Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:39 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,588,959 times

Advertisements

I didnt know where to post this, but I wanted to share our experience with the Garmin Street Pilot c550 GPS.

5 Stars - Love it & Highly Recommend

I bought this GPS last week and tried it around town. Great directions, for the most part (missed one street one time, but not a big deal). The unit actually tells you the street names, which really helps!

When you turn on the GPS it must find the satellite to find your current position. This takes about 20 seconds at my house, but less than 5 seconds at other locations. You can preprogram set destinations (home, work, etc). and also just type in the location you are going to next. It shows you a map, and then tells you step by step which way to turn, on what streets, and how far it is to that turn. For instance: In 1.8 miles turn right on Main Street. And when you are arriving at your location it says "arriving at 123 Main Street, on the left. It is useful to know what side of the street you are looking for.

If you miss a turn, or decide to ignore a route, it will recalculate based on where you are & get you back on track, or find a different route. I forced it to find me a different route a couple times, and it chose correctly.

By far the neatest part of this GPS is the traffic feature. Its an add-on, but comes with 3 free months when you purchase the unit. It monitors the traffic conditions/accidents/road closures, etc and routes you around them. Today we were driving home on the 101 freeway. Our home is right off the 101 freeway, so we were a little surprised when the GPS told us to get on the 170 north. Traffic was going well, and I thought it was very strange to have us go off in another direction. I decided to see where it was taking us, and did take th 170. Meanwhile, we tuned to the news channel on the radio and sure enough there was a traffic accident a couple miles further down the freeway with 2 lanes closed. The GPS unit routed us around the accident and then back on the 101. I was really impressed I dont know how much the traffic subscription is, but I think its a must-get.

This specific GPS unit also plays mp3s, pictures, has the Points of Interest built in (MANY of the restaurants on the list are out of business, however - I went through the list in our hometown and quite a few were no longer valid). But thats ok, I didnt get the GPS to help me find restaurants!

So if you are in the market for a GPS, look closely at the Garmin Street Pilot c550.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 11:01 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,273,878 times
I would like to get one..BTW what do the services cost?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I would like to get one..BTW what do the services cost?
The only service you have to pay extra for is the Traffic portion. I think its $50 or $60 a year. Believe me, after our experience today - its worth every penny! Sitting stuck in traffic for hours is no fun, being warned ahead of time of an accident or intense traffic & given an alternative is GREAT.

I did quite a bit of research, and Garmin's are highly rated. I am thrilled with ours so far.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:33 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,467,625 times
My biggest fear with these GPS systems is that they'll route my 13' 6" truck under a 12' bridge... Having said that, they are nice if you're in a strange city and need help with directions. I guess I'm just used to reading maps. The computer routing programs like Mapquest are a pretty good second, IMHO.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,467,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
The only service you have to pay extra for is the Traffic portion. I think its $50 or $60 a year. Believe me, after our experience today - its worth every penny! Sitting stuck in traffic for hours is no fun, being warned ahead of time of an accident or intense traffic & given an alternative is GREAT.

I did quite a bit of research, and Garmin's are highly rated. I am thrilled with ours so far.
SoCalMomma, it may be more aggravation than it's worth, but a C.B. radio is an INVALUABLE aid to real-time traffic info. The bad news is that you may have to listen to a lotta garbage to hear the one thing that might save you from a traffic backup. Also, even without a C.B.; if you notice all of the big trucks moving to one lane, that's a good clue that there's something going on up ahead and they're getting lined up in the only open lane. Happy travels!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
SoCalMomma, it may be more aggravation than it's worth, but a C.B. radio is an INVALUABLE aid to real-time traffic info. The bad news is that you may have to listen to a lotta garbage to hear the one thing that might save you from a traffic backup. Also, even without a C.B.; if you notice all of the big trucks moving to one lane, that's a good clue that there's something going on up ahead and they're getting lined up in the only open lane. Happy travels!
We do have an old CB, I should dig it out of the garage and play with it. We also have an old police scanner. Forgot about those things, I bet my kids would really enjoy listening to them

The GPS is almost more of a toy than anything else at this point. I dont do much driving out of town. But we are going to be doing a east coast road trip this summer & I think it will come in handy. We are not familiar with ANYTHING in the area, so we'll rely on maps and the GPS to lead us on our way.

I'll use your tip & watch the trucks

Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,780,065 times
I use a Garmin Nuvi 350. Don’t even bother to look at paper maps now. Used it for several trips from MA to GA, for a trip from El Paso, through Las Cruces, then Silver City and Truth or Consequences NM, returning to El Paso. Never missed a beat. I don’t know how I would have gotten around San Diego in December without it. Those freeways are confusing!

Lots of great models out there. Do your research and get yourself one. You’ll love it.

Rich

Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 PM

239 posts, read 874,647 times
I LOVE our street pilot... we used to rent them from the rental car co's whenever we would go on vacation, so we just bought one before we made the move from CT to NC... it makes life so much easier, esp if you travel a lot! Love it, love it, love it!

Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 AM

287 posts, read 1,457,307 times
I just got a nuvi 660, high price but its better than getting lost. I love it.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:06 AM

192 posts, read 862,976 times
My car is a 2002 Lexus that came with the GPS Navigation system built in, and I absolutely love it. I use it constantly, and when I am travelling it is absolutely invaluable. The only place it does not work correctly at the moment is within the Big Dig here in Boston, because that work was begun after my DVD was manufactured. I keep forgetting to order a new one.. .after five years it's time!

I pay nothing for the service itself, since the equipment came with the car. I really should call my dealer and order that new DVD; I think it is about $100 but I won't need to replace it again for at least another five years!

I would never own another car without a navigation system. I even specify them in rental cars! (yes I am thoroughly spoiled by the convenience )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel