U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM

258 posts, read 1,452,594 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to go white water rafting on the Colorado through the Grand Canyon sometime this summer. I've been trying to do some research on what company to go through online and it seems that there are quite a few companies. I was hoping to get some first hand knowledge from people who have gone on this trip before. The length of the trip I want to do is somewhere between 3 - 7 days. For anyone that has been can you tell me what company you went through and would you recommend them? Also what is the best area/town to leave out of? Some of the trips I've seen leave out of Las Vegas and Lees Ferry. Scenery is good and everything but I'd like to raft some pretty heavy rapids like class 3 and 4.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 06:28 PM

128 posts, read 397,062 times
Default Not to change the topic or anything.....`

but, if you want to do some serious rapids, you ought to try the Gauley River here in West Virginia. They only run it in the fall when they do the dam releases, but it is some of the best (if not THE best) whitewater in the us.

It's not anywhere near as long as a colorado river trip, you can do both the upper and lower in 2 days, but, for what it costs to do the colorado for 5-7 days, you could fly to WV, do the Gauley 2 day overnight trip and fly back.

The Gauley has several class 5 rapids. I've done the upper, it was awesome. It's constant, just rapids, after rapids, after rapids. You hardly have time to relax between them.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 PM

43,856 posts, read 47,285,584 times
No, but I saw a special earlier this week on the History Channel or something similar about the various types of trips available on the river there. Some even included nightly camping along the shores. Looked terrific! They didn't mention the cost....but I bet you can check the prices online.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM

288 posts, read 801,470 times
A friend of mine has been a Grand Canyon river guide for many years now. His name is Dan Hall. He works for this outfit: - Grand Canyon river trips,Colorado River whitewater rafting with Canyon Explorations and Expeditions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel