where Napoleon and Josephine lived) .
Château de Malmaison à Rueil Malmaison - Musée consacré à Napoléon Bonaparte et à l'Impératrice Joséphine - Visite virtuelle du Chateau

Both Vaux le Vicomte
I saw Malmaison and loved it--the gardens should be entering their splendor now. The interior had some interesting exhibits, too, but would appeal more to someone who has done a bit of reading about Napoleon and Josephine.
We did not have time for Vaux Vicomte, more's the pity, but I can only handle so many chateaux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just wouldn't do the Mont St Michel thing for a day. Honestly you're gonna spend half the day on the trains, and for that kind of money, it would be better to stay a couple of nights in Bayeux (which is a charming town by the way) and take a trip from there. Wait until you have more time...that would be my suggestion.
I agree that doing Mont St Michel as a day trip would be grueling. I read that going through a side entrance makes for a less crowded visit, but we went along with everyone else.
For me, Bayeux was somewhat of a downturn on our trip. I found it expensive and touristy in the extreme, there were more middle-aged people walking around with maps than there were inhabitants of Bayeux. (We were coming from Brittany and Bayeux was closer than Caen, so it was more practical for us to stay there.) However, the Tapestry was incredible, well worth a visit, I truly appreciated the audio portion of the tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 05:06 AM

10 posts, read 15,123 times
Paris is the city that never sleeps. It has so many names like lover’s city, fashion city, lights city and many more. Paris is so happening and exotic that it is very difficult to travel around the entire city within couple of days.

There are so many attractions in Paris city but Eiffel Tower and the eye-catching Seine River is the best.

Paris city is of changeable moods and continuously delightful tourist attractions and sounds, means that every time in your tour of Paris city you could come across a whole new range of excitement and experience, so there is no any risk of getting bore on your second or third trip of Paris and if you are going first time to Paris I’ll just say enjoy in the city of lover’s and plunge yourself in the unique rich atmosphere of the city.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:10 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
The Eiffel Tower - the posters on this thread have been at the top, but I wonder if any have climbed the stairs. Upon my visit a long line waited for the elevator, probably at least an hour. I decided to climb the stairs. It's cheaper, only goes to the second platform, is almost deserted, but the view is still impressive. For me the first time was very unique because I have a fear of height combined with such lofty views of the city. I clung to the handrail for dear life, hoping not to slip and fall thru the metal stairs, to plunge to the ground. Some years later I did it again, but had no fear, and was somewhat disappointed not experiencing the unique sensation. I've never been to the top.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The Eiffel Tower - the posters on this thread have been at the top, but I wonder if any have climbed the stairs. Upon my visit a long line waited for the elevator, probably at least an hour. I decided to climb the stairs. It's cheaper, only goes to the second platform, is almost deserted, but the view is still impressive. For me the first time was very unique because I have a fear of height combined with such lofty views of the city. I clung to the handrail for dear life, hoping not to slip and fall thru the metal stairs, to plunge to the ground. Some years later I did it again, but had no fear, and was somewhat disappointed not experiencing the unique sensation. I've never been to the top.
Goodness that is exactly my experience ! I climbed up which was fine but coming down was hell ( I suffer from Vertigo but only on made made structures). I basically held the hands of 2 very nice friends of mine,and tried not to look down through the metal grilles. I felt really quite queasy and it was windy as well... I was so embarrassed.

I have not been back up the Eiffel Tower since apart from going to the "Jules Verne" restaurant ( by lift).

Oddly enough put me on the edge of a cliff and I am absolutely fine... I think I have issues of trust with humans and their creations...

Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
You don't include Art et Metier with Rue du Temple (3rd arrondissement) in the Sentier ?
Me I would, it is the same area with the same activities.
And unlike the part in the 2nd arrondissement, this part is next to the Marais.

Anyway the Sentier area is more interresting on weekdays when there is all the activities.
The weekends it is quite boring.
I have been under the impression that Le Sentier and Les Marais are the same district...which one would suggest doing a shopping at?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just wouldn't do the Mont St Michel thing for a day. Honestly you're gonna spend half the day on the trains, and for that kind of money, it would be better to stay a couple of nights in Bayeux (which is a charming town by the way) and take a trip from there. Wait until you have more time...that would be my suggestion.
You definetely convinced me going for two days!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I agree with you though I believe strictly speaking it is geographically delineated by those streets , in terms of classification by the Mairie de Paris .

And it is definitely better during week-days as you say, a lot more activity and more buzzing.

I love le Marais though it has lost a lot of its charms in recent years as it modernised a bit, the shops have changed a lot changing the feel of the place, IMO anyway.

when do shops close in "Les Marais"?
are they striclty wholesale places?
Thanks!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Le Sentiers is not a shopping area for the average buyer, it is wholesale shop.
Don't be folled even if shop look like the average clothing store, they only sell at professional people (most often clothing shop owner).
Anyway this area is still interresting as one of oldest in Paris.

Le Marais is a shoping area, here you could buy cloth.
In the Marais the ambience is more touristy and less authentic than in the Sentiers/Art et Metiers.
Ah! this is a very good info.
when is a good time...avoiding crowds...to shop at Les Marais?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Rick, aren't you talking about the Latin Quarter?
I agree that doing the touristy things in Paris can be rewarding.
I never worry too much about personal safety, but I do use a neck pouch instead of a purse, and my husband uses a money belt.

Some suggestions:

The Eiffel Tower--at dusk, or at night, all lit up. Ditto Sacre Coeur and Montmartre

The Louvre

picnic at the Pompidou Centre

Walk along the Seine. Visit Ile St. Louis. The island is connected by a bridge to Ile de la Cite, a few steps away from the Notre Dame Cathedral, which itself is another must-see

Musee d'Orsay: the place to go to see the Impressionists

Rodin Museum

window shopping along Champs-Elysees

Pere-Lachaise Cemetery (don't miss Oscar Wilde's grave)

The Cluny Museum (ancient Roman ruins plus the famous Unicorn tapestries)

We took a day trip to Reims to see the cathedral, taste Veuve-Cliquot champagne, and visit the caves. We also took a day trip to visit Monet's gardens at Giverny. Another day could be spent visiting either Versailles or Fontainebleu.
Eating: we had a delicious meal at Le Florimond
This year my plans for Paris include returning to Pere LeChaise (I love cemeteries) as well as visiting Malmaison, home of Napoleon and Empress Josephine.
what is Fontainebleu?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
8 days is quite a good period of time as it allows you to "do" the touristy bits and still get to take in the atmosphere and chill a bit. Paris is a very walkable city and sometimes it is nice to see where your feet take you.

The Ile St Louis is lovely, a great place to while away a few hours in a little tea-room .

If you are there for 8 days you should get a transport card, it will save you a lot of money.

I would also suggest maybe a trip to Rouen or Chartres ( easily done from Paris) , both have lovely Medieval centres and really lovely Cathedrals.
You could even do an overnight stay to make it more pleasant.

A lot of people go to Giverny to see Monet's gardens ( lovely in Spring and Summer especially) but it is a bit further. I think it all depends what you like.

If you were feeling a bit more adventurous I really like Lille, big Northern city -used to be very grim because of its history as a mining city but now beautifully restored and some fantastic Flemish architecture. Very easy and quick on the TGV ( high speed train). It gives you a different flavour of France.

In Paris the Ste Chapelle is one of my favourites and when I lived there I used to go all the time. If you are a student or under 26 there should be discounts for most places as long as you have proof.
That includes transport discounts I think too.

I haven't lived in Paris for many years so I can't recommend restaurants, I would keep away from eating at the obvious touristy places though.
There are some wonderful North African and Vietnamese/Cambodian restaurants because of a large immigrant population ( due to the old French Empire)and the Rough Guide should tell you all about it.

Paris like other big cities has some problems with crime but on the whole it feels very safe. I would take the usual precautions but not worry too much about it.

The areas which are a bit more dodgy which the tourists might encounter are "Les Halles" ( Beaubourg) and maybe La Bastille but both are fine during the day.

Other day excursions are Malmaison, Vaux le Vicomte and Chantilly and of course Versailles. Versailles is quite an amazing place but I personally much prefer Vaux le Vicomte which feels more "human".
what transport option can I get from Paris to Vaux le Vicomte?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel