Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times

Advertisements

Hi there - we usually take at least 1 quality summer vacation each year - last year we went to Sandestin (Florida) Atlantis resort and Yellowstone and Grand Teton - between May and August. Our kids pretty much go everywhere we do (6,10). So, in thinking of what to do this year - im constricted by budget - also we are moving from Florida to Minnesota - so we would like to save our warmer/beach like vacations for the dead of winter!

Interested in knowing what all of you are planning for your summer - there are definitely some interesting ideas on this board. The most recent to run through my mind - Sitka!

Please share your plans. thoughts, suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:36 AM

9 posts, read 36,157 times
I'll probably just go to Virginia Beach for a week.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:49 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
When are you moving? In the summer? If that is the case why don't you do your vacation as a road trip on the way to Minnesota? Take time along the way to visit Nashville, Western North Carolina, Dollywood, Biltmore Estate, there is a big cavern in Kentucky (I think it is KY) that kids would love. Many scenic roads along the way including the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 AM

That is a great idea. Keep them coming!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
We (family of 4...kids ages 6 and 1 1/2) are heading to Scottsdale, Arizona. I am sure you are all saying, "are you crazy!?!?!" We probably are, but the resorts in Phoenix are amazing and they are dirt cheap in the summer. Yes, I know it is going to be at least 110 degrees, but it's a "dry heat" right?

We have family there but want to stay at a resort anyway. We are going to stay at a hotel that normally costs more than $400 a night and got a summer rate for $150. They have huge pools, cabanas, a spa, a lazy river, etc etc.

We'll be smart and avoid being in the sun during the peak hours, but we are looking forward to it.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 AM

3D's - We did Scottsdale few summers ago in August - it really was wonderful. If you want some ideas of things to do - DM me - the kids were about 4 and 7 then - and we had a blast! Enjoy.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
the summer deals are great - you'll see a fair amount of us locals taking little getaways there as well - many places off spa/dinner credits, really good rates and then all the pool activities

comfortable to swim any time of the day, as long as you are smart with sunblock and drinking water - it's still plenty warm after the sun goes down as well to make swimming enjoyable

Old 04-03-2009, 01:34 PM

15 posts, read 29,070 times
How about a dude ranch? it's not like any vacation you've ever taken before, no tv's, no cell phone's, and no outside distractions. your whole family will enjoy a week together horseback riding, fishing, and roasting marshmellows. there is a free place where you can get a ton of info on all the ranches that will fit you budget and your family: its the dude ranchers association. google them.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:10 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times
We're a family with four children (under age 7) going to Bend, Oregon. We're going to hang out, hike, and relax. We're driving there and it's a 15 hour ride. We might make some stops along the way...but who knows! Why did we choose Bend? We'd never been there and Oregon is beautiful in the summer!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:15 AM

841 posts, read 4,838,640 times
We might fly to San Francisco to visit my brother for a long weekend. My kids, ages 7 and 5, have never been out to see their uncle on his turf (always have seen their uncle at the grandparents' house). So I think they are finally at the age where they can do a lot of hilly walking. We've done NYC numerous times and my boys love a big city...lots of garbage trucks to see, city buses, subways, they love everything transportation!

We live by Virginia Beach so we go to the beach a lot on the weekends. Love it! Give a boy a ton of sand, some tonka trucks, and a shovel and the whole family is in heaven for hours and hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel