Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
Wow! Im afraid I would have taken it back from her and put it in her face, or all over her face. That is rude, heartbreaking and all kinds of wrong. I think to have seen that would have set me off. May I ask your reaction to that?
Gsd353, I guess it took us awhile to get over the shock. But when we recovered, we decided since we were in a foreign country with a VERY different legal system than ours (and an inability to speak nothing more than "Pidgen Russian" among the four of us), there wasn't a lot we could do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
When I was flying home from Scotland, the plane had to make a stop in Islay, Irland (I think thats how Islay is spelled). But anyway, as the plane come in on the aproach we noticed a vehicle driving down the runway,"which was also the taxiway". The plane was so small that I was able to ask the pilot what the vehicle was doing. He replied "Chasing the sheep off the runway, mate". Talk about your pucker factor jumping. Oh, and I found out later on that the sheep kept the lawn mowed for them. Talk about your green living.
SeeBeeBolt, your post brought back many memories of my time in Korea (especially the ROKAF base where we were just a small unit... ) English might be the international language of aviation, but Korean English sure took some getting used to... Dealing with our counterparts in the tower, Base Ops and other units on the flight line was interesting! We used sheep at several overseas USAF bases to mow the lawn!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
On a closer to home note, we have had some interesting experiences on float trips. A TERRIFYING ride in the back of a pickup with no tailgate at 50 m/h on a very winding Ozark dirt road,driven by a psycho woman. It started to storm, and we were using aluminum paddles in aluminum canoes. We spent 1 1/2 hours on a gravel bar with lightning all around. Then when the weather cleared, here came psycho woman's teenage boys in canoes, all smoking pot.Fortunately, that group is no longer in business.....was once offered some homemade wine in a Mason jar by complete strangers on the river.They claimed it tasted "like a strong Mar-low". I politely declined.....

Have had mostly wonderful times floating, with fun and interesting people.
At least you didn't hear "Dueling Banjos"...

Old 04-12-2007, 04:08 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Cool Reply to Crew Chief

Ya, I did two tours in Korea for Team Spirits. Of course that was back with I was with the 25th Inf. Div. Hawaii.
Another bad situation happened when was flying into Spain. The pilot must of been a trainee. When we landed, the plane hit so hard on the runway all of the overhead compartment popped open dropping all the contents on anyone that happened to be sitting under them. I swear we bottomed out on the suspention system .

Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
At least you didn't hear "Dueling Banjos"...
We were beginning to wonder....Oh yeah, one time we pulled up on the gravel bar for lunch, just down from another group. My brother-in-law suddenly yelled "Dude, your boat's on fire" to one of them. He had pulled his canoe up onto the (not quite out) remains of a campfire and burned a hole in the rented canoe!

Someone always manages to reference "You shore got a purty mouth!" at some point.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:30 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Gsd353, I guess it took us awhile to get over the shock. But when we recovered, we decided since we were in a foreign country with a VERY different legal system than ours (and an inability to speak nothing more than "Pidgen Russian" among the four of us), there wasn't a lot we could do...
LOL, I would suppose your right!

Old 04-13-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
We were beginning to wonder....Oh yeah, one time we pulled up on the gravel bar for lunch, just down from another group. My brother-in-law suddenly yelled "Dude, your boat's on fire" to one of them. He had pulled his canoe up onto the (not quite out) remains of a campfire and burned a hole in the rented canoe!

Someone always manages to reference "You shore got a purty mouth!" at some point.
Firball, I think you've got the makings of one bizarre movie; "Deliverance" meets "Dude, Where's My Car...???

Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,370,882 times
After completing a 3 year stint in the US Army in 1978, got home to CA and had 3 or 4 months of free time before starting back in college. Decided to buy a pickup truck and take a drive heading south, South America that is. Drove the Panamerican Highway through Mexico and Central America to Panama. That took a bit over 3 weeks, pretty easy paced drive, no big problems other than some long waits at border crossings and a few hassles from public officials. Then put truck onto ferry boat to Cartagena, Colombia. Headed south through Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile and Argentina for the next 5 or 6 weeks. On the last day of the trip heading south, I stopped to buy gas in Ushuaia, Argentina, southern most town on earth at the southernmost gas station on earth. As I was filling up my truck with gas, another pickup truck pulls into the same gas station right behind my truck. The other truck had Alaska license plates, and had also just completed driving the Alaska highway, from Fairbanks. Turns out they had followed a very similar route itinerary through Latin America as mine once they reached the lower 48, separated by just a few days here and there. Those were the only 2 Americans I met traveling by land during the entire trip.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:00 PM

793 posts, read 3,122,159 times
Yes, going thru the Indian Navajo reservation to get to the 4-corners after 2 hours of sleep in Utah when a sudden snowstorm caved in my tent in late May only an hour from Moab, where I had just enjoyed 70 degree temps that day. All you do is get your picture taken standing in 4 states at once and then you race frantically to find the nearest evidence of human civilization again. Nothing but a few scary flea markets. Some of the routes fail to mention they aren't paved roads. My car wound up trucking thru over a foot of mud and I nearly got stuck in the middle of no-where on a cold and dreary day. Drove to Zona where the temp went up 10x and wound up with a shield of mud plastered solidly all over the vehicle. Got home a week later and the serviceman needed a drill and chisel to get thru the mud that prevented him from getting to the oil filter.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:12 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Default Go Greyhound

When I was 13 (back in the 1960's) I took a greyhound from CA to OK. The greyhound bus broke down 90 miles outside of Needles, CA at 2:00AM. It was 87 degrees. A second greyhound came and picked us up. THAT one broke down too.

An RV picked up 15 of us and took us into Needles at 3:00AM. We were put into a 3rd greyhound bus and waited for the other passengers to show up.

I standing outside the bus station at about 3:30 AM and a man with no nose on his face was going through the trash cans. His face had a hole in it where his face should have been. He followed me back to the bus station and came into the bus station. I got scared and jumped into the bus and sat down where I could see him come out of the bus station looking for me.

Freaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel