U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 09:40 AM

2,833 posts, read 9,919,586 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever rented a houseboat?
What was it like compared to your expectations?
Did the purchase of gas just kill you on expenses?

Does anyone in the Pa. area know where to rent one within about 350 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 05:14 PM

4,284 posts, read 14,634,103 times
Default Once

Group of us rented one on the Trent River in Ontario about 10 years ago.

Capacity of the boat was 8....... 6 of us was plenty.

It was a decent 5 days, but houseboating for me was one of things that looks better than the reality. Kinda like how making love in a hay stack looks romantic as heck in a movie, but loses some of its allure when you're actually getting dried thistles in your butt.

Some of the adventure might be regained if you went to an area you were unfamiliar with.

Outboard motors like gas.

Houseboats are not built for speed.

Gas consumption is going to vary widely depending on how far you go, how fast you go, water currents, etc.

Looks like there's a couple of places near Lake Raystown, PA.

Also a couple of places listed on this site:

http://www.goplayoutdoors.com/houseboats_menu.htm

Old 03-25-2007, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the reply, I had a sneaking suspicion that it was not as much fun as it looks.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 PM

3,359 posts, read 11,119,410 times
I took one that we owned to the Adirondack Mtns to stay on when the kids were little. We're water people anyway so we loved it.

What you want to remember is that you really want to be on flat water. The Adirondacks were nice as there is a chain of small lakes. We roamed around on one of the state park islands during the day to make a campfire, and slept, swam, and dived off the boat and toured around with it a bit.

They use a lot less gas than an I/O. More comfy than a tent.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 14,213 times
Default We have a great time!!!

We have rented a houseboat in Kentucky the last 2 years. We have had a great time. We have already booked to go this August. It is more fun if you go with a group of friends. We usually go with 6-8 others and have a great time. I would suggest though that you have a small boat to take back and forth to the marina. We take a ski boat and jet ski with us and have an excellent time. If you have access to a boat or jet ski you should have a good time.

The gas does add up, but with the jet ski and boat we only move the houseboat one time mid-week to get more gas and empty the holding tank. We use the ski boat for our errands to the marina and back.

9 people went last year and we always pool all the cost into one and divide it by the number who went. For everything last year including Boat, gas, food, drinks, and gas to drive down from Michigan it cost around $450 per person which is actually a cheap vacation if you find enough people to split it with.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:27 PM

57 posts, read 219,593 times
We did one years ago in Kentucky also, and had the best vacation ever..All adults and no kids, we also took jet skiis and had so much fun can't wait to do it again.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:11 AM

14,138 posts, read 26,170,563 times
I;ve done this a couple times and had a lot of fun. Lake Powell was the best!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:28 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,170,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post

It was a decent 5 days, but houseboating for me was one of things that looks better than the reality. Kinda like how making love in a hay stack looks romantic as heck in a movie, but loses some of its allure when you're actually getting dried thistles in your butt.
Maybe this comment is responsible for the recent spike in the hay futures commodities market.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:28 PM

Thanks for all your comments, I'm thinking it would not be as fun as I think it would be. Maybe if I had done it when my kids were smaller. They are teens now, and their idea of a family vacation is really diferent than a few years ago!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 13,123 times
Anybody have input or opinons on these people -- for Lake Cumberland in Kentucky)?
waterwayadventures - just the houseboat rentals (nothing else) (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or