Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as Asian vs American airlines go I don't really care about anything but cost....well safety also but accidents are incredibly rare for either.

I decided to go with a little known website that deals exclusively with U.S.-China air travel and found a round trip from Charlotte to Shanghai and back for $1187 which is about $400 less than all the other sites I've found on the web. Really good especially considering I leave at the beginning of June.

I don't know if the organization wants its name out there too much (the vibe I've gotten from them) so I haven't posted its name but if you'd like to know what it is just PM me and I'll gladly give you the name of the website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:55 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. As far as Asian vs American airlines go I don't really care about anything but cost....well safety also but accidents are incredibly rare for either.
The accident rate for the asian airlines is around triple that for the US and European counterparts. Just keep that in mind.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The accident rate for the asian airlines is around triple that for the US and European counterparts. Just keep that in mind.
Also keep in mind those statistics include budget carriers in developing countries like Indonesia's Garuda and Lion airlines which--indeed--were shut down by their government due to poor safety, but do not fly trans-pacific routes like the major asian carriers, and will never be an option to the majority of travellers from the US. I've flown on both and survived, but I was conscious of their less-than-stellar safety records. Of course, I've also commuted to work on the LA freeways--statistically a far more dangerous (and frustrating) proposition.

If you want to talk safety, it's best to consider it on a carrier-by-carrier basis. Probably the same can be said for comfort, though.

I'm flying from Taiwan to Indiana (TPE-NRT-ATL-IND) on Northwest/Delta (USD 559) later this year, so I'll let you know how the service was. Personally, though, I'm dreading the Narita to Atlanta leg.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM

Yep I got a ticket using USChinatrip.com for $1187 total for roundtrip. It will be a marathon from Charlotte to LA to Shanghai. I'm happy with everything except how early the departure is. A 7:45AM international from CLT means I need to leave Charleston, SC at 3AM!!! Ouch.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times
Quote:

I think we are talking about those airlines in Top10. I am not including Air Cuba into the American statistics either

Go ahead and compare any metrics of Singapore airlines, Cathay Pacific, Thai, Malaysia airlines, Asiana or similar with any US major airlines. You will be surprised.
You think those guys are flying Airbus 380 and all newest jets over Pacific with college dropouts and cessna pilots

Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 PM

Anybody ever fly China Eastern Airlines? I'm flying them from LAX to PVG. Are they generous with food/alcohol? How about cramped conditions or safety records?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:04 AM

339 posts, read 1,168,944 times
Hi decafdave, I have not flown China Eastern yet BUT I know all the major Chinese airlines are fine i.e. Eastern, Southern, Shenzhen, etc. No-one I know in Hong Kong would hesitate to use them. I wouldn't worry at all. They are one of the biggest carriers in the world. I think wheelsup is a teensy bit paranoid. Have a great time in China!

Old 05-23-2009, 08:50 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,040 times
Quote:
Well yeah, that's if you include the mass of budget carriers into those calculations. World class airlines like Singapore and Cathay Pacific have not only perfect safety records, but they have as you mentioned before superior cabin service. Nice of you to support American Airlines and all, but I think I'll fly in comfort with Singapore whenever I'm on a transnational flight.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
This is definitely NOT TRUE about Air India!!

I have taken Air India several times to France and they are NOT as NICE as American Airlines.

The curtain to the bathroom flys open when you pass, and the whiff of urine assails your nostrils.

Then the Airplane never made it back to pick up its passengers in France, so we all had to wait 4 hours to get put on a Air France Air plane!

Also, the Air India planes look like yellow enough on the iniside and color of seat cushions to persuade me that they were bought in the 1970's!

But since I am a budget traveler, I woudl probably take them again, if they can get me to france for under 400 dollars! ;-) And won't leave me stranded in France! ;-(

This is only 2 years ago!!

They are definitely not better than U.S. airlines!! I don't know about Singapore Air or other Asian Airlines!!

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
To the OP:

Try wego.com

They are consistently cheaper than kayak and they're really good for non-us-originating flights. The real trick, though, is to pick the flight you want (write down the number, dates, locations), usually the cheapest one on wego or whatever search engine you use, then go directly to the airlines home page and book through them. This often saves you between USD 40 and USD 200 per ticket. Sometimes it is more expensive to go through the airlines website, but usually you can get at least a modest savings, especially on asian airlines.

As a frequent international traveller to both Europe and Asia, I recommend the exact opposite of this gentleman's suggestion. With the exception of asian budget carriers vs. American luxury carriers (and the associated price difference) every American-based airline I have flown on has had far inferior service to their asian counterparts. Even, surprisingly, in the case of Air India.

US airline fleets are aging and their high labor costs mean they can't afford the same sort of upkeep that asian airlines can, and it shows. Fly trans-pacific on an asian carrier and you are almost garanteed personal seatback entertainment with your choice of movies and games, free alcohol (beer and wine), and the services of a fully-staffed attentive aircrew. American airlines are more hit-and-miss. You might find yourself on an aging 747 squinting to see the distant movie screens playing whatever happens to be on that route and having to deal with a harried and understaffed aircrew.

I can't say about maintenence, but if they can't afford to upgrade their cabins or properly staff their crews one wonders about the engines and airframe inspections.

The best of the best asian airlines, IMO, are (from best to good):
JAL
Eva
Malaysian Airlines
ANA
China Airlines

Old 05-25-2009, 10:38 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Air India is at the low end of the list of asian carriers and can be inferior to US carriers depending on the route and the aircraft. However, their pricing is pretty rock-bottom, so I would rate their overall value as better.

The seats are uncomfortable, the aircraft often does smell funny, and you should ALWAYS pick a seat FAR from the toilet on any flight, bus, or train if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel